Old July 23rd 09, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

The message
from Bruce contains these words:

Cotherstone (or is it Cotherston, I can never remember) made in
Durham, is an interesting cheese, although it's not always easy to get.

Is that another blue? Can't say I have ever come across it.

White, reasonably firm, not crumbly. Made with unpasteurised milk on a
farm in, surprise, Cotherstone (with an "e"). If your local
cheese-monger has heard of it, keep supporting him/her, because they
know about cheese - but if they offer to get it for you, ask them if
they know how far it is to Barnard Castle... Alternatively, divert from
your usual route back from Lancashire and call at the Cheese Shop in
Northgate Street in Chester - they often have it in stock(and they drive
over to Cotherstone to get it).

--
Dave,
Frodsham

Old July 23rd 09, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at
18:47:53 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Legally, Stilton *can't* be made in Stilton.

Which isn't entirely illogical as Stilton was where it was sold, rather
than made.
Old July 23rd 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Bruce wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:11:21 +0100, David Jackson
wrote:
The message . li
from Tom Anderson contains these words:

One so advanced they've lost the need to make decent cheese, apparently.

No, as it happens. You just need to buy the Real Thing(TM), not
something invented in ASDATescoburys. I have some rather tasty Cheshire
Blue on my plate right now...

Is Cheshire Blue really "the Real Thing?"?

Without any AOC regulations such as those that apply to. for example,
Champagne wines and Melton Mowbray pork pies, no Cheshire cheese can
be truly said to be "the Real Thing?".

No, that means that no Cheshire cheese can be *officially* the Real Thing,
but that has nothing to do with whether it can be *truly* the Real Thing.
The distinction between laws and truth is one that seems to have been
consistently overlooked in this whole thread!

But surely blue was not one of the traditional cheeses associated with
the Cheshire "brand"?

It's certainly not what people associate with 'Cheshire cheese' today. Not
that i'm saying it's not good - Cheshire strikes me as a cheese which
would make a very good blue.

As for Cheddar, any cheese that can be made in locations as far away
from Cheddar Gorge as Canada and Israel cannot expect to be taken
seriously. ;-)

tediousOf course, 'cheddar' nowadays refers to the use of the cheddaring
process in manufacturing. It's perfectly correct to describe Canadian or
Zambian cheddar as cheddar if it's made the right way (although plenty of
people refer to cheese made the wrong way as cheddar, notably Americans).
This may or may not be a good thing for consumers and/or the people of
West Somerset, but that's the way it is. See also brie, which is no longer
restricted to the Brie region of the Ile de France, champagne, a name
which is applied to non-Champenoise wines by some people (notably
Americans again), and London Dry Gin.

tom

--
Oh, and sometimes in order to survive you have to drink the irradiated
water from an old toilet. -- Jon, on Fallout
Old July 23rd 09, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:37:26 +0100, David Jackson
wrote:
The message
from Bruce contains these words:

Is that another blue? Can't say I have ever come across it.

White, reasonably firm, not crumbly. Made with unpasteurised milk on a
farm in, surprise, Cotherstone (with an "e"). If your local
cheese-monger has heard of it, keep supporting him/her, because they
know about cheese - but if they offer to get it for you, ask them if
they know how far it is to Barnard Castle... Alternatively, divert from
your usual route back from Lancashire and call at the Cheese Shop in
Northgate Street in Chester - they often have it in stock(and they drive
over to Cotherstone to get it).

Thanks!

I buy cheeses from cheesemongers in Oxford, Stilton, Biggleswade
(Bedfordshire) and on occasional trips to Lancaster, plus some mail
order. I doubt that the southerners would be willing to drive all
that way, but the one in Lancaster might, or possibly he already does.
I will call him tomorrow and see if he can get some for me. Failing
that I could make a detour on my trip back from Scotland.

I supply cheese (and coffee) to a couple of restaurateurs I know who
are always willing to try something new.

Old July 23rd 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:47:53 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:
Bruce wrote:

As for Cheddar, any cheese that can be made in locations as far away
from Cheddar Gorge as Canada and Israel cannot expect to be taken
seriously. ;-)

Legally, Stilton *can't* be made in Stilton.

No, but it can be sold there, and is. ;-)

Old July 23rd 09, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
18:47:53 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Legally, Stilton *can't* be made in Stilton.

Which isn't entirely illogical as Stilton was where it was sold, rather
than made.

Mars bars next?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 24th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Mizter T" wrote
What I've read beforehand is that neither Herfordshire CC nor any of the
Buckinghamshire local authorities (Bucks CC having been abolished in
favour of unitary authorities) subsidise ...

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/sites/bcc/...r_Council.page
says Buckinghamshire CC exists and is based in Aylesbury (perhaps somewhere
near uk.r HQ).

Within Buckinghamshire I think it's [1] just Milton Keynes that's a Unitary
Authority, i.e. outside the administrative county but inside the ceremonial
(lord-lieutenancy) one.

[1] That's the real it's. See http://angryflower.com/itsits.gif

Old July 24th 09, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Jul 23, 8:08*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
tediousOf course, 'cheddar' nowadays refers to the use of the cheddaring
process in manufacturing. It's perfectly correct to describe Canadian or
Zambian cheddar as cheddar if it's made the right way (although plenty of
people refer to cheese made the wrong way as cheddar, notably Americans).
This may or may not be a good thing for consumers and/or the people of
West Somerset, but that's the way it is. See also brie, which is no longer
restricted to the Brie region of the Ile de France, champagne, a name
which is applied to non-Champenoise wines by some people (notably
Americans again), and London Dry Gin.

It's not made in London, it's wet, and it's not made in Geneva
either...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old July 24th 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"John Salmon" writes:
Within Buckinghamshire I think it's [1] just Milton Keynes that's a
Unitary Authority, i.e. outside the administrative county but inside the
ceremonial (lord-lieutenancy) one.

Incidentally, it's entirely off-topic, but is Milton Keynes as horrid as
it sounds?

-Miles

--
Quack, n. A murderer without a license.
Old July 24th 09, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, John B wrote:

On Jul 23, 8:08*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
tediousOf course, 'cheddar' nowadays refers to the use of the cheddaring
process in manufacturing. It's perfectly correct to describe Canadian or
Zambian cheddar as cheddar if it's made the right way (although plenty of
people refer to cheese made the wrong way as cheddar, notably Americans).
This may or may not be a good thing for consumers and/or the people of
West Somerset, but that's the way it is. See also brie, which is no longer
restricted to the Brie region of the Ile de France, champagne, a name
which is applied to non-Champenoise wines by some people (notably
Americans again), and London Dry Gin.

It's not made in London, it's wet, and it's not made in Geneva
either...

Doesn't 'genever' mean 'juniper' in Dutch, and have 0 to do with
Switzerland?

tom

--
Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs - formal logical proofs
that particular computations are possible, expressed in a formal system