Old July 31st 11, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

Default Heathrow PRT pods now in service at last?

"Recliner" wrote:
Yes, I've also now had a go in the pods. I hadn't parked at the airport,
but as you say, no-one monitors who's using the system (though it's a
bit tucked away at the terminal). As you say, the ride is a bit bumpy,
but it wouldn't put me off using them again -- it certainly beats the
bus. They have a suitably multi-lingual UI, and there's room for four
people plus bags -- maybe the ride is smoother when there's more load on
board?

Possibly. But the ride was atrocious - the worst I have ever
experienced on any mode of public transport - and there were two of us
on board, neither of us lightweights, with heavy baggage including
over 70 kg of photo gear alone. Total load was probably about the
same as four average adults. ;-)

Apart from the ride, I was very impressed. The whole system was far
more professional than I had expected.

In fact the whole T5 experience was a pleasure, which was a welcome
change from my recent experience of Heathrow. In contrast, Terminal
2A at Charles de Gaulle was simply horrible. Despite flying BA (the
national 'flag carrier') our flight was sent to a remote stand and we
were bussed to T2A. To add insult to injury, an incoming EasyJet
flight got an airbridge (JetWay if you prefer) and its low-fare
passengers had a very short walk into the terminal. :-(

A long climb up steep stairs followed (still carrying all the photo
gear we could take as cabin luggage, and with no lift or escalator
alternative) with a long wait for checked baggage and then the longest
of long walks to the RER station. It took 2hr 35min from landing to
getting on the train, most spent in and around a very ugly building.

The 45 minute train ride was comparative bliss. ;-)

I'm glad we travelled on a Sunday and stayed an extra night. We would
have missed our deadline had we been on the Monday morning flight.

Old August 1st 11, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

"Bruce" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote:
[...]

Agreed, Heathrow T5 is a pleasure to use, though as with any large
terminal, there can be a fair amount of walking to some gates. The
entire terminal is step-free, and that includes the HEx and Tube
stations. Like you, I actively dislike CDG, and T2 there is even worse
than the old T1 (though your experience seems to have been particularly
bad). I wonder why BA hasn't returned to T1 after the refurbishment?

One slightly annoying thing about LHR T5 is the way that it so blatantly
steers would be rail pax towards HEx rather than the Piccadilly Line.
They even have a sales person at the customs exit, and all the leaflets
are for HEx. The ticket office sells Oyster cards, but there's nothing
to tell would-be buyers about them. I also couldn't see any sign that
the machines would see Oyster cards. I recently advised a couple of
first-time visitors to London to ensure they bought Oyster cards and
took the Tube (ideal for their hotel), and the ticket office was quite
surprised to encounter tourists who knew to ask for them.

Old August 1st 11, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:46:43 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

of long walks to the RER station. It took 2hr 35min from landing to
getting on the train, most spent in and around a very ugly building.

The 45 minute train ride was comparative bliss. ;-)

I'm glad we travelled on a Sunday and stayed an extra night. We would
have missed our deadline had we been on the Monday morning flight.

Agreed, Heathrow T5 is a pleasure to use, though as with any large
terminal, there can be a fair amount of walking to some gates. The
entire terminal is step-free, and that includes the HEx and Tube
stations. Like you, I actively dislike CDG, and T2 there is even worse
than the old T1 (though your experience seems to have been particularly
bad). I wonder why BA hasn't returned to T1 after the refurbishment?

You do realise that this is 2011 and theres a train that will take you
all the way from london to central paris? Why on earth would anyone fly there?

B2003

Old August 1st 11, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

wrote in message

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:46:43 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

[...]

I can't speak for Bruce, but it so happens that for some people, LHR
(like other London airports) is more convenient than StP. And not
everyone wants to go to Gare du Nord. But, in general, it's true that
significantly more people use the train on that route than fly, though
about a quarter still do fly.

Old August 1st 11, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:14:22 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
You do realise that this is 2011 and theres a train that will take you
all the way from london to central paris? Why on earth would anyone fly

there?

To catch a connecting flight perhaps.

The OP apparently caught an RER train. You wouldn't do that unless you were
going to paris itself.

B2003

Old August 1st 11, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 15:19:26 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
To catch a connecting flight perhaps.

The OP apparently caught an RER train. You wouldn't do that unless you were
going to paris itself.

Depends on your trip arrangements and on your return trip. I've flown
out to South America via Paris and on the return had a few hours to kill
so took the RER into the centre of town to pass the time.

Thats not how it read in his case. If you're going to take a 2nd rate form
of transport when a better option is available don't complain when it turns
out to be 2nd rate.

B2003

Old August 1st 11, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:46:43 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

[...]

Last time I did this trip I used Eurostar. The previous time I flew
London City to Paris Orly. Next time I will probably drive. That's
because, when carrying a lot of heavy and valuable gear, there is
great benefit in using just one mode door-to-door.

Using Eurostar involves a taxi to the local station, Chiltern Railways
to Marylebone, taxi to St Pancras, Eurostar to Paris Nord and RER B to
my destination, then a walk of about 120m - six modes. Manhandling
heavy gear in and out of taxis and trains isn't fun, and having to do
it six times is exhausting. The least pleasant part of the journey is
at Paris Nord.

Flying to Orly is much better than Eurostar. Car to London City,
Lufthansa to Orly, OrlyVAL or OrlyBUS to RER B and then the short walk
at the end. Five modes, and unlike on Eurostar, someone else deals
with the heavy stuff.

I only chose CDG because I have an embarrassing surplus of frequent
flyer miles and it was good to use some. I doubt I will go that way
again. The worst bit was being bussed from a remote stand and facing
a tall and steep flight of stairs to get into the terminal. Was that
really 2011? More like 1961. But while the passengers of
full-service BA got the bus, the low-cost EasyJet passengers got an
airbridge. That added insult to injury. Also, the long walk from 2A
to the RER station was a major chore.

On the return journey I checked in early and had time for a meal and a
visit to CDG T1. It seems to have been allocated to one code-sharing
group of airlines - one that doesn't include BA. It appears to be a
much better designed terminal than T2 but was *very* crowded.

So for my next trip I'll take the car. Drive to Folkestone, then
Eurotunnel, then drive to our destination in Paris which is just off
the Peripherique*. There is a car park on site. One mode all the
way, and there is far less stress driving with people you know and
like rather than sharing up to six modes with strangers. Plus, the
baggage stays in the car from origin to destination.

Boltar won't understand. But that's Boltar. ;-)

(*yes, I know, should be Périphérique)

Old August 2nd 11, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 21:56:13 +0100
Bruce wrote:
So for my next trip I'll take the car. Drive to Folkestone, then
Eurotunnel, then drive to our destination in Paris which is just off
the Peripherique*. There is a car park on site. One mode all the
way, and there is far less stress driving with people you know and
like rather than sharing up to six modes with strangers. Plus, the
baggage stays in the car from origin to destination.

Boltar won't understand. But that's Boltar. ;-)

Actually as far as taking the car goes I understand perfectly. The older
I get the less I can put up with the delays, bull**** excuses and endless
minor irritations you almost always get with public transport whatever form it
takes. Apart from a few visits to central paris I've only ever taken the car
to france.

B2003

Heathrow T5 Pods (aka 'ULTra PRT') begin three week "confidence trials". Mizter T London Transport 1 April 19th 11 05:46 PM
London trains, swiping the yellow pods grusl London Transport 10 August 4th 08 11:32 AM
Heathrow pods Boltar London Transport 4 December 18th 07 10:52 AM
Strange sight in Thurrock - PRT? John Rowland London Transport 11 May 22nd 06 08:52 AM
BAA to build ULTra PRT in Heathrow John Rowland London Transport 96 May 20th 06 01:00 PM