Old November 28th 10, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Tube Strike - Sun 28 (evening of) and Mon 29 Nov (all day)

In message
, MIG
writes

It is a possible route, but I've been at London Bridge so many times
with the Thameslink trains already expected fifteen minutes late.
Being at London Bridge for the 0909 and finding it delayed doesn't
leave much flexibility.

Especially as the 09.09 is an ex-Brighton service and light snow
overnight is forecast for much of its route.
--
Paul Terry

Old November 28th 10, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

The first strike, I decided to go up to Stratford to from Walthamstow (I'm a
10 min walk from Blackhorse Rd). Absolute nightmare mostly due to all the
roadworks. I then got the DLR to Canary wharf and then another to Cutty
Sark then a bus down Trafalgar Road to work. To me over 4 hours.

Going back I got a bus to North Greenwich, then the 108 to Startford. When
I had got to Stratford, they had a marshall service and special buses
through to Leytonstone from where I got a W15 back home

The 2nd strike was a bit better. I walked to Tottenham Hale and went
through to Archway on a 41 to get the Northern Line to London Bridge and
then as normal SouthEastern to Maze Hill. Took over 2 hours. Same way back
this time, but no special bus service, so I just got a 158 towards Chingford
and got off at Blackhorse Road

The 3rd strike, again I walked to Tottenham Hale, got a 41 and got off at
Seven Sisters and then almost a normal journey (a bit quicker even due to
some stations on the Northern Line being closed) to London Bridge and then
Maze Hill. Same way back home as per the previous strike

I shall be walking down to Tottenham Hale again tomorrow in sub-zero
temperatures

Old November 28th 10, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Paul Corfield" wrote

Goodness me what a set of journeys. An alternative for you to ponder is
the NR Line from St James St (or more sensibly Walthamstow Central) to
Hackney Downs, 30 or 56 bus to Dalston Junction and then Overground to
Surrey Quays / New Cross to pick up a South Eastern train or a bus. [I'm
not very good on the intricacies of the South Eastern network].

Or NR Walthamstow to Liverpool Street (though this will be crowded), walk to
Cannon Street or London Bridge, then SR. I used to know the headmistress of
a school in Eltham, who lived at Walthamstow, and this was her regular
commute.

Peter

Old November 28th 10, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28/11/10 14:52, Roy Badami wrote:
In ,
Tim wrote:
OK - thanks for that. I can Boris Bike but SWMBO works in Hammersmith so
a slightly tortuous route to Ken Olympia and she can do a 25 min walk...

I'm curious as to what the demand for Boris Bikes has been like on
strike days?

-roy

Higher last time, but do-able if you started as early as I did (7:10 at
CHX).

A *lot* of people were walking in the area of the Mall +/- couple of miles.

--
Tim Watts
Old November 28th 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tim wrote:
OK - thanks for that. I can Boris Bike but SWMBO works in Hammersmith so
a slightly tortuous route to Ken Olympia and she can do a 25 min walk...

I'm curious as to what the demand for Boris Bikes has been like on
strike days?

-roy

On another aside - Crow really isn;t going to be popular with the public
this time around given the extreme cold...

I personally lodged with a mate who is a train driver (mainline not LU)
and do have some insight and sympathies with the working railwayman.

But TBH I'm getting thoroughly fed up with all this...

--
Tim Watts

Old November 28th 10, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Tim *wrote:
OK - thanks for that. I can Boris Bike but SWMBO works in Hammersmith so
a slightly tortuous route to Ken Olympia and she can do a 25 min walk....

I'm curious as to what the demand for Boris Bikes has been like on
strike days?

* * *-roy

On another aside - Crow really isn;t going to be popular with the public
this time around given the extreme cold...

I personally lodged with a mate who is a train driver (mainline not LU)
and do have some insight and sympathies with the working railwayman.

But TBH I'm getting thoroughly fed up with all this...

It's not mainly drivers that are RMT members.

Anyway, walking keeps you a lot warmer than standing on stations.
Old November 28th 10, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2010\11\28 14:52, Roy Badami wrote:
In ,
Tim wrote:
OK - thanks for that. I can Boris Bike but SWMBO works in Hammersmith so
a slightly tortuous route to Ken Olympia and she can do a 25 min walk...

I'm curious as to what the demand for Boris Bikes has been like on
strike days?

The streets have been staggeringly full of them IME.
Old November 28th 10, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 11:19*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Nov 28, 10:10*am, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:05:29 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On Nov 27, 11:44 pm, John Ray
wrote:
[snip]
A friend has to travel from Plumstead to Euston on Monday morning; she
has an Apex ticket for the 1007 to Liverpool Lime Street, so does not
want to miss that train.

It seems that she can take a Southeastern train to London Bridge and try
her luck on the Northern Line, or alternatively take a Southeastern
train to Charing Cross and go for the 91 bus. Does anybody have any
suggestions, please, as to the best course, and how much time should she
allow for the connection from London Bridge or Charing Cross to Euston?

It's just over one and a half miles from Charing X to Euston, so
walking isn't an outlandish option - it'd take half hour or so,
dependent on pace - see walkit.com/london (usual caveats about those
with impaired mobility apply). It's what I'd do.

Other bus alternatives are the 59, 68 or 168 from Waterloo to Euston.
The 91 might possibly be advantageous however as it starts at
Trafalgar Square/ Charing Cross, so there could be a better chance of
getting on it, I'm not sure though. The timing isn't great - she'll be
making this trip in the rush hour, and during strikes the buses are in
heavy demand at the London termini stations.

Others will (/may) be better able to advise about what Tube services
might be running, and to what extent, though I don't think anyone inc.
LU really know what will happen until the day, bearing in mind that
the picture can alter at shift change times too - all depends who and
how many staff turn up.

The Northern Line has tended to run an OK service on strike days but it
will be busy at either Charing Cross, Waterloo or London Bridge. *I am
not sure I would necessarily rely on it.

I basically concur with the advice to head for Charing Cross and then
assess options from there. Walking is certainly viable unless the person
is laden with luggage when it may well be a tedious chore.

Charing Cross walking map here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...lking-sept2010...

To add to the options I would say that the 24 and 29 from opposite South
Africa House at Trafalgar Square (3-4 mins from the front of Charing
Cross Stn) are an additional option to get as far as Warren Street from
where Euston is eminently walkable. The 29 starts at Trafalgar Square
and is a bendy bus so there is a decent chance of getting on. *The 24 is
busier but nonetheless offers an option too.

Not sure if you friend has an Oyster card but if not they will need to
buy their bus ticket from a machine at the stop before boarding any bus
in the Central area - fare is 2 cash.

Spider map for Charing Cross including bus stop locations here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...lking-sept2010...

Stop F for the 91
Stop C for the 24 and 29.

^^^ That's a link to the CX walking map again (very easily done!) -
here's the bus spider map for CX:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...charingcrossqu...

Re the bus fare - this got brought up recently on uk.railway - my
reckoning is that *if* a National Rail ticket includes a cross-London
tube transfer (i.e. it features the '+' symbol/ Maltese cross in the
route field) then on a Tube strike day it should be valid for travel
on the buses in order to make the transfer between the relevant London
termini.

However in this case it's entirely dependent on whether or not the
ticket is for travel from Plumstead, in which case cross-London
transfer would be included, or from Euston, in which case it obviously
wouldn't be.- Hide quoted text -

In a staff brief I recieved (as per other strikes) it specifically
stated that tickest can NOT be used on buses. Whilst not related
perfectly, it is worth noting that most London Centric TOCs have
reciprical arrangements (pretty muc free) with London Underground,
wheras when London Buses are used to pass customers this is done as a
financial arrangement and it ain't cheap.

Richard
Old November 28th 10, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 12:28*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On 26/11/10 00:54, Mizter T wrote:

does the strike affect the London Overground, specifically Clampham Jnc
to Kensington Olympia?

Ta

--
Tim Watts

I have been in the "office" for most of the strikes so far, all of the
cross London routes seem to have coped very well. This includes
LOROL , Southern and Themeslink. Yes they have been wedged solid, but
with the exception of things like Farringdon closing due to no staff,
they have been a viable alternative for many journeys.

I have recently taken to walking a bit more than I used to and am
actually enjoying cross London walks, I use the slowest option on
walkit.com and it is VERY useful and offers some pretty accurate
timescales.

Richard.
Old November 28th 10, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28/11/2010 12:23, Mizter T wrote:

Also, I dare say the passenger in question may only have a ticket from
Euston to Liverpool, in which case one is into the slightly hazy
territory of whether or not a journey involving multiple tickets still
constitutes one journey as per the NR CoC (and hence connections
should be honoured if the requisite time for transfers is adhered to).

Very many thanks to all who have made so many helpful suggestions. My
friend has an Advance ticket from Euston to Lime Street, an Oyster card
and a 60+ bus pass; she will have a suitcase. Given her years (she won't
thank me for saying that), walking any distance isn't an option. I think
that I will look at the LT live departure board for the Northern Line at
London Bridge at about 0730 and see how the trains are running; if it
looks bad I will phone her and suggest that she goes to Charing Cross,
from where she may perhaps get a 91 bus or a taxi. If she is at CX by
0830-0845 she should have a good chance of making Euston in time for the
1007, I hope.

--
John Ray