Old January 25th 09, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default stay on or get off?

Traveling around the other day I found myself late in the evening at
north acton, heading home (east) the train I got on announced that
someone had committed suicide at liverpool street and hence the
central line was suspended, also that this train wasn't going anywhere
anytime soon and we were advised to take local busses, I got as far as
the top of the steps when the train pulled out...

when getting announcements like this is it generally better to 'wait
it out' on the train or bail-out onto another line or the local
busses?

I made it as far as shepards bush in the end after 30 minutes waiting
on the train on the other platform, then took the overground to
willesden junction and a freezing 30 minute wait for a stratford-bound
train.

I'm pretty sure I heard announcements on the jubilee line earlier in
the day (friday) that the line was suspended for similar reasons,
people ending up under trains seems to be alot more common than I'd
realised, an unpleasant prospect all-too-common for the drivers and a
job that must come very low on the list of things I'd like to do every
day for the people who clean up the resulting mess, my sympathies with
them all.
--
Mark Varley
www.TwistedPhotography.co.uk

Old January 25th 09, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Jan, 15:56, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
Traveling around the other day I found myself late in the evening at
north acton, heading home (east) the train I got on announced that
someone had committed suicide at liverpool street and hence the
central line was suspended, also that this train wasn't going anywhere
anytime soon and we were advised to take local busses, I got as far as
the top of the steps when the train pulled out...

when getting announcements like this is it generally better to 'wait
it out' on the train or bail-out onto another line or the local
busses?

I made it as far as shepards bush in the end after 30 minutes waiting
on the train on the other platform, then took the overground to
willesden junction and a freezing 30 minute wait for a stratford-bound
train.

Always a bit hard to say really. In your particular case it seems as
though the Central line was at least partially suspended if the next
train from North Acton only got as far as Shepherd's Bush - shame that
the driver of the first train basically said he was going nowhere and
then the train did set off, though he would have made the initial
announcement in good faith. As ever in such situations things are
rather fluid and can change quickly, that doesn't mean it's not
annoying though! (I'm wondering if the first train was in fact heading
back to the new (replacement) depot under White City shopping centre.)

In your situation I might have gone to the ticket hall at North Acton
and checked the local bus map there, then taken the 266 to Willesden
Junction - see (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...orner-2189.pdf

Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing, but there's much to be said
for decisively adopting a plan B and getting oneself on the move
again.

I take it this was a Sunday, hence the half-hour wait for a North
London Line (NLL) train at Willesden Jn?

It's perhaps worth consulting a couple of WAP sites on your mobile -
the first being the TfL's WAP site at http://wap.tfo.gov.uk which
has live information on all transport modes but is best for looking up
stuff on the Underground network.

The second is the London Overground journey check site at http://
wap.jcheck.com/londonoverground which has live information on the LO
network - there's also a full website at http://www.jcheck.com/
londonoverground too.

Lastly the National Rail live departure boards system can be accessed
via the NR WAP site at http://wap.nationalrail.co.uk - this includes
all stations on the London Overground network too so is useful for
checking up on the NLL.

If one is on a pay-as-you-go mobile tariff, then the amount of
chargeable data transferred can be reduced by turning the images off -
this is perhaps worth doing anyway as it can makes the WAP pages load
faster.

I'm pretty sure I heard announcements on the jubilee line earlier in
the day (friday) that the line was suspended for similar reasons,
people ending up under trains seems to be alot more common than I'd
realised, an unpleasant prospect all-too-common for the drivers and a
job that must come very low on the list of things I'd like to do every
day for the people who clean up the resulting mess, my sympathies with
them all.

Indeed. I saw some firefighters attending a 'person under a train'
incident a while back, one of the young guys amongst them in
particular looked a bit shaken up by it all. I think the members of
the LU Emergency Response Units have, unfortunately, seen it all
before.
Old January 25th 09, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

The driver of the first train was, I'm sure, just passing on what
information he had, someone calls and tells him to move off and away
he goes, regardless of what he was told 2 minutes earlier!

The second train, the one I was on, was going as far as queensway, at
least it was when I got off at shepards bush!

In your situation I might have gone to the ticket hall at North Acton
and checked the local bus map there, then taken the 266 to Willesden
Junction - see (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...orner-2189.pdf

Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing, but there's much to be said
for decisively adopting a plan B and getting oneself on the move
again.

I was on my way to the ticket hall in the hope of finding such a map
:-)

I take it this was a Sunday, hence the half-hour wait for a North
London Line (NLL) train at Willesden Jn?

It was friday night and I remember looking at a timetable on the wall
and noticing it was the last train of the night, delayed by 16 minutes
IIRC.

[...]

I'll bookmark those on my phone for future reference, thanks )

I'm pretty sure I heard announcements on the jubilee line earlier in
the day (friday) that the line was suspended for similar reasons,
people ending up under trains seems to be alot more common than I'd
realised, an unpleasant prospect all-too-common for the drivers and a
job that must come very low on the list of things I'd like to do every
day for the people who clean up the resulting mess, my sympathies with
them all.

Indeed. I saw some firefighters attending a 'person under a train'
incident a while back, one of the young guys amongst them in
particular looked a bit shaken up by it all. I think the members of
the LU Emergency Response Units have, unfortunately, seen it all
before.

--
Mark Varley
MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk
TwistedPhotography.co.uk
London, England.
Old January 25th 09, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 25, 3:56*pm, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:

Traveling around the other day I found myself late in the evening at
north acton, heading home (east) the train I got on announced that
someone had committed suicide at liverpool street

He'd probably been involved in that disastrous T-mobile advert.
Old January 26th 09, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In one day there were 3 incidents of people jumping under trains last Friday
on Metropolitan, Jubilee and Central.

Old January 26th 09, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:30:12 in uk.transport.london, Mizter T
writes

wrote:
Traveling around the other day I found myself late in the evening at

[snip]

It's perhaps worth consulting a couple of WAP sites on your mobile -
the first being the TfL's WAP site at http://wap.tfo.gov.uk which

I take it you mean http://wap.tfl.gov.uk. The one you gave does not
seem to exist. What I give looks much more useful on Windows Mobile than
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

The reference is good. I was looking for a round tuit to complain that
each page on Journey Planner costs ~ 400kb. The WAP site seems to run
out at ~ 10kb.
OTOH, I can drive the Journey Planner as a single hyperlink. I have
started another thread "Driving the Journey Planner from a browser
address bar" to show what I have found.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old January 26th 09, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Traveling around the other day I found myself late in the evening at

[snip]

It's perhaps worth consulting a couple of WAP sites on your mobile -
the first being the TfL's WAP site at http://wap.tfo.gov.uk which

I take it you mean http://wap.tfl.gov.uk. The one you gave does not
seem to exist. What I give looks much more useful on Windows Mobile
than
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

The reference is good. I was looking for a round tuit to complain that
each page on Journey Planner costs ~ 400kb. The WAP site seems to run
out at ~ 10kb.
OTOH, I can drive the Journey Planner as a single hyperlink. I have
started another thread "Driving the Journey Planner from a browser
address bar" to show what I have found.

If you want a stripped-down version of the Journey Planner then try
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/bcl...T2?language=en

Peter Smyth

Old January 26th 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:
If you want a stripped-down version of the Journey Planner then try
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/bcl...T2?language=en

Nice and quick from a PC, thanks

I use the "Remember me" option for WAP on my mobile - it's worth a look
if you've not used it before -
http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/sendbookmarkfromwap/ generates a unique URL for
you to bookmark and it remembers your 5-6 most (recently?) used stations
so you don't have to keep typing in the station names but can instead
select from a text list. Very useful.
Old January 31st 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 01:11:40 -0000, "Frank Incense"
wrote:

In one day there were 3 incidents of people jumping under trains last Friday
on Metropolitan, Jubilee and Central.

and it'll get worse coming up to feb 14th (

a stay in london max London Transport 16 January 7th 11 08:05 PM
Western Congestion Charge Zone to stay next a reprieve for bendybuses? trainmanUK London Transport 4 September 23rd 09 08:51 PM
Long Stay Car Parks At Uxbridge Tube Station Paul Maskell London Transport 2 July 12th 09 09:36 PM
advice please - pool inside M25 for tour team stay jtaylor London Transport 3 March 11th 05 05:57 PM
Cost of two weeks stay in London Chan WK London Transport 11 May 22nd 04 09:48 AM