Old April 16th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle restored

In article ,

*Subject:* Circle restored
*From:*

*Date:* Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:13:41 -0500

In article ,
() wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:21:12 -0500
wrote:
I think I was on the first eastbound train out of Paddington at

about 21:20 that evening which claimed to be only for Edgware
Road but then immediately changed into a Circle Line. Great I
thought until arrival at Edgware Road where we managed to pause
for over 5 minutes waiting for a relief driver...

My observations (more than once for reasons I won't bore people

with) on Monday were that they were waiting for 5 minutes on every
train. None of mine changed drivers.

I'm surprised anyones bothers with the circle line TBH. On the rare
occasions I need to go to the western end of it I'll just use the
central or bakerloo and walk. It simply isn't worth the hassle
using the Circle anymore, its a total failure as a line.

If you have luggage and walking issues and want to get from King's
Cross to Putney it's still the best option. If you have a non-folding
bike with you it's the only option.

Looking at the TfL Journey Planner for tomorrow I see it gives me just two
choices from King's Cross to Putney. Either the Victoria Line and SWT to
Putney or the H&C or Circle to Edgware Road and District from there to East
Putney in much the same journey time.

A no brainer to use the Circle then as the Oyster fare to Putney via SWT is
a lot higher (£2.05 with a railcard on my Oyster card) than the Underground
fare to East Putney (£1.30).

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 17th 12, 01:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4/16/2012 6:56 PM, wrote:
In article6PSdnRCS7bda7xHSnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d@earthlink .com,
(redcat) wrote:

On 4/16/2012 3:16 PM, redcat wrote:
On 4/16/2012 2:04 PM,
wrote:
In ,
(redcat) wrote:

Quick question, please --

In 2 weeks I need to go from Bayswater to Great Portland St. Last
time I took the Circle Line, no probs.

I just looked at the interactive map and, although this thread is
about "circle restored", the interactive map still shows the Circle
only goes as far as Edgeware Rd.

Here's the Question! Is the map behind and I can get to Grt Portland
from Bayswater via Circle?

Thanks! Looking forward to being back in London.

As Paul explains in another message, to make that journey you normally
need to change at Edgware Road in both directions. Over Easter and
after a recent disruption there were through Circle trains between
Bayswater and Great Portland St but you cannot do that normally.

Which is odd... because I did it 50 weeks ago, on a Wednesday (direct
Circle from Bayswater - Grt Portland. I got there 30 mins early for an
appointment!)

P.S. I just googled and got this:

Train journey from Bayswater to Great Portland Street
1) From Bayswater take the Circle Line
2) Leave the train at Great Portland Street

Journey: Bayswater _ Paddington _ Edgware Road _ Baker Street _ Great
Portland Street

Estimated time: 10 mins

Here is the link to the above:
http://www.londondrum.com/transport/...om=bayswater&t
o=great-portland-street

Better use the TfL Journey Planner, then, http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/.
It clearly shows the need to change at Edgware Road.

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've supplied
the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR Circle toward
King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

If you take DISTRICT line from Bayswater you would have to change for
the Circle or H&C at Edgeware. Here's the link:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...teDi stance=1

Old April 17th 12, 02:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

redcat wrote:

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've supplied
the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR Circle toward
King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

If you take DISTRICT line from Bayswater you would have to change for
the Circle or H&C at Edgeware. Here's the link:

Unfortunately your link is session specific and timed out. Here's a screenshot
of the same journey.

http://www.tablazonvalley.com/details.jpg

I think you are misinterpreting the route. If you could stay on the Circle line,
there would be no point in showing the connection at Edgeware.
Old April 17th 12, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , redcat
writes

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've
supplied the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR
Circle toward King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

The following (dating from the time of the change) should help you to
see the new pattern of circle line operations more clearly:

Notice that Edgware Road is the terminus of the line from Bayswater.

--
Paul Terry

Old April 17th 12, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(redcat) wrote:

(redcat) wrote:

On 4/16/2012 3:16 PM, redcat wrote:
On 4/16/2012 2:04 PM,
wrote:

http://www.londondrum.com/transport/...water&to=great
-portland-street

Better use the TfL Journey Planner, then,
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/.
It clearly shows the need to change at Edgware Road.

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've
supplied the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR
Circle toward King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

If you take DISTRICT line from Bayswater you would have to change for
the Circle or H&C at Edgeware. Here's the link:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...?language=en&s
essionID=TLJJP09P1_2747749531&requestID=1&tripSele ctor2=1&itdLPxx_view
=detail&tripSelection=on&command=nop&calculateDist ance=1

From Bayswater you take the first train, Circle or District, to Edgware Road
where it terminates. You then simply transfer to the Eastbound platform (4 I
think) and catch the first train from Hammersmith, either Circle or
Hammersmith and City, to Great Portland Street.

In the other direction it's not quite so easy. You get a Circle or
Hammersmith train to Edgware Road but there you have to work out which of
platforms 2 and 3 has the first train to Bayswater standing at it. The
Passenger Information System at Edgware Road is so awful they don't tell you
when trains are due to leave. And, IME, there are no platform staff to help
you either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 17th 12, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:13:24 -0400
redcat wrote:
I think a bunch of us are just fascinated by the Underground, giving the
trains and lines a personality, and we have expectations of them. To
most other people the Underground is just transportation.

The underground is interesting from a technical point of view but when
you have to use it on a daily basis its a PITA. I could take the tube
to work here in west london but its less stress and quicker to brave the
north circular in the car.

B2003

Old April 17th 12, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4/16/2012 10:59 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've supplied
the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR Circle toward
King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

If you take DISTRICT line from Bayswater you would have to change for
the Circle or H&C at Edgeware. Here's the link:

Unfortunately your link is session specific and timed out. Here's a screenshot
of the same journey.

http://www.tablazonvalley.com/details.jpg

I think you are misinterpreting the route. If you could stay on the Circle line,
there would be no point in showing the connection at Edgeware.

They give you the choice of circle or district at bayswater. If you took
district then you have to change at edgeware. If you took circle, you
can stay on the train to get to great portland.

Suppose you get to bayswater and the white board says no circle. then
you have to take district and follow the change at edgeware instructions.

This is how I believe it works.

Old April 17th 12, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle restored RC GETS IT!!

On 4/17/2012 2:59 AM, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , redcat
writes

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've
supplied the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR
Circle toward King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

The following (dating from the time of the change) should help you to
see the new pattern of circle line operations more clearly:

Notice that Edgware Road is the terminus of the line from Bayswater.

Oh, now I get it!!!!

Thank you for your patience. Thank you all.

So, I would transfer from Circle TO Circle (or H&C or Metropolitan).

YaY

rc
Old April 17th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

That is not how it works! Both District AND Circle trains from Bayswater
terminate at Edgware Road. If you want to reach Great Portland Street you
have to cross to platform 1 at Edgware Road and take a Circle or Hammersmith
and City train that comes from Hammersmith.

--
Colin Rosenstiel