Old October 15th 09, 07:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:29:15 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Anyone ever seen that happen?

Nope. And I use easyJet a lot.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old October 15th 09, 07:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:31:29 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Megatrain don't do seat reservations.

They used to do "carriage reservations" though.

No - the carriage wasn't reserved. Megatrain passengers had to sit
there, but nothing said that other passengers couldn't.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 15th 09, 10:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 19:00:57 on Thu,
15 Oct 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
Megatrain don't do seat reservations.

They used to do "carriage reservations" though.

No - the carriage wasn't reserved. Megatrain passengers had to sit
there,

Amounts to the same thing.

but nothing said that other passengers couldn't.

That's an implementation bug.
Old October 15th 09, 11:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
MIG MIG is offline

On 15 Oct, 19:29, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
11:18:57 on Thu, 15 Oct 2009, MIG
remarked:

There seems to be no
incentive to volunteer being bumped on a budget airline though.

Budget airlines don't overbook to the same extent, because you don't
have the issue of fully-flexible tickets where you might not know a
particular passenger has decided to take the next flight until they
don't turn up.

They don't need to bump you. *They'll just claim that your passport is
bent or contrive to delay you in a way that they'll claim is your
fault, and you'll miss the flight without compensation plus pay the
full fare for the next one.

Chatter, chatter.

Anyone ever seen that happen?

Yes.

Loads of people. Are they all making it up?

Anyway, it's good businesss practice, so why would they miss such an
obvious opportunity? It would be remiss.
Old October 15th 09, 11:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Neil Williams wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:12:58 +0100, "
wrote:

That's not to say that I would fly any budget airline, however.

Have you ever done? You might well find that it's not half as bad as
you think.

Neil

I have done. Some time ago, when I flew from Belfast to London Stansted.
The easyJet plane was late and the crew acted like it was the boarding
passengers' fault. One of them even told passengers to hurry up and get
on board the plane, and that if we are late, then it would be our fault,
and not theirs.

The flight was filled with football yahoos, the cabin crew were very
surly and the in-flight service was very poorly stocked. On top of that,
the surly cabin crew demanded that anybody purchasing what little was
available have exact change.

I wonder what the working conditions are like for easyJet pilots.

Old October 15th 09, 11:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Neil Williams wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:41:16 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

They've owned it (80% rather than just 30%) for a year now, so FSVO
"early". But there are rumours it might be sold to FlyBE.

Oh, dear. Another OKish airline sold to a dire one.

easyJet not interested?

Neil

I always thought Lufthansa was all right.
Old October 16th 09, 05:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message
, at
16:42:10 on Thu, 15 Oct 2009, MIG
remarked:
They don't need to bump you. *They'll just claim that your passport is
bent or contrive to delay you in a way that they'll claim is your
fault, and you'll miss the flight without compensation plus pay the
full fare for the next one.

Chatter, chatter.

Anyone ever seen that happen?

Yes.

Loads of people. Are they all making it up?

I've never seen it happen, and I fly on average once a week.

What I do see almost every trip, is people taking vastly oversize
luggage on board, and increasingly frequently having it taken off then
at the gate to be put in the hold. But never any of the "delaying
tactics" you mention.
Old October 16th 09, 06:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
MIG MIG is offline

On 16 Oct, 06:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
16:42:10 on Thu, 15 Oct 2009, MIG
remarked:

They don't need to bump you. *They'll just claim that your passport is
bent or contrive to delay you in a way that they'll claim is your
fault, and you'll miss the flight without compensation plus pay the
full fare for the next one.

Chatter, chatter.

Anyone ever seen that happen?

Yes.

Loads of people. *Are they all making it up?

I've never seen it happen, and I fly on average once a week.

What I do see almost every trip, is people taking vastly oversize
luggage on board, and increasingly frequently having it taken off then
at the gate to be put in the hold. But never any of the "delaying
tactics" you mention.

For some of us, some kind of mugging applies to 100% of journeys,
because it happens first time and you don't go back.
Old October 16th 09, 08:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:55:02 +0100, "
wrote:

I always thought Lufthansa was all right.

I was referring to flyBE.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 16th 09, 08:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:49:06 +0100, "
wrote:

To see things differently... I wasn't on that specific flight, of
course, but there are two sides to any story.

The easyJet plane was late and the crew acted like it was the boarding
passengers' fault. One of them even told passengers to hurry up and get
on board the plane, and that if we are late, then it would be our fault,
and not theirs.

"The easyJet plane was late and the crew did their best to minimise
delay by getting it turned around as soon as possible. One of them
asked people to board as quickly as possible and to take the first
seat they could see. They wanted to get home to finish their shift,
and we wanted to get home as well, so this suited us fine."

The flight was filled with football yahoos,

This can happen, but not on every flight.

the cabin crew were very
surly

"The cabin crew were stressed because of the delay and some passengers
didn't make it easier for them".

and the in-flight service was very poorly stocked.

"The in-flight service wasn't restocked at turnaround in order to
minimise delay".

On top of that,
the surly cabin crew demanded that anybody purchasing what little was
available have exact change.

"On top of that, the cabin crew asked that if people had exact change
that it would be helpful." (They usually do).

I wonder what the working conditions are like for easyJet pilots.

Perfectly good, as far as I know. They usually seem happy enough.

Neil

--
Neil Williams