Old October 19th 03, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Congestion charge cheat

In article m, Martin
Underwood writes

It is a great shame that the IAM seems content to abide by whatever speed
limit or other restriction has been set, rather than campaigning to get
absurd limits raised or excessively restricting junctions re-designed. As an
IAM member myself, I sometimes despair of their hands-off
we-don't-want-to-get-involved attitude.

www.abd.org.uk may be of interest.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old October 19th 03, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article m, Martin
Underwood writes

"Robert Woolley" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:18:43 +0100, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

In article , Robert

Woolley
writes

Speed does kill. You don;t have to be a genius to understand that

the
faster the speed of a vehicle, the longer it takes to stop. And the
faster it hits something else the greater the damage.

No. Bad driving kills. The driver selects what speed they drive at. If
that speed is inappropriate then it's bad driving. Nothing else.

I'm a former member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. Are you?

Nope.

But I hold a PSV licence, gained after comprehensive training. I also
hold a RoSPA road safety engineering certficate, a BSc in Transport
Management and Planning, Chartered Membership of the Chartered
Institute of Logistics and Transport, plus Corporate Membership of the
Institution of Highways and Transportation.

OK. Maybe you can answer this question: what are the circumstances under
which a single 4-way roundabout should be replaced by two linked 3-way

mini
roundabouts? There's a sod of a junction near me which always gets

snarled
up with traffic (junction of Drayton Road, Spring Lane and the two halves

of
Ock Street in Abingdon) and it seems to me that it would have a much

greater
throughput of traffic if it was converted back to a single larger

roundabout
because it would save drivers having to check twice for vehicles from

their
right - once on the first roundabout and then again on the second.

Martin

I know the junction you mean.

We have an even worse one here in High Wycombe and as for the Magic
Roundabout in Swindon.......

Yes, the Magic Roundabout in Swindon is a pain in the bum: it's as if the
road designers decided to make it as tortuous as possible - being cynical, I
wonder if they decided to make it hazardous so as to keep the traffic speed
down: which is silly because the deliberate hazards distract the drivers'
attention from the hazards that they should be looking for - other road
users!

And then there's the roundabout in Hemel Hempstead. This started out as one
big 6-way roundabout. It worked fairly well. Then the traffic planners took
it into their silly meddlesome heads to place a mini roundabout where each
road joins the big roundabout (which they reduced in diameter). To negotiate
the roundabout, you now have to go round several mini roundabouts. Moreover,
if you are turning right, you go clockwise round each mini roundabout but
*anti-clockwise* round the central roundabout, which feels very wrong:

http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/hemel.gif

There are now three places (marked with an X) where a driver must check for
traffic on his right, whereas on a normal roundabout there is only one -
normally once you are on a roundabout you do not have to give way to anyone.

Strangely the roundabouts in High Wycombe (I presume you mean the ones near
the Fire Station and at the bottom of Marlow Hill) don't seem too bad -
maybe because they are spaced far enough apart that they don't seem like one
big junction - you have you sufficient time and distance to "recover" from
one before encountering the next.

Another question for our road layout expert: who decides which mini
roundabouts are raised up and which are simply white discs painted on the
road? You'd think it would be determined by the amount of circulating space:
if there's plenty, have a raised-up one and make traffic go round it; if
there's no enough maneouvring space, have a painted disc and let traffic go
over the top of it - it's there purely to establish fair play. But no, the
"experts" in Didcot have one on the Broadway (the high street) which it is
impossible to drive round even in a small car - there's just not enough
space between the roundabaout and the kerb. And this one is raised - it's
like going over a one-sided speed hump. If anyone were to misjudge its
severity and negotiate it too fast, they'd lose control and go straight into
the shoppers on the pavement. If only that was a painted roundabout, it
would be so much easier.

Old October 19th 03, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article m, Martin
Underwood writes

And then there's the roundabout in Hemel Hempstead. This started out as one
big 6-way roundabout. It worked fairly well. Then the traffic planners took
it into their silly meddlesome heads to place a mini roundabout where each
road joins the big roundabout (which they reduced in diameter). To negotiate
the roundabout, you now have to go round several mini roundabouts. Moreover,
if you are turning right, you go clockwise round each mini roundabout but
*anti-clockwise* round the central roundabout, which feels very wrong:

http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/hemel.gif

There are now three places (marked with an X) where a driver must check for
traffic on his right, whereas on a normal roundabout there is only one -
normally once you are on a roundabout you do not have to give way to anyone.

I know this junction well but don't often get held up there despite the
traffic conflicts. The lanes are badly marked and you can have 2 lanes
of right turning traffic both trying to get into the left turn lane for
the next roundabout 15m ahead.

Strangely the roundabouts in High Wycombe (I presume you mean the ones near
the Fire Station and at the bottom of Marlow Hill) don't seem too bad -
maybe because they are spaced far enough apart that they don't seem like one
big junction - you have you sufficient time and distance to "recover" from
one before encountering the next.

Try them at 8.30am tomorrow morning!
Old October 19th 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:

I'm a former member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. Are you?

Nope.

But I hold a PSV licence, gained after comprehensive training. I also
hold a RoSPA road safety engineering certficate, a BSc in Transport
Management and Planning, Chartered Membership of the Chartered
Institute of Logistics and Transport, plus Corporate Membership of
the Institution of Highways and Transportation.

I *love* willy-waving contests.

Come back when you've both finished, would you?

Well *I* think having held a Competition Licence for the last 12 years makes
me a better driver than either of them :-)))

Old October 19th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Huge
writes

I *love* willy-waving contests.

Come back when you've both finished, would you?

Are you sure he has a willy?

Old October 19th 03, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:48:54 GMT, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

[on Hemel/Swindon magic roundabouts]

I've heard that the reason for the change at Hemel was that there were
too many large, reportable accidents going on (involving injury etc).
The result of the change was apparently to reduce this count
significantly as the traffic was moving more slowly. However, what it
also succeeded in doing was to increase substantially the count of
minor, damage-only, non-reportable accidents instead.

Could be being cynical, but having cycled around it (not driven it) I
can believe it.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old October 20th 03, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:59:34 GMT, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

How will a transponder-based system work for a one-off visitor to London?
Will he need to plan his visit in advance and obtain a transponder before
the day of his visit? Or will there be a no-penalty system (ie congestion
charge but no more than that) for people who do not have a transponder?

I thought that recent discussion has been in relation to a national
requirement, not just for London.

Anything which requires a permit to enter to be bought in advance will be a
real pain - like having to buy train tickets in advance to get discounted
rates. What is needed is a system which bills people after the event, not
one that requires them to buy a permit in advance.

Very few services operate on that level in general.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old October 20th 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chomski" wrote in message
So? I've got a huge cock so I'm better than all of you.

Have you got any huge hens as well?

Old October 20th 03, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:

So? I've got a huge cock so I'm better than all of you.

Have you got any huge hens as well?

Damn! That's almost exactly what I was about to say :-))))