Old February 2nd 09, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default All TfL buses suspended due to snow

On 2 Feb, 13:22, Chris wrote:

Bloody idiots at TfL running the tube system though...for example,
rather than ruin a much needed Met line from Baker Street into the
CIty (pretty much covered, no snow except around Faringdon, other
trains running fine through there, they tried to send it out to
Watford! When those coming in fr9om out there were all failing owing
to electrical third rail pick up faults / shorting out. So what
happenerd? Yup! it failed, twixt Finchley Road & Wembley....

At 0830 this morning, that was what they were doing, using C Stock.

Neil

Old February 2nd 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matthew
Dickinson writes
All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

Idiots running it !!

As a kid I never remember the buses stopping, even in the famous winters
in the early 60's the buses kept on going.

Now some twit of a jobs worth decides to be over zealous and brings the
capital to a halt. He/She should be publicly beaten !!

--
Edward Cowling "Eldrad Must Live !!"

Old February 2nd 09, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
writes
In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

In message
,
Mizter T writes

On 2 Feb, 09:34, Neil Williams wrote:

On 2 Feb, 09:22, "Batman55" wrote:

According to Howard Collins, COO of London Transport, buses were
taken off last night on the advice of the Met. Police (interview
on LBC news)

I don't know what conditions were like last night, so this may or may
not be justified. *It isn't justified that there is no service in
central London this morning.

Things were starting to get messy last night. Lots of sirens
presumably because of lots of smashes on the roads - I saw one.
Conditions in central London should not be taken as being indicative
of those elsewhere.

Travel West Midlands (not normally an organisation capable of
giving advice to London) are running this morning, at least on the
main roads and certainly with delays. Of course, I'm up here
today and not in London so can't fully compare conditions.
However, there's more snow here than we've had for a long time.

A blanket removal of buses seems unjustified to my (largely
untrained) mind. London needs to be able to get around.

I think you'll find that there's rather more snow in London and the South
East than in Brum. In particular, the third rail network seems to be in
big trouble.

I absolutely accept that, Colin, and included the phrase "Of course, I'm
up here
today and not in London so can't fully compare conditions" in my

e-mail to avoid being accused of jugging with outsider's eyes.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old February 2nd 09, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Dickinson wrote:
All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

Ken kens - http://snipurl.com/b5uex

JP
Old February 2nd 09, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 2, 3:42�pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message ,
writes

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

In message
,

On 2 Feb, 09:22, "Batman55" wrote:

[...]

Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide for London and the Heart of Englandhttp://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Having had to drive into London this afternoon (having had to abandon
my trip to Isle of Wight via the Southampton ferry, at Winchester
Services last night because of the appalling conditions on the M3),
despite the snow and slush, it was a real pleasure to have the roads
free of badly-driven buses all the way from Richmond to Fulham!

What surprised me, however, was that the bus lanes (not in use for
obvious reasons) appeared to be fully snowed-in, as if the gritting
lorries had deliberately left them alone.

Marc.

Old February 2nd 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 2, 1:48*pm, Neil Williams wrote:
Bloody idiots at TfL running the tube system though...for example,
rather than ruin a much needed Met line from Baker Street into the
CIty (pretty much covered, no snow except around Faringdon, other
trains running fine through there, they tried to send it out to
Watford! When those coming in fr9om out there were all failing owing
to electrical third rail pick up faults / shorting out. So what
happenerd? Yup! it failed, twixt Finchley Road & Wembley....

At 0830 this morning, that was what they were doing, using C Stock.

Quite. Given that the Met depot is in Wembley, that terminating
southbound trains at Baker Street is easy, and that if you use C-stock
you can run a through service to Edgware Road (early this morning) and
Hammersmith (by mid-afternoon), running the shuttle using H&C stock
seems sensible.

Running it to turn around at Whitechapel would've been better than
running it to Aldgate though (as it was there was no service between
Aldgate and Tower Hill or between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East,
which was annoying).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old February 2nd 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"BoristheSpider" wrote in message
How do you know the bus drivers took the decision, surely it's highly
likely that management took the decision to avoid accidents and an
appearance in court.

I wouldn't do their job and put up with people like you.
Bus drivers are lazy scum?

Surely an accident is an every day occurance anyway. Should we have no buses
on the basis there might be an accident. No buses when there is rain, fog,
below zero temperatures. Perhaps we could all hibernate.

Kevin

Old February 2nd 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matthew
Dickinson writes

All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

Times have changed.

I was at school in the early 1960s, and the winter of 62/63 (the coldest
since 1740) started with three days of impenetrable fog in early
December, followed by storms and then virtually continuous snow cover
from Boxing Day until March.

School didn't close once, nor did the buses stop running.

Times have changed.

My grandfather, who was station master at Monument, once walked 15 miles
to work in one of the impenetrable smogs of the 1950s - he got up at
midnight and left home before 1am, and was only a little late in opening
up the station soon after 6am - I always remember him complaining that
he had to walk slowly because visibility was down to three feet in
places.

But somehow everything kept going after a fashion - I guess it was the
remnants of the wartime spirit of not giving up when the going gets
tough.
--
Paul Terry
Old February 2nd 09, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
On 2 Feb, 10:47, Neil Williams wrote:
On 2 Feb, 10:43, Ian Jelf wrote:

One fact *might* be staff getting to the garage, of course.

To some extent, this is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Neil

Also bear in mind that nearly all the bus garages are in the suburbs.
It's not a question of central London being full of buses that can
stop short.

We haven't had snow this heavy for 18 years but did buses still run 18 years
ago. What is different now to then.
Were bus drivers more skilled then?

Kevin

Old February 2nd 09, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Zen83237 wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

Also bear in mind that nearly all the bus garages are in the suburbs.
It's not a question of central London being full of buses that can
stop short.

We haven't had snow this heavy for 18 years but did buses still run 18 years
ago. What is different now to then.
Were bus drivers more skilled then?

Kevin

As previously mentioned, depots are further away from their start point
making it more difficult to put out service before any accidents happen.

The 207 bendy depot at Stockley Park, for example,is about six miles
from its start point at Hayes bypass and a full fifteen from White City
(via the A40).
And the depot is not the most bus friendly location.

Secondly, the culture of "Hello? Claims Direct,a bus slid into your car
sir? Let me provide you with a lawyer" may have influenced managers
decisions to put members of the general public at risk.

Bob