Old February 28th 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default East London Line extension to Highbury & Islington open today

On 2011\02\28 13:11, Mizter T wrote:

If it was possible to ask the 2004 version of Boris if he had the
vaguest clue about what the East London Line project might entail, it'd
be interesting to hear his answer.

Maybe he'd copy Diane Abbott's 2000 quote... "If I could do one single
thing in the constituency it would be to build the Chelsea-Hackney Line.
The Chelsea-Hackney Line is a long-planned extension of the Jubilee Line
into Hackney. It would come all the way to Dalston. For the first time
Stoke Newington would have an underground station. So you could travel
from Dalston down the existing Jubilee Line all the way along a new
extension that would take you to Chelsea."

Old February 28th 11, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

On 2011\02\28 13:11, Mizter T wrote:

If it was possible to ask the 2004 version of Boris if he had the
vaguest clue about what the East London Line project might entail,
it'd be interesting to hear his answer.

Maybe he'd copy Diane Abbott's 2000 quote... "If I could do one single
thing in the constituency it would be to build the Chelsea-Hackney
Line. The Chelsea-Hackney Line is a long-planned extension of the
Jubilee Line into Hackney. It would come all the way to Dalston. For
the first time Stoke Newington would have an underground station. So
you could travel from Dalston down the existing Jubilee Line all the
way along a new extension that would take you to Chelsea."

I don't remember any version of the Chelney line being an extension to
the Jubilee line. Was she just confused, or am I missing something.
Incidentally, I believe she doesn't drive, so will probably be a user of
the extended ELL.

Old February 28th 11, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:

Maybe he'd copy Diane Abbott's 2000 quote... "If I could do one single
thing in the constituency it would be to build the Chelsea-Hackney Line.
The Chelsea-Hackney Line is a long-planned extension of the Jubilee Line
into Hackney. It would come all the way to Dalston. For the first time
Stoke Newington would have an underground station. So you could travel
from Dalston down the existing Jubilee Line all the way along a new
extension that would take you to Chelsea."

Diane Abbott was always upwardly mobile in the direction of Chelsea. I
doubt many of her constituents would be as welcome.

E.

Old February 28th 11, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 28, 11:52*am, wrote:
Pity they couldn't take it all the way to Finsbury Park.

Seconded. With judicious use of the Hornsey area for turnback sidings,
Krappy Rubsniff could become a handy little hub.

Though you'd need to improve connections to the Vic line...

AE

Old February 28th 11, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Stephen Furley) wrote:

I'd find a service on the East curve to Hackney or Stratford useful,
but that's not likely to happen.

Not very likely but the possibility is still catered for (as a single
track curve) at Dalston junction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 28th 11, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
"Tim Fenton" wrote:

He sounds like the Dudley Moore character in "Monte Carlo Or Bust" ... "Oh
whizz whizz, Sir!"

He goes on:

'This relatively short stretch of track will link three sides of the
city and mean people can scoot around the edges of the capital on fast,
reliable rail connections without needing to head into central London."

Whizz, scoot - what's next? Zoom I guess.

E.
Old February 28th 11, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"eastender" wrote in message

In article ,
"Tim Fenton" wrote:

He sounds like the Dudley Moore character in "Monte Carlo Or Bust"
... "Oh whizz whizz, Sir!"

He goes on:

'This relatively short stretch of track will link three sides of the
city and mean people can scoot around the edges of the capital on
fast, reliable rail connections without needing to head into central
London."

I wonder why they get charged for Zone 1 then as they glide through
Shoreditch?

Old February 28th 11, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:

Watching a clip from ITV local news the Mayor said the new link will
allow people from Highbury to reach Stratford - err ........ ! He did
throw in Shoreditch and Croydon too which is a bit more accurate.

I've seen a note somewhere that trains starting at Highbury won't run to
New Cross, only to New Cross Gate and beyond - you have to change to a
train starting at Dalston for New Cross. Is this right and why?

E.
Old February 28th 11, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2011\02\28 17:08, Paul Corfield wrote:

Watching a clip from ITV local news the Mayor said the new link will
allow people from Highbury to reach Stratford - err ........ !

The shocking part of this is that he used to live about 250 metres from
H&I. I'm guessing he's not a rail travel sort of guy.