Old February 28th 11, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default East London Line extension to Highbury & Islington open today

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

On 2011\02\28 17:08, Paul Corfield wrote:

Watching a clip from ITV local news the Mayor said the new link will
allow people from Highbury to reach Stratford - err ........ !

The shocking part of this is that he used to live about 250 metres
from H&I. I'm guessing he's not a rail travel sort of guy.

Well even if he was, he'd think of Stratford as being on the end of the
Overground line from H&I. It's only now that new destinations to the
south have become available.

Old February 28th 11, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Basil Jet" wrote:

On 2011\02\28 17:08, Paul Corfield wrote:

Watching a clip from ITV local news the Mayor said the new link will
allow people from Highbury to reach Stratford - err ........ !

The shocking part of this is that he used to live about 250 metres from
H&I. I'm guessing he's not a rail travel sort of guy.

I think he did travel by tube at least a bit from H&I - however until
recently I can imagine the North London Line being rather overlooked by the
incurious as something of a terra incognita (and a rather unattractive
proposition at that, until the TfL takeover), and I rather get the feeling
that Mr Johnson didn't have a great deal of interest in or curiosity about
the totality of the metropolis until say about five years ago.

Old February 28th 11, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 28, 5:24*pm, eastender wrote:
I've seen a note somewhere that trains starting at Highbury won't run to
New Cross, only to New Cross Gate and beyond - you have to change to a
train starting at Dalston for New Cross. Is this right and why?

E.

It would be difficult if not impossible to run the full ELL service
using just two terminal platforms at H&I - hence the bays at Dalston.
As people from H&I are much more likely to want trains along the West
Croydon/Crystal Palace branch than New Cross, the fewest people are
inconvenienced by having to change trains.

Chris
Old March 1st 11, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

As I did post about a month ago, it could be a good reason to start an
enhanced service along the big tube between Moorgate and Finsbury Park
including at weekends/ evenings.

This would take the pressure off the Victoria Line between Finsbury Park and
Highbury and Islingtpn, and if you are changing to other suburban services
at FP its a lot better than climbing up that spriral staircase from the
Underground platforms there.

The line could be inrorporated back into the tube map too.

Old March 1st 11, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 28, 10:18*pm, Chris Sanderson wrote:
On Feb 28, 5:24*pm, eastender wrote:

I've seen a note somewhere that trains starting at Highbury won't run to
New Cross, only to New Cross Gate and beyond - you have to change to a
train starting at Dalston for New Cross. Is this right and why?

E.

It would be difficult if not impossible to run the full ELL service
using just two terminal platforms at H&I - hence the bays at Dalston.
As people from H&I are much more likely to want trains along the West
Croydon/Crystal Palace branch than New Cross, the fewest people are
inconvenienced by having to change trains.

Running a five minute frequency service using just two terminating
platforms shouldn't really be a problem, several London Underground
locations manage more than this (for example the Victoria line at
Brixton). It is 'only' one train reversing every ten minutes in each
platform. The problem comes with having to allow for delays in the
services coming off the mainline through New Cross Gate, meaning that
trains have to have longer to reverse than necessary to adsorb any
delays. A way around this would be to have a flexible diagramming of
units, so a late arriving service at Highbury & Islington has its
departing service taken over by the next train available (with the
destinations of the two trains swapped). This happens a fair amount on
LU, where trains are often reformed to a different destination to deal
with delays.

Old March 1st 11, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
,
Andy writes

Running a five minute frequency service using just two terminating
platforms shouldn't really be a problem

(snip)

The problem comes with having to allow for delays in the
services coming off the mainline through New Cross Gate

Which will be exacerbated next year when the service becomes every four
minutes, with trains feeding into Surrey Quays from Clapham Junction.
--
Paul Terry
Old March 1st 11, 09:55 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
It'll be interesting to see who uses it most - people who work near
Liverpool street or Docklands workers using it to cut out the central london
part of their journey.

Pity they couldn't take it all the way to Finsbury Park.

B2003
Does anyone know why they have not taken it through Canonbury tunnel to Finsbury Park? Lack of money or lack of understanding of London's public transport requirement? It looks as though some work is being done to facilitate trains through the tunnel again. (Decades ago as a young man I used to travel through the tunnel to work each day from Palmers Green to Broad Street. As I said: decades ago!)

Last edited by Robin9 : March 5th 11 at 09:49 AM Reason: typo
Old March 2nd 11, 02:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\03\01 22:55, Robin9 wrote:

Does anyone know why they have not taken it through Canonbury tunnel to
Finsbury Park? Lack of money or lack of understanding of London's public
transport requirement? It looks at though some work is being done to
facilitate trains through the tunnel again.

I wasn't aware it closed... it was singled when the overhead went in,
because there isn't room for double track with overhead.
Old March 2nd 11, 04:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 2, 2:49*pm, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\03\01 22:55, Robin9 wrote:
Does anyone know why they have not taken it through Canonbury tunnel to
Finsbury Park? Lack of money or lack of understanding of London's public
transport requirement?

Neither - or, I suppose "lack of money".

It looks at though some work is being done to
facilitate trains through the tunnel again.

I wasn't aware it closed... it was singled when the overhead went in,
because there isn't room for double track with overhead.

Basil is right on this one.

Also, note that the ELL tracks are the south pair on the four-track
alignment between H&I and Dalston, while the Canonbury curve joins to
the northernmost track of the alignment.

So in order to run a regular ELL service to Finsbury Park, you'd need
to build a dive-under allowing trains to access the Canonbury tunnel
from the south (a flat junction forcing trains going towards Finsbury
Park to cross all four tracks, and trains going towards Dalston to
cross three, would destroy the NLR capacity and reliability
enhancements and so couldn't be considered), at a cost of hundreds of
millions of pounds.

ELL services would then be dependent on a single-lead connection to a
single-track line, itself linking into a massively busy mainline. Did
someone say "performance pollution"? Or you could spend even more
hundreds of millions of pounds on making the dive-under double-lead
and on widening the tunnel.

All this, to save three minutes going up the stairs and down the
escalator...?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old March 2nd 11, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2011\03\01 22:55, Robin9 wrote:

Does anyone know why they have not taken it through Canonbury tunnel to
Finsbury Park? Lack of money or lack of understanding of London's public
transport requirement? It looks at though some work is being done to
facilitate trains through the tunnel again.

I wasn't aware it closed... it was singled when the overhead went in,
because there isn't room for double track with overhead.

There has been a recent short period of closure (certainly more than just a
few months) while the NLL resignalling and track alterations were
happening - but it was a part of their project timetable TTBOMK.

Paul S