Old June 7th 09, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Suggestions for my next vistit requested

I'm visiting London again this friday for a whole weeks stay. Is there
anything interesting transport-related I could catch while I'm there? I'm
also open to other suggestions. I have tried to compile a list of what I've
done so far at jarle.com/london/ .

I'm considering doing a section of the London Outer Orbital Path. Any
suggestions as to which section? So far I'm considering section 12
(Uxbridge to Harefield West) or 20 (Chigwell to Havering atte Bower).

--
jhk

Old June 7th 09, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in message
I'm visiting London again this friday for a whole weeks stay. Is there
anything interesting transport-related I could catch while I'm there? I'm
also open to other suggestions. I have tried to compile a list of what
I've
done so far at jarle.com/london/ .

I'm considering doing a section of the London Outer Orbital Path. Any
suggestions as to which section? So far I'm considering section 12
(Uxbridge to Harefield West) or 20 (Chigwell to Havering atte Bower).

--
jhk

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/
shares a station with National Rail so easy to get to (but not particularly
quick from London). The "country" end of the line (Alresford) isn't very
far from Winchester which is a nice town and has a quicker service back to
London, scroll through the "Visiting us" section on the site and there are
details of various buses and trains.
http://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk/

Old June 7th 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
I'm visiting London again this friday for a whole weeks stay. Is there
anything interesting transport-related I could catch while I'm there? I'm
also open to other suggestions. I have tried to compile a list of what I've
done so far at jarle.com/london/ .

The Tower, yes, the British museum, yes ... but Centrale shopping
centre, Croydon?! Tramlink might be of interest - route of the world's
first public railway (not that you'd know from riding it!), then a
cross-country route to New Addington.

There are various heritage railways - the Mid Hants and (more awkwardly)
the Bluebell are reachable from London.

Unless you already have, and the list is edited to be just London, how
about getting well out of London and seeing some of the rest of the
country? York is 2 h away and has the world's biggest railway museum.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 7th 09, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 20:19:25 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

There are various heritage railways - the Mid Hants and (more awkwardly)
the Bluebell are reachable from London.

And Didcot is only an hour or so out, two stops from Paddington. Don't
bother with Hamleys, but definitely allow a whole day for the British
Museum. I work next to One Canada Square, it's not much of a tourist
attraction - can you go up to the top as a visitor? The top of the
three tall buildings in Canary Wharf does give a fabulous view over
London (I work 180ft up in that very square). The Royal Observatory
is close by.

The London Transport Museum is good, the RAF museum is at Hendon which
is a fair trek if you only have a week but well worth the effort if
you are a plane nut.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
Old June 7th 09, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
There are various heritage railways - the Mid Hants and (more awkwardly)
the Bluebell are reachable from London.

And Didcot is only an hour or so out, two stops from Paddington. Don't
bother with Hamleys, but definitely allow a whole day for the British
Museum. *I work next to One Canada Square, it's not much of a tourist
attraction - can you go up to the top as a visitor? *The top of the
three tall buildings in Canary Wharf does give a fabulous view over
London (I work 180ft up in that very square). *The Royal Observatory
is close by.

There's no visitor access to One Canada Square or any of the other
skyscrapers at Canary Wharf. London isn't great with regards to being
able to visit the top of tall buildings, at least not simply to look
at the view - Post Office Tower's been off the agenda for years as
well of course, both the observation galleries and the restaurant.
There's a champagne bar at the top of Tower 42, aka the NatWest Tower,
but you need reservations. There's another restaurant at the top of
the Gherkin which affords great views, but that's a private dining
arrangement.

The millennium wheel aka London Eye is pretty good for the high
panoramic view over London, if the OP hasn't been on it I'd definitely
recommend it. A bit further down the river, there's the bar at the Oxo
Tower - it isn't that high up, but the views are good, as are the
pricey cocktails. The members balcony at the Tate Modern is good as
well, but it's obviously for members only, unless you manage to blag
it somehow. There's various other top floor or rooftop bars and
restaurants as well of course.

Anyway, I digress - this isn't what the OP asked about! FWIW, I'd say
Canary Wharf is an interesting place to visit in and of itself, even
if just taking a look around. The Museum in Docklands is pretty good
too.

The London Transport Museum is good, the RAF museum is at Hendon which
is a fair trek if you only have a week but well worth the effort if
you are a plane nut.

It's not really far away - though it does rather depend on where Jarle
is starting from of course!

Old June 7th 09, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:00:33 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

There's no visitor access to One Canada Square or any of the other
skyscrapers at Canary Wharf. London isn't great with regards to being
able to visit the top of tall buildings, at least not simply to look
at the view - Post Office Tower's been off the agenda for years as
well of course, both the observation galleries and the restaurant.
There's a champagne bar at the top of Tower 42, aka the NatWest Tower,
but you need reservations. There's another restaurant at the top of
the Gherkin which affords great views, but that's a private dining
arrangement.

I know that my building has no visitor access, but hadn't asked about
No. 1. Coincidentally, the old office was opposite the Gerkhin.

Incidentally, I love Tate Modern and the National Gallery. Not
transport related (unless you count the haywain).

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
Old June 7th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Incidentally, I love Tate Modern and the National Gallery. Not
transport related (unless you count the haywain).

Rain, Steam and Speed?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 7th 09, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I didn't see HMS Belfast on your list. It's across the River from the Tower.
Old June 7th 09, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

The RAF museum is at Hendon

....close to Colindale station.

Old June 8th 09, 03:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
There are various heritage railways - the Mid Hants and (more awkwardly)
the Bluebell are reachable from London.

If you're willing to get out of town, how about the Isle of Wight? 1.5
hours on the train to Portsmouth from Waterloo, then 15 mins on the ferry
(catamaran, I think). There are 1938 tube trains connecting with the ferry
and running down the east side of the Island in their retirement, and these
connect with the Isle of Wight steam railway.

At Portsmouth there's also the historic dockyard: Mary Rose (1510), HMS
Victory (Nelson's ship from Trafalgar, 1805), HMS Warrior 1860 (first
British ironclad). And plenty of other current naval ships (there's perhaps
a better view of these from the Continental Ferry Terminal, but I'm not sure
it would be a terribly good idea to wander around there snapping away).

That's probably too much to fit into a day...

Theo