Old November 25th 08, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG on rail to the edge of zone

Matthew Dickinson wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:57:46 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 21:13:36
on Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Matthew Dickinson
remarked:
The fundamental reason is that the card processors insist that the
inital setup transaction is processed in the same way as the ongoing
transactions (that is, as a Customer Not Present transaction using
CVV and address checking), and it isn't practical to carry out this
type of transaction at a ticket office.

So why not at a ticket machine, if not the counter itself. Or does
that fail the "customer not present" test because they have a PIN
pad?

It's still regarded as a Customer Present transaction, and AVS & CVV
checking is even less practical at a ticket machine.

When I got my Oyster 3 years ago, there was a single credit card transaction
for the card and the auto top-up, several days before I had to load the
facility on to the Oyster at my local tube station, so I don't think your
reason can be true. It just seemed to be a limitation of the way the system
was set up.
--
Richard J.

Old November 25th 08, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

In message , at 21:13:36 on
Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Matthew Dickinson
remarked:
The fundamental reason is that the card processors insist that the
inital setup transaction is processed in the same way as the ongoing
transactions (that is, as a Customer Not Present transaction using CVV
and address checking), and it isn't practical to carry out this type
of transaction at a ticket office.

So why not at a ticket machine, if not the counter itself. Or does that
fail the "customer not present" test because they have a PIN pad?

It's still regarded as a Customer Present transaction, and AVS & CVV
checking is even less practical at a ticket machine.

Would a NR barrier or DLR style fixed pad be both sufficiently online
and sufficiently customer not present?
Old November 25th 08, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Matthew Dickinson wrote:

This is, of course, a really good question, but it's one that i suspect
that nobody on this group can actually answer. Is there a technical
reason why it's hard to make ticket machines or ticket office equipment
capable of activating auto top-up? Something to do with the software in
it, or the kind of network connection it has? If so, that would be your
answer. If not, then i can't think of a good reason. But without
knowing about the technical details of the machinery involved, we can't
answer it. I don't know about that, and i assume from the fact that
we're having this discussion that none of the other participants do
either!

There is someone on this group who's posted some more insider stuff about
oyster before - who was that? Does he have any ideas?

The fundamental reason is that the card processors insist that the
inital setup transaction is processed in the same way as the ongoing
transactions (that is, as a Customer Not Present transaction using CVV
and address checking), and it isn't practical to carry out this type of
transaction at a ticket office.

But there's no need to - that's not what we're talking about. The idea is
that you could do the transaction online, and then pick up the activation
at the station. No transaction, in the credit card sense, would take place
there.

tom

--
Mpreg is short for Male Impregnation and I cannot get enough. -- D
Old November 25th 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(David of Broadway) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(David of Broadway) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Neil Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:06:10 -0600,

wrote:

Online top up really is a pain, especially for small amounts.
But it's pretty well the only option if you live in the USA.
Can't you just obtain a card and top it up at Heathrow station?
Once you've got the hang of Oyster, probably. But explaining it
to my brother wasn't trivial and I've not started on my
sister-in-law. They don't really do public transport in Columbus.
Then the whole system is likely confusing. But for those who do do
public transport, manually adding value to a card is found in many
more cities than automatic top-up.

Then there are the (rare) trips not entering the UK through
Heathrow.
For which Oyster is useless until arrival in London proper. Except
for arrivals (not direct from the US) into St. Pancras and London
City, where I believe Oyster cards are readily available. (Or are
Oysters not available at DLR stations?)

I was thinking of someone with an existing Oyster who needs to
top up online and collect on arrival. They have to know the point
of arrival at the time of the online top up.

Why does the aforementioned someone need to top up online? Every
entry point to the UK where Oyster is accepted (Heathrow, London
City, and St. Pancras are all that come to mind) have Oyster top-up
facilities.

It was my brother's question. Maybe it's the queues at Heathrow.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 25th 08, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote
Mind you, the worst offenders wouldn't be able to travel to the
venue, let alone find it, as they'd be frightened of Big Brother
catching them crossing the borough line. And other members taking
their photo if they arrived.
Sounds like a bundle of fun !!

You didn't come to the last gathering, did you?

Tragically not.
--

Andrew