Old June 26th 11, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

Default Heathrow PRT pods now in service at last?

I've not noticed anything posted here, but it looks like the
much-delayed Heathrow pods are finally in service (or are they
technically still on trial?). Anyone here tried them yet?

Here's a recent video I came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCnvBS2SME. It looks like a rather slow
and bumpy ride, but still better than the previous bus, and the views
are good. You even get delays before journeys start, just like the Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1cQVMm2rA

I notice they have right-hand running, despite being from a UK company.
This initial system isn't exactly ambitious, with very few stops (I
think two in the car park, and one at the terminal).

Old June 26th 11, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

In message , at 12:47:37 on
Sun, 26 Jun 2011, Recliner remarked:
I've not noticed anything posted here, but it looks like the
much-delayed Heathrow pods are finally in service (or are they
technically still on trial?). Anyone here tried them yet?

Are they free, and don't require an airline ticket? If so I'll try them
out next time I'm at the airport.
Old June 26th 11, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 12:47:37 on
Sun, 26 Jun 2011, Recliner remarked:
I've not noticed anything posted here, but it looks like the
much-delayed Heathrow pods are finally in service (or are they
technically still on trial?). Anyone here tried them yet?

Are they free, and don't require an airline ticket? If so I'll try
them out next time I'm at the airport.

Yes, they just run from T5 to the business car park. As the journey only
takes five minutes, you should be able to fit in a return journey in 15
mins or so. My next trip to T5 is in less than three weeks, so I'll see
if I can have a trip after checking in. Of course, sod's law says
they'll be bustituted on that day...

Old June 26th 11, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On 2011\06\26 12:47, Recliner wrote:
I've not noticed anything posted here, but it looks like the
much-delayed Heathrow pods are finally in service (or are they
technically still on trial?). Anyone here tried them yet?

Here's a recent video I came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCnvBS2SME. It looks like a rather slow
and bumpy ride, but still better than the previous bus, and the views
are good. You even get delays before journeys start, just like the Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1cQVMm2rA

I notice they have right-hand running, despite being from a UK company.
This initial system isn't exactly ambitious, with very few stops (I
think two in the car park, and one at the terminal).

Has anyone shagged in them yet?
Old June 26th 11, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

"Recliner" wrote:
I've not noticed anything posted here, but it looks like the much-delayed
Heathrow pods are finally in service (or are they technically still on
trial?). Anyone here tried them yet?

I began a thread which mentioned the start of the three week confidence
trials back in mid-April, but it didn't really get picked up on:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...273d1bdedaad2/

I've been down past that way twice in the past couple of months and seen
them running. Apparently there's no check as to whether someone's actually
parked in the biz car park before they can use the system. (I suppose that
might not always be the case, so perhaps now might be a good time to sate
one's curiosity...)

Here's a recent video I came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCnvBS2SME. It looks like a rather slow
and bumpy ride, but still better than the previous bus, and the views are
good. You even get delays before journeys start, just like the Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1cQVMm2rA

I notice they have right-hand running, despite being from a UK company.
This initial system isn't exactly ambitious, with very few stops (I think
two in the car park, and one at the terminal).

One could say that making it all actually work at practice is ambitious
enough for now - after all it is I think the first 'true' PRT system. I've
come across the notion that some of the earlier development ideas proposed
running the system running through the small side tunnels (or at least one
of them) which provide access to the central terminal area.

Old June 27th 11, 06:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

In message , Mizter T
writes

I've come across the notion that some of the earlier development ideas
proposed running the system running through the small side tunnels (or
at least one of them) which provide access to the central terminal area.

I think that's still the intention if the network proves successful
enough to extend to the other terminals.
--
Paul Terry
Old June 27th 11, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

In message , at 00:06:04 on Mon, 27 Jun
2011, Mizter T remarked:

I've come across the notion that some of the earlier development ideas
proposed running the system running through the small side tunnels (or
at least one of them) which provide access to the central terminal area.

It's much more than that - they've used the promise of a large pod
installation through the old cab tunnels to justify various expansion
plans within the T123 complex.

The T5 installation is supposed to be the pilot.
Old June 27th 11, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

On 26/06/2011 12:47, Recliner wrote:
I've not noticed anything posted here, but it looks like the
much-delayed Heathrow pods are finally in service (or are they
technically still on trial?). Anyone here tried them yet?

Here's a recent video I came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCnvBS2SME. It looks like a rather slow
and bumpy ride, but still better than the previous bus, and the views
are good. You even get delays before journeys start, just like the Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1cQVMm2rA

I notice they have right-hand running, despite being from a UK company.
This initial system isn't exactly ambitious, with very few stops (I
think two in the car park, and one at the terminal).

I heard a rumour here a while ago that they plan to have staff on site
for about a month after the PRT's start up to keep gawkers away.
Old July 24th 11, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

" wrote:

On 26/06/2011 12:47, Recliner wrote:
I've not noticed anything posted here, but it looks like the
much-delayed Heathrow pods are finally in service (or are they
technically still on trial?). Anyone here tried them yet?

Here's a recent video I came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCnvBS2SME. It looks like a rather slow
and bumpy ride, but still better than the previous bus, and the views
are good. You even get delays before journeys start, just like the Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1cQVMm2rA

I notice they have right-hand running, despite being from a UK company.
This initial system isn't exactly ambitious, with very few stops (I
think two in the car park, and one at the terminal).

I heard a rumour here a while ago that they plan to have staff on site
for about a month after the PRT's start up to keep gawkers away.

I used the pods twice during the last week as I parked my car at T5
Business Car Park for a trip to Paris. They are quite a bit more
professional than I expected, with high quality finishes inside and
out. With a couple of reservations, they work well enough.

My reservations are (1) that headroom is poor - I'm 5' 10" tall and
had to duck to enter and leave the pod, which was inconvenient with
two bags (one cabin, one checked) - and (2) that the ride quality is
atrocious.

I could probably tolerate the lack of headroom. Once seated, it isn't
a problem. But the ride is desperately uncomfortable, with sharp,
undamped vertical shocks which are probably down to the small diameter
wheels and thin, solid rubber "tyres".

The design asks far too much of a primitive suspension system to soak
up the shocks that would normally be absorbed by the sidewalls of
pneumatic tyres. Well, they aren't pneumatic and they have no
sidewalls, so it is all left to suspension that is too sharply sprung
and has too little travel.

Of course the track is also part of the problem. If it had been
constructed to higher standards (a more even surface) there might have
been the chance of a smoother ride.

I'm unlikely to use the pods again as my future flights to Paris will
be to Orly Airport rather than Charles de Gaulle, so I will be flying
from London City instead. Orly is more convenient for where my
clients are based.

But if I should ever use Terminal 5 to fly to other destinations, I
will be sure to avoid the Business Car Park and the pods with the
appalling ride. A good idea let down by poor attention to a very
important detail.

If anyone wants to try the pods for themselves, there appeared to be
no restrictions on their use. There was no need to have parked in the
T5 Business Car Park.

You just get in a pod and go. There is a choice of two stations (A
and B) in the Business Car Park and just one in the terminal at the
north end of the short stay car park at T5, on Level 2.

Old July 27th 11, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air

"Bruce" wrote in message

" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've also now had a go in the pods. I hadn't parked at the airport,
but as you say, no-one monitors who's using the system (though it's a
bit tucked away at the terminal). As you say, the ride is a bit bumpy,
but it wouldn't put me off using them again -- it certainly beats the
bus. They have a suitably multi-lingual UI, and there's room for four
people plus bags -- maybe the ride is smoother when there's more load on
board?

Heathrow T5 Pods (aka 'ULTra PRT') begin three week "confidence trials". Mizter T London Transport 1 April 19th 11 05:46 PM
London trains, swiping the yellow pods grusl London Transport 10 August 4th 08 11:32 AM
Heathrow pods Boltar London Transport 4 December 18th 07 10:52 AM
Strange sight in Thurrock - PRT? John Rowland London Transport 11 May 22nd 06 08:52 AM
BAA to build ULTra PRT in Heathrow John Rowland London Transport 96 May 20th 06 01:00 PM