Old March 24th 09, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default (Times): Britain to have fastest train service in the worldwithin 12 years

On 24 Mar, 17:36, wrote:

IMHO Euston is probably the best London Terminus for London to
Birmingham/Manchester and the North train. *This is despite the fact
that Euston is a cold Polsonite 1960s structure.

Are you sure you don't mean "Poulsonite"?

Anyway, I don't think it's cold at all. It's a lovely airy space, and
viewed from the balcony is really quite exhilarating.

Ian

Old March 24th 09, 05:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 24, 10:58*am, Neil Williams wrote:
On 24 Mar, 17:36, wrote:

IMHO Euston is probably the best London Terminus for London to
Birmingham/Manchester and the North train. *This is despite the fact
that Euston is a cold Polsonite 1960s structure.

Cold in an emotional sense, maybe. *But not in a physical sense -
while people are freezing their proverbials off in nice-looking
traditional stations, the Euston concourse is nice and warm, and
equally nice and cool on a hot day.

With that I cannot disagree.

It has its faults, but it is probably my favourite London terminus.

So often Neil, I agree with your comments. On this one we differ.
Euston is my least favorite.

Euston Station is architecturally unappealing (to me). It is way back
from Euston Road. When one has reached the building it is still a
long way to the platforms and their awful ramps.

Old March 24th 09, 05:11 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 24, 11:01*am, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 24 Mar, 17:36, wrote:

IMHO Euston is probably the best London Terminus for London to
Birmingham/Manchester and the North train. *This is despite the fact
that Euston is a cold Polsonite 1960s structure.

Are you sure you don't mean "Poulsonite"?

No, I mean it commons from the "lowest common denominator, concrete
communism" school beloved by Scotland's benefactor, and uk.railway
village idiot, Polson.

Anyway, I don't think it's cold at all. It's a lovely airy space, and
viewed from the balcony is really quite exhilarating.

Each to their own doc. For the reasons listed elsewhere in this
thread, I do not like it. "It ain't got soul".

Old March 24th 09, 05:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 24 Mar, 18:07, wrote:

So often Neil, I agree with your comments. *On this one we differ.
Euston is my least favorite.

Euston Station is architecturally unappealing (to me). *It is way back
from Euston Road. *When one has reached the building it is still a
long way to the platforms and their awful ramps.

The front is nothing special and the platforms are a bit dire, but the
circulating area is really nice. For a start - and thanks to those
ramps - it's the only non-draughty station in London.

Ian

Old March 24th 09, 05:55 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 24 Mar, 17:36, wrote:

IMHO Euston is probably the best London Terminus for London to
Birmingham/Manchester and the North train. This is despite the fact
that Euston is a cold Polsonite 1960s structure.

Are you sure you don't mean "Poulsonite"?

No, I mean it comes from the "lowest common denominator, concrete

Old March 24th 09, 09:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:30:24 on Tue,
24 Mar 2009, Paul Terry remarked:
The was a time when there was a mini rush hour at about 10:30 in the
evening when the theater shows ended. I don't know if that is still
the case.

It is. Between 10pm and 11pm it is often impossible to board a
westbound Piccadilly train at Leicester Square because of the crowds. I
often let several go before finding one that I can just about get
shoe-horned into - even then it's often standing room only until
Hammersmith.

but you won't find that 10pm rush hour penetrating as far as Intercity
services. Most major London termini are deserted from 8pm onwards.
Old March 25th 09, 05:00 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Am Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:46:12 UTC, schrieb Neil Williams
auf uk.railway :

Travel *into* London for business is the most important (and largest)
market served by rail in London.

Sure, but even then, this is more than just Euston Road from Euston
Station to King's Cross, isn't it?

The UK is not like Germany with no particular centre. People are far
more likely to need to go *to* Central London than *from* the suburbs,
even given the population there.

OK, I got that point. But does London have one particular center
like one place or street crossing where everything happens and where
everybody wants or has to go? Don't people who arrive at Euston Road
from somewhere north do not have to use "the creakingly slow
LUL/LOROL", buses, or taxis?

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old March 25th 09, 05:31 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:00:56 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

but you won't find that 10pm rush hour penetrating as far as Intercity
services. Most major London termini are deserted from 8pm onwards.

There seems to be a mini-rush on LM around 2200, though I always
assumed this to be due to people going for a drink or 3 after work.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 25th 09, 05:38 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:00:53 +0100, "L=?ISO-8859-1?B?/A==?=ko Willms"
wrote:

Sure, but even then, this is more than just Euston Road from Euston
Station to King's Cross, isn't it?

Yes, but it's Central London, which is pretty much an area bounded by
the Circle Line plus a bit, give or take Canary Wharf.

OK, I got that point. But does London have one particular center
like one place or street crossing where everything happens and where
everybody wants or has to go? Don't people who arrive at Euston Road
from somewhere north do not have to use "the creakingly slow
LUL/LOROL", buses, or taxis?

Yes, but (Crossrail aside, which is a good point if the terminus was
in the west) they will have to use it for longer, which will offset
some of the gains.

Neil

--
Neil Williams