Old March 25th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default (Times): Britain to have fastest train service in the worldwithin 12 years

I think I'd rather have the most reliable train service in the world
than the fastest...
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

Old March 26th 09, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Am Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:48:43 UTC, schrieb Mizter T
auf uk.railway :

* The two lines would be linked together with a central station
underneath Euston Road between Euston Station and King's Cross... The
Eastern branch would have a direct link coming from Ebbsfleet Int'l to
the North.

Excellent. Not quite sure what happens to the evicted Circle/Met line,
water and gas mains and sewer that currently reside underneath Euston
Road. I'm pretty sure the British Library is fairly firmly installed
at their new-ish location too.

To avoid the catastrophy of the Cologne Historical Archive which
fell into the underground building site for a underground line...

I think the British Library is a further back from the road, though.

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old March 26th 09, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:31:16 +0100, "Lüko Willms"
wrote:

Am Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:48:43 UTC, schrieb Mizter T
auf uk.railway :

* The two lines would be linked together with a central station
underneath Euston Road between Euston Station and King's Cross... The
Eastern branch would have a direct link coming from Ebbsfleet Int'l to
the North.

Excellent. Not quite sure what happens to the evicted Circle/Met line,
water and gas mains and sewer that currently reside underneath Euston
Road. I'm pretty sure the British Library is fairly firmly installed
at their new-ish location too.

To avoid the catastrophy of the Cologne Historical Archive which
fell into the underground building site for a underground line...

I think the British Library is a further back from the road, though.

It is also a much more recent building and IIRC built to be somewhat
more "disaster-proof".
Old March 26th 09, 07:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Am Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:16:30 UTC, schrieb Charles Ellson
auf uk.railway :

To avoid the catastrophy of the Cologne Historical Archive which
fell into the underground building site for a underground line...

I think the British Library is a further back from the road, though.

It is also a much more recent building and IIRC built to be somewhat
more "disaster-proof".

This building in Cologne had no problems until the underground line
was built right next to it. The sucked the ground away from underneath
the building with the ground water. The transit company had accepted
the offer from a construction company for a cheaper method and thus
not built a HDI sole at the bottom of the pit.

But this is off-topic in this thread...

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old March 26th 09, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

To avoid the catastrophy of the Cologne Historical Archive which
fell into the underground building site for a underground line...

I think the British Library is a further back from the road, though.

It is also a much more recent building and IIRC built to be somewhat
more "disaster-proof".

If they did exactly what was done at Cologne in front of the British
Library, that building would also have fallen into the hole.

Old March 26th 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Am Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:44:56 UTC, schrieb Tony Polson
auf uk.railway :

I think the British Library is a further back from the road, though.

It is also a much more recent building and IIRC built to be somewhat
more "disaster-proof".

If they did exactly what was done at Cologne in front of the British
Library, that building would also have fallen into the hole.

I don't think so since I think that the conditions underground are
quite different.

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old March 26th 09, 10:17 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 25/03/09 20:22, Lüko Willms wrote:
-- the other one leaving central London to the East, stopping at
Stratfort Int'l, then turning North with a station at Stanstead
airport, Cambridge, and then Leeds.

You've missed out both the East Midlands and South Yorkshire.

Roger
Old March 26th 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Lüko Willms" wrote:

Am Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:44:56 UTC, schrieb Tony Polson
auf uk.railway :

I think the British Library is a further back from the road, though.

It is also a much more recent building and IIRC built to be somewhat
more "disaster-proof".

If they did exactly what was done at Cologne in front of the British
Library, that building would also have fallen into the hole.

I don't think so since I think that the conditions underground are
quite different.

Perhaps you don't exactly understand the meaning of the word "exactly".

Old March 27th 09, 03:44 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Fri, 27 Mar 2009 00:09:25 UTC, schrieb Tony Polson
auf uk.railway :

Perhaps you don't exactly understand the meaning of the word "exactly".

My reading filter always tries to make sense of what I read. Well,
mostly.

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old March 27th 09, 06:03 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roger Lynn wrote:
On 25/03/09 20:22, Lüko Willms wrote:
-- the other one leaving central London to the East, stopping at
Stratfort Int'l, then turning North with a station at Stanstead
airport, Cambridge, and then Leeds.

You've missed out both the East Midlands and South Yorkshire.

Roger

How about Grantham? That would annoy the old bat.

--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management