Old January 18th 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Heavy steel doors at Holborn

In message , Richard J.
writes
Kat wrote:

Have you heard/read anything about WW2 bomb damage at Mile End?
It was recently mentioned to me by someone who thought there was a
link on the BTP website but I can't find anything.

Go to
http://www.btp.police.uk/History%20S...story%20Societ
y/The%20history/A%20Time%20Line%20for%20Policing%20the%20Railways% 201900
%20-%201949.htm

and look at 24 September 1940: "During a night of heavy enemy bombing, Mile
End Underground Station receives a direct hit." No link to any more
details though.

Many thanks for that.
If you look at:
http://www.eastlondonhistory.fsnet.c...leEnd/pc39.htm
The building with the arches (part of the original station?) is still
there on Burdett Road.
I would really like to know more about what happened to the station
after the bombing if anyone knows.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 18th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote in message ...
In message , Nick
Cooper 625 writes
Kat wrote in message

[...]
At Bethnal Green too;

Everytime I got through any particular station and spot them, I mean
to include the detail in the web-page, but I usually promptly forget
afterwards, because methodically noting facts doesn't multi-task wekk
with "Commute Mode"!

I've taken pictures of the winding mechanism.

Are they on line anywhere, or if not, I know a very good web-site that
might be able to use them...

You're welcome to them.
I was hoping to get down there today and get some better ones but the
best laid plans etc.

Well, if you could e-mail me them, that would be great.

I'm currently wading through the wartime daily bombing reports for
"key points," sifting out all the LU-related railway incidents, which
is producing a mass of data not previously widely known, such as hits
and unexploded bombs at various depots. Also almost finished
identifying by name the vast majority of the wartime fatalities on LU
property, including - on an even more melancholic note - a certain
amount of myth-shattering r.e. Bounds Green.

Have you heard/read anything about WW2 bomb damage at Mile End?
It was recently mentioned to me by someone who thought there was a link
on the BTP website but I can't find anything.

That's another new one on me. Richard notes that the incident was on
24/09/40 , but in going through the daily reports, I began with the
volume that begins with October 1940, simply because most of the
incidents I wanted to chek up on were in that month or the November.
It was only then that it became apparent just how detailed the reports
are, so I just carried on from that point, rather than back-tracking.
Should be at Kew again on Saturday, though, and will see. The reports
detail not only "new" damage, but also whether previous bomb damage is
continuing to affect services, and as 01/10/40 reports - which actualy
covers 09:00 30/09 to 09:00 01/10 - doesn't mention Mile End, we can
probably assume that that was no longer the case, even less than a
week later.

Just as an example, the report for 01/10/40 reads:

- - - -

09:00 30/09 - 09:00 01/10/40

|H.E's |EALING COMMON Station|The bombs fell on the |
|0750 hrs |W.5. |PICCADILLY line. |
|30/9/40 | |Station closed. |
| | |Through trains running|
| | |on single line. |

GENERAL REMARKS: RAILWAYS

L.P.T.B.

The central line service between NORTH ACTON and EALING
BROADWAY has been suspended owing to damage to HANGER LANE
bridge.

The Metropolitan Line between KINGS CROSS and MOORGATE has been
suspended.

The service between ADDISON ROAD and LATIMER ROAD has been
suspended.

Railway Situation Report at 0800 hrs., 1st October, 1940.

L.P.T.B.

Northern Line. Service normal except:
Single Line working Hampstead - Camden Town (Damage Chalk
Farm Tunnell 27/9). Expect re-open 05.10.40.
No service Woodside Park to High Barnet (UXB 21/9)
Central Line. Service suspended Wood Lane - Ealing Broadway
(Damage Hanger Lane Bridge 28/9) and N.Acton Station closed
(date resumption not known).
Piccadilly Line. Closed between RUISLIP and UXBRIDGE (damage
H.E. on 30/9).
Bakerloo Line. Normal, except that Stanmore trains are
reversed at West Hampstead (Damage Kilburn Bridge 16/9).
District Line. Ealing Common Station re-opened 30/9.
Service suspended EALING COMMON - EALING BROADWAY (Damage
Hanger Lane Bridge 28/9). (Date resumption not known).
Metropolitan. Closed between:
Kings Cross and Moorgate (Damage H.E. 10/9 and 24/9),
expect to re-open Oct. 10th, amd Latimer Road-Addison Road
(25/9) expect re-open Oct. 1st. Closed RUISLIP - UXBRIDGE
(H.E. on 30/9).

Unexploded Bombs.

L.P.T.B.

1. Woodside Park 21/9. Serviced suspended
Woodside Park - High
Barnet.
2. Farringdon Cow Cross Street 24/9. Delay in clearance of
line.
3. Neasden Depot 18 road 24/9. Preventing use of South
end of yard.
4. Surrey Docks 24/9. Delay to repairs to
previous damage.
5. (Morden Depot 27/9. No interference.

- - - -

Inevitably, there was a lot of damage to tracks in the open, which was
a lot more disruptive than actual stations being put out of action.
Even so, very few of these incidents - even the Ealing Common hit -
get mentioned elsewhere. All the above is spread over four or five
pages, as it's mixed in with all the other railways around the
country, so it's a question of filtering out the LPTB-related stuff.
I'm still decided whether to just include the raw transcriptions on my
site, or to actually track each incident and do a summary on an
event-by-event basis.
Old January 18th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Kat wrote in message

Have you heard/read anything about WW2 bomb damage at Mile End?
It was recently mentioned to me by someone who thought there was a
link on the BTP website but I can't find anything.

That's another new one on me. Richard notes that the incident was on
24/09/40 , but in going through the daily reports, I began with the
volume that begins with October 1940, simply because most of the
incidents I wanted to chek up on were in that month or the November.

September 1940 is certainly worth researching, as it includes (according to
the BTP site) potentially LU-affecting bombs at Charing Cross, Marble Arch,
Mile End, Earl's Court, Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, a shot-down
German bomber that crashed on the forecourt of Victoria station, and
probably several incidents on the 28th ("Railways attacked across
Britain").

Are you also aware of the daily campaign reports on the RAF's Battle of
Britain site at http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/calendar.html? They include
some railway details.

The service between ADDISON ROAD and LATIMER ROAD has been
suspended.

[...]
Metropolitan. Closed between:
Kings Cross and Moorgate (Damage H.E. 10/9 and 24/9),
expect to re-open Oct. 10th, amd Latimer Road-Addison Road
(25/9) expect re-open Oct. 1st.

Interesting that you quote that particular "suspension", as AFAIK the line
from Latimer Road to Addison Road (now Kensington Olympia) was never
reopened.

--
Richard J.

Old January 18th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:

The service between ADDISON ROAD and LATIMER ROAD has been
suspended.

[...]
Metropolitan. Closed between:
Kings Cross and Moorgate (Damage H.E. 10/9 and 24/9),
expect to re-open Oct. 10th, amd Latimer Road-Addison Road
(25/9) expect re-open Oct. 1st.

Interesting that you quote that particular "suspension", as AFAIK the line
from Latimer Road to Addison Road (now Kensington Olympia) was never
reopened.

Most sources quote the closure as 19/10/40. The daily reports up to
03/10 have the service suspended since 25/09, and it's not mentioned
after that upto and including 12/10 (which is as far as I'm
transcribed my notes so far), which suggests that it did reopen
briefly. It's probably the case, though, that the earlier suspension
precipitated the eventual closure of the branch.
Old January 19th 04, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in message . com...
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm

Interesting header on that page. For the sake of balance perhaps you'd be
interested in having a banner reading out the previous and latest civilian
murders by the Ba'ath party? Just a thought.

B2003

Old January 19th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Boltar) wrote in message . com...
(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in message . com...
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm

Interesting header on that page. For the sake of balance perhaps you'd be
interested in having a banner reading out the previous and latest civilian
murders by the Ba'ath party? Just a thought.

Nothing to stop you doing it on your own website, if you want.

P.S.: Congratulations on so spectacularly missing the point.

P.P.S.: Kill-file.
Old January 19th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
(Boltar) wrote in message
. com...
(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in message
. com...
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm

Interesting header on that page. For the sake of balance perhaps
you'd be
interested in having a banner reading out the previous and latest
civilian
murders by the Ba'ath party? Just a thought.

Nothing to stop you doing it on your own website, if you want.

P.S.: Congratulations on so spectacularly missing the point.

P.P.S.: Kill-file.

Perhaps you should explain *your* point, i.e. why you choose to put
casualty statistics of the Iraq war on a site containing valuable
historical information about London in the Second World War. Personally, I
would rather not mix present-day political debate with that sort of
archive. You presumably have your reasons for doing so, and those might be
respected more if you had bothered to explain them rather than kill-filing
the first person to raise the issue.
--
Richard J.

Old January 20th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
(Boltar) wrote in message
. com...
[...]

For anyone who bothers to look further, the banner is on most of my
web-pages, regardless of content - it is not something specific to
this particular one. My web-pages are the sole responsibility of
myself, they are not supported by any advertising or subscription, and
the fact that I pay for the web-hosting in its entirety means that I
can put whatever I please on them, upto and including something
constituting a political statement of protest against actions carried
out, aided or abetted by the government of my country.
Old January 20th 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Boltar) wrote in message . com...
(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in message . com...
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm

Interesting header on that page. For the sake of balance perhaps you'd be
interested in having a banner reading out the previous and latest civilian
murders by the Ba'ath party? Just a thought.

Nothing to stop you doing it on your own website, if you want.

True , but then I'm not interested in making juvenile political points
on a website that has nothing to do with it and then directing people to
go look. What did you want, a round of applause on how you're just following
the opinion of rest of the left wing flock like a good little sheep?

P.S.: Congratulations on so spectacularly missing the point.

How could anyone miss it? You might as well have sign posted it.

P.P.S.: Kill-file.

Oh well, I'll just have to come to terms with the loss of any devastatingly
incisive replies you may have posted in the future.

B2003
Old January 20th 04, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Boltar) wrote in message . com...
(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in message . com...
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm

Interesting header on that page. For the sake of balance perhaps you'd be
interested in having a banner reading out the previous and latest civilian
murders by the Ba'ath party? Just a thought.

Nothing to stop you doing it on your own website, if you want.

True , but then I'm not interested in making juvenile political points
on a website that has nothing to do with it and then directing people to
go look. What did you want, a round of applause on how you're just following
the opinion of rest of the left wing flock like a good little sheep?

That's quite funny, considering that you're the one who's bleating the
most about this.

P.S.: Congratulations on so spectacularly missing the point.

How could anyone miss it? You might as well have sign posted it.

Nope, you're _still_ missing it. Here's a clue: My tax never paid the
wages of Saddam Hussein, his henchmen, his allies or the Ba'ath Party.
Keep thinking about it until you get it, although if it makes your
brain hurt too much, you might need to lie down in a nice dark and
quiet place for a bit.

P.P.S.: Kill-file.

Oh well, I'll just have to come to terms with the loss of any devastatingly
incisive replies you may have posted in the future.

Well, try not to lose too much sleep over it. You can, though, take
solace in the fact that a whole ten months after the banners were
added, you have earned the distinction of being the very first person
who has tried to pick a fight over them.

Fake Corum Bubble Mini Diamond Steel Black Ladies Watch101-151-47-0F01-PN52 [email protected] London Transport 0 April 15th 08 11:32 AM
Steel coppers Offramp London Transport 5 November 4th 07 07:11 PM
Need Used Heavy Equipment such as; Backhoes, Excavators, Dozers, Graders, Cranes, Skidders, Loaders, Forestry, Farming, and/or any type of Construction equipment .....Please visit Iron Globe Iron Globe London Transport 0 May 2nd 07 03:03 PM
Used Heavy Equipment Online Auctions - fees as low as 2%, And/Or Xchange... Iron Globe London Transport 0 April 30th 07 01:45 PM