Old November 25th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Bakerloo Line beyond Harrow & Wealdstone

On Nov 25, 5:15*pm, Boltar wrote:
On Nov 25, 5:03 pm, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

"Boltar" wrote

Lighten up. Its a common colloquialism and the nazis are just another
part history for anyone under the age of 63.

Only *ignorant* people under 63.
And if it's just another part of history, then why bring it up and prove
your ignorance?

Oh give it a rest FFS. The nazis weren't the first genocidal state in
history and they won't be the last. Making out there were some sort of
special case is just BS. Even in the 20th century Stalin persecuted
and murdered far more people than hitler managed yet no one objects
the the word "stalinist" being used. The Khmer Rouge are estimated to
have murdered a 5th of the total population of Cambodia and god knows
what the death toll in Rwanda is up to these days.

Yeah, and don't they realise that the current totally irrelevant and
inappropriate term for people one disagrees with is "Taliban".

("Trying to prevent people being trapped in train doors? That's how
Hitler got started.")

Old November 25th 08, 05:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 5:16*pm, D7666 wrote:
The second man is there to sell the tickets on the Stahlbahns line,
isn't he ?

Yes indeed he does sell tickets but from 2 recent trips on the line
seemed to me the guard was doing more than commercial duties and doing
the traditional gurads role.

When I commuted on the branch, there was a driver, a guard and at
least one ticket seller (in the 80s, most mornings it was a guy called
Joe who knew all the regulars). Has the separate ticket seller
disappeared now? The guard only seemed to sell tickets at weekends.

Old November 25th 08, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, D7666 wrote:

On Nov 25, 4:57 pm, Boltar wrote:

On Nov 25, 2:05 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
By the way, please don't use the word 'nazi' to describe something that's
just irritating. It's gratuitous exaggeration, doesn't help your argument,
and devalues the horrors of the real Nazis.

Lighten up. Its a common colloquialism

Indeed.

If one goes down the road of censorship i.e. by attempting to prevent
the use of certain words then [a] one is guilty of the same
totalitarianism of the subject that started this digression [b] one will
ended up not using any adjectives in case someone somewhere at sometime
did something to somebody in history.

Yeah. And then you'd just look like a spastic.

Do you see what i did there.

tom

--
The literature is filled with bizarre occurrances for which we have
no explanation
Old November 25th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:19:41 -0800 (PST) someone who may be D7666
wrote this:-

If one goes down the road of censorship i.e. by attempting to prevent
the use of certain words

I'm not sure that anyone did try and prevent the use of the N-word.
I'm not sure how they could either.

They did point out a possibly inappropriate nature of the use of the
N-word, which is rather different though I make no comment on this
particular instance. They appear to have just put forward an
opinion.

It is a point I have some sympathy for. I made a similar point when
someone described (GNER) ticket inspectors as the Gestapo. A member
of my family, now dead, had an encounter with the real Gestapo a
long time ago and they were very different to any ticket inspectors
I have ever encountered. All I will say about it is that they broke
every bone in his body. The effects (both mental and physical)
lasted until the day he died and people had to be advised what not
to do before meeting him. There was nothing even remotely amusing
about the Gestapo and it is right to point out that some comparisons
are very wide of the mark. I have zero tolerance for some
comparisons.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old November 25th 08, 06:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Nov 25, 5:15 pm, Boltar wrote:
[...]

I'm waiting for the day that someone claims that making the trains run
on time is offensive to victims of fascism, and possibly discriminates
against Abyssinians.

The other one is the constant description of passengers as being in
"cattle trucks", presumbly not meaning that they have been unable to
travel by rail since the 1970s or so, and then for export.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old November 25th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:52:17 -0000, "John Kenyon"
wrote:

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

SNIP
[1] Run fast to MKC only due to a delay, presumably so it got a free
run on the slows in front of the 1824 without delaying it. It would,
IMO, have made sense to stop it at Cheddington (if anyone wanted it)
and Bletchley, though, as it'd have seriously reduced the load on the
1824. Or to have attached 4 of its 8 cars onto the 1824 and removed
them at Bletchley.

Or simply just switch the set, and the platforms accordingly...

Er, switch 8 cars for 8? I was suggesting that the train that was
effectively being cancelled could have been split, leaving 4 cars at
Euston to pick up later, with 12 being on the useful one. The 4 could
have been removed at Bletchley by the second train's driver and guard
and sent to MKC to form the (short-formed and slightly more delayed,
but it wouldn't matter as much at that time of night on a southbound)
"missing" train, to be reunited with the other 4 at Euston.

Or something like that...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old November 25th 08, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 6:23 pm, Andy wrote:

Has the separate ticket seller
disappeared now? The guard only seemed to sell tickets at weekends.

Well if there was a 3rd crew member they stayed well hidden in one of
the cabs.

But I doubt in the 21st century any TOC would three man an operation
like Watford Snorbens.

--
Nick
Old November 25th 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 6:55 pm, wrote:

Going off at a Tangent any one know if Sarah Siddons is still
switchable between the two systems following the work done on it
recently?

I asked that question recently ... no-one seemed to know what I was
talking about and one (Metronet) [1] engineer flatly refused to
believe it had ever strayed off 3rd+4th rail.

[1] no I don't work for them

--
Nick

Old November 25th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 9:03 pm, David Hansen
wrote:

Was the locomotive able to run on a 750V system?

Yes it went to Portsmouth and Folkestone at least

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/840707mr.htm

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/850921lt.htm

as well as Windsor shuttles, maybe more.

--
Nick