Old October 25th 09, 07:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:10:58 on Sat, 24
Oct 2009, Buddenbrooks remarked:
An employee returned late one day from the States, expected in next day
early for a debrief meeting.
Is killed on way to work, believed to have fallen asleep at the wheel.
Company now allows taxis from home to work after long haul.
This was not altruism, the company was being sued by the widow that the
company failed in their duty of care in requiring an employee to work
excessive hours
and drive while unfit to do so.

In which country(s) was the company, the widow and the lawsuit?

UK, it was settled out of court with the usual non-disclosure agreement.

In addition the company, which has several sites used to expect managers
to drive 4 hours to a site do a days work and then drive back as required.
They no longer allow this and pay for overnight accommodation. It had been
pointed out that they were expecting staff to drive longer hours than would
be permitted if they were driving as a job.

I do not think there has been any court cases, so no precedent, but rumor
had it that the company decided that they were of risk of
liability should an accident occur. But it was also part of the 'cut travel
costs' campaign and any travel has to be far more justified than in the
past.
8 hours driving followed by a 4 hour meeting is a very expensive meeting.

Old October 25th 09, 07:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

I'm in (South) Korea this week, as it happens. (By Air France).
--

Well I am sure you will find Air France staff OK.

Old October 25th 09, 08:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 08:46:41 -0000, "Buddenbrooks"
wrote:

In addition the company, which has several sites used to expect managers
to drive 4 hours to a site do a days work and then drive back as required.
They no longer allow this and pay for overnight accommodation. It had been
pointed out that they were expecting staff to drive longer hours than would
be permitted if they were driving as a job.

I used to work for a company that expected employees to do the same.
After the death of an employee who fell asleep at the wheel on his way
home has now changed policy to insist on (1) an overnight stay, (2) no
longer than a 13 hour shift including driving, and (3) a minimum 11
hour break before starting the next shift.

I think one or both of the latter requirements was imposed by law.

Old October 25th 09, 11:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:19:09 on Sat, 24
Oct 2009, Buddenbrooks remarked:
The only statement was he had an opinion of an Airline that operates
under the Korean Flag.

To Japan, it seems.

I don't have to wriggle, I have never been to Korea, never intend to
go to Korea and have no personal interest in Korea.

I'm in (South) Korea this week, as it happens. (By Air France).

Are you going to visit the DMZ?
Old October 25th 09, 02:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 08:46:41 on Sun, 25
Oct 2009, Buddenbrooks remarked:

8 hours driving followed by a 4 hour meeting is a very expensive meeting.

ObRail: I'm currently suffering a lot from 1.5hr meetings (the minimum
practical, really) sandwiched between 3hrs each way getting to London
and back

Last Friday, for example: left home at 11am and got back at 6.30pm.
Hence my frustration when the train company can't even be bothered to
staff the buffet for my journey home.

And before you chip in saying this is a lifestyle choice - those choices
are made for us sometimes.

Old October 25th 09, 02:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 08:48:02 on Sun, 25
Oct 2009, Buddenbrooks remarked:
I'm in (South) Korea this week, as it happens. (By Air France).

Well I am sure you will find Air France staff OK.

They were very good on the planes - much better than last time I flew
with them (which was on that same Rio routing that ditched earlier this
year). CDG is something else, though. Twenty minutes taxing to a parking
space, then another half hour to find a bus and get us to the terminal
building.
Old October 25th 09, 02:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 12:18:59 on Sun, 25
Oct 2009, " remarked:
I'm in (South) Korea this week, as it happens. (By Air France).

Are you going to visit the DMZ?

It's fairly unlikely that I'll visit anything outside the conference
hotel, I'm afraid (although you could spend several days just exploring
that). Except for the organised social at the National Museum.

There's a punishing schedule of meetings from as early as 6am until 6pm
(plus networking at the socials). And too much to do back in Europe for
any extra days sightseeing here. We are here primarily to make the
meeting accessible to those living in Asia.
Old October 25th 09, 02:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

And before you chip in saying this is a lifestyle choice - those choices
are made for us sometimes.
--

The lack of service is not acceptable. Having a job involving a lot of
international travel and living a long distance from Heathrow is a lifestyle

Old October 25th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 15:38:39 on Sun, 25
Oct 2009, Buddenbrooks remarked:
And before you chip in saying this is a lifestyle choice - those
choices are made for us sometimes.

The lack of service is not acceptable. Having a job involving a lot of
international travel and living a long distance from Heathrow is a
lifestyle choice.

I disagree on two levels.

First of all, I can do all the long-haul international travel I need to,
generally much cheaper, by starting at Birmingham and taking a hop to
AMS/CDG/DXB. It's only an hour to BHX by car, and an hour checking is
almost always OK. I'm not sure you could get onto a plane from LHR as
quickly, even living in Hounslow.

And I can satisfactorily do much of Europe (with the particular
exception of BRU, and GVA is about to become more difficult) from EMA.
I'm not sure there are many LHR-BRU flights either, and GVA is better
served from LTN.

Secondly, there is more to a lifestyle than being able to catch a plane
from Heathrow. Especially where family is involved. Which is a weakness
of "blokes on Usenet", as they tend to be self-selecting as not family
men, with more to think about than their own convenience.
Old October 25th 09, 06:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:38:39 on Sun, 25
I disagree on two levels.

?? How can where you live be anything other than a lifestyle choice ?