Old October 25th 03, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , Nicholas F
Hodder writes
For the same reason staff at Waterloo deny that virtually every train
that departs will stop at Clapham Common. To stop people getting on!!

So are you saying that station staff and train drivers involved are liars
and have a policy of deliberate misinformation?

There appears to be a policy of disinformation regarding Clapham
Junction, yes. Probably Watford Junction too (for northbound former
Intercity services). There is also deliberate misinformation at Kings
Cross regarding the destination of certain trains. They announce
"Foxton" when the train actually goes to Cambridge. In all cases they
appear to believe that the level of misinformation is justified in the
Great Scheme Of Things.

That is because Clapham Junction and Watford Junction are both pick-up only
stops on some long distance routes. Therefore there is no point listing a
station that you cannot legally (in theory at least) get off at.

As for Foxton, these are the slow trains which get overtaken by faster trains
before reaching Cambridge and listing them as Cambridge trains may mean
Cambridge passengers would use them and have an unnecessarily long journey.

Peter Smyth

Old October 25th 03, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

As for Foxton, these are the slow trains which get overtaken by faster trains
before reaching Cambridge and listing them as Cambridge trains may mean
Cambridge passengers would use them and have an unnecessarily long journey.

It's a pity they can't do this with Oxford trains at Reading and
Paddington (announce them as Radley or Didcot). I quite often find that
when people come to visit me here, they end up catching a slow train
because it said 'Oxford', whereas trains to Worcester, Stratford,
Birmingham, Manchester etc often overtake the 'stopper' enroute.
Oxford itself is much better, as the display has sections giving the
times of the next fast trains to Reading and Paddington.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old October 25th 03, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:16:40 +0000, Robin May wrote:
I agree that the designation is pointless. I also don't see what action
they can take. "Oi, you! GET BACK ON THAT TRAIN! You aren't allowed off
it here!"

Extend byelaws so that people getting off can be fined as if they are
traveling without a ticket.
Old October 25th 03, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

That is because Clapham Junction and Watford Junction are both pick-up

only
stops on some long distance routes. Therefore there is no point listing a
station that you cannot legally (in theory at least) get off at.

And, in the case of Watford Junction, set down only for trains headed for
Euston. If you look at their indicator boards, they show Virgin trains as
"terminates here".
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old October 26th 03, 01:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:56:16 +0000, Terry Harper wrote:

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

That is because Clapham Junction and Watford Junction are both pick-up

only
stops on some long distance routes. Therefore there is no point listing a
station that you cannot legally (in theory at least) get off at.

And, in the case of Watford Junction, set down only for trains headed for
Euston. If you look at their indicator boards, they show Virgin trains as
"terminates here".

They should close the platform to arrivals before the train gets in for
those situations

Old October 26th 03, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Robin May wrote:
I agree that the designation is pointless. I also don't see what action
they can take. "Oi, you! GET BACK ON THAT TRAIN! You aren't allowed off
it here!"

Arrange for the train not to stop, have a contingent of revenue
protection people on board, arrange taxi's for people who want to
travel from Finsbury.

The penalties (and additional fares back) from a similar exercise
on a Paddington - Bristol (u at Reading) service was enough to pay
for the extra staff time, and the taxis. Or so rumour has it.

--
Good night little fishey-wishes.... I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.

Old October 26th 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:56:39 +0000, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article ,
Robin May wrote:
I agree that the designation is pointless. I also don't see what action
they can take. "Oi, you! GET BACK ON THAT TRAIN! You aren't allowed off
it here!"

Arrange for the train not to stop, have a contingent of revenue
protection people on board, arrange taxi's for people who want to
travel from Finsbury.

While the ticket inspector idea is good, an idea occurs - why not have an
empty carriage or two at Paddington and only open the doors to that
carriage, not the Paddington carriages, at reading? Lock the inside doors
and you have no-one getting off without permission from the conductor.
Old October 26th 03, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:37:22 +0000, Huge wrote:

Paul Weaver writes:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:16:40 +0000, Robin May wrote:
I agree that the designation is pointless. I also don't see what action
they can take. "Oi, you! GET BACK ON THAT TRAIN! You aren't allowed off
it here!"

Extend byelaws so that people getting off can be fined as if they are
traveling without a ticket.

[Derisive snort] Yeah, right. Like the trains don't suck enough as
it is.

They suck because of commuters abusing long distance trains.
Old October 26th 03, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:44:47 +0000, Huge wrote:
God forbid that people should be allowed to use the trains they pay
for. That would *never* do.

As I understand it, the money raised by a ticket from Euston to Watford
Junction goes to commuter services on that route, not intercity services.
You've payed for the slow crappy commuter train, not the fast direct
train.
Old October 26th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Weaver
writes
They suck because of commuters abusing long distance trains.

WAGN? Long distance?? They *are* the commuter trains.