Old August 3rd 11, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow PRT pods now in service at last?

Roland Perry wrote:
Paul Cummins remarked:

Sea (open salt water) from Aylesbury is probably Severn Beach

2hrs 14 mins

or Coryton on the Thames estuary.

1hr 31mins

Neither of these is "the sea". I would suggest Weston-super-Mare and
Shoeburyness respectively. I can also go south to South Hayling,
Bognor Regis or Hove.

Weston-super-Mare 2h 28
Shoeburyness 1h 44
South Hayling 2h 08
Bognor Regis 2h 19
Hove 1h 53

Even Clevedon and Southend-on-Sea, which are estuarine rather than
coastal towns, are 2h 17 and 1h 34 respectively.

Having said that, I don't think have ever managed to drive from
Aylesbury to the beach at Southend in less than 2 hours in around
40-50 trips (I had some work there) but that's probably down to the
difference between real-life driving conditions and the crude
assumptions made by online journey planners, in this case the AA's.

So any suggestion that I can drive from Aylesbury to the sea in an
hour is a joke. Two hours would make more sense.

Old August 3rd 11, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/08/2011 13:30, Paul Cummins wrote:
In ,
(Bruce) wrote:

That's tidal water in an estuary.

Technically, so is the North Sea...

Using your definitions, you could say the English Channel is just a river...

Someone once thought it was but a ditch, and as a result ended up
spending his time surrounded by rather a lot of sea.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 3rd 11, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On 03/08/2011 10:51, Bruce wrote:

My civil engineering career started in ports and harbours.

Building the Ark?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 3rd 11, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 08:25:03 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:
Having used eurotunnel more times than I can count I find it a

mystery why
anyone would still bother with a ferry.

Because travel by ship is a very pleasurable experience.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old August 3rd 11, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
(Bruce) wrote:

That's tidal water in an estuary.

Technically, so is the North Sea...

Using your definitions, you could say the English Channel is just a river...

Palaeontologically, I believe it's part of the Rhine Estuary.

No comments about Estuary English, please ...

Nick
--
Serendipity:
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old August 3rd 11, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

In article ,
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 03/08/2011 10:51, Bruce wrote:

My civil engineering career started in ports and harbours.

Building the Ark?

Noah's special adviser ;-)

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Heathrow T5 Pods (aka 'ULTra PRT') begin three week "confidence trials". Mizter T London Transport 1 April 19th 11 05:46 PM
London trains, swiping the yellow pods grusl London Transport 10 August 4th 08 11:32 AM
Heathrow pods Boltar London Transport 4 December 18th 07 10:52 AM
Strange sight in Thurrock - PRT? John Rowland London Transport 11 May 22nd 06 08:52 AM
BAA to build ULTra PRT in Heathrow John Rowland London Transport 96 May 20th 06 01:00 PM