Old January 6th 12, 01:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could it happen here...??

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 14:44:20 +0000, The Real Doctor
wrote:

On 05/01/12 13:55, Lüko Willms wrote:
Does he fire any gay person from the Scotrail operations he manages?

He doesn't manage Scotrail. He owns it. We call that "capitalism".

He doesn't own ScotRail, he is joint owner of Stagecoach Group. The
brand "ScotRail" (not to be confused with "ScotRail prefixed or
suffixed Ltd.") belongs to the Scottish Government.

Old January 6th 12, 01:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:42:50 +0100, Lüko Willms
wrote:

Am 05.01.2012 15:39, schrieb Graham Nye:
In the UK, shares of state-owned companies ("nationalised", in our
terminology) aren't traded on a stock exchange. All shares are
retained by the state and none are sold.

Only if the state decides to sell the company ("privatise" it) will
the shares be released for trading in a stock exchange.

or selling chunks of shares directly to an "investor".

Did they put the shares of British Rail up for sale on the stock
exchange? Not as far as I know.

There weren't any. British Rail was a trading title of British
Railways which was a statutary corporation not involving share
capital. What was sold were the assets which had been transferred into
the holding of several companies.
snip
Old January 6th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Bob Bob is offline

On 5 Jan., 19:54, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 05/01/2012 14:49, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 05/01/2012 14:46, Graham Nye wrote:
On 05/01/2012 13:46, Lüko Willms wrote:
Am 04.01.2012 14:26, schrieb Graham Nye:
On 04/01/2012 10:01, Lüko Willms wrote:
Under capitalist rule, you will find that most state owned
enterprises are actually operated with the objective to make profit.

Old January 6th 12, 09:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

wrote:

On 05/01/12 13:55, Lüko Willms wrote:
Does he fire any gay person from the Scotrail operations he manages?

He doesn't manage Scotrail. He owns it. We call that "capitalism".

He doesn't own ScotRail, he is joint owner of Stagecoach Group. The
brand "ScotRail" (not to be confused with "ScotRailprefixed or
suffixed Ltd.") belongs to the Scottish Government.

I know. I was simplifying things to a level which I thought Lüko would
be able to understand. Mind you, I think I was wrong, anyway, 'cos
Scotrail is run by First, isn't it, who are Stagecoach's biggest rivals.
I was thinking of Virgin.

Ian
Old January 6th 12, 09:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Maybe you are confusing various parts of Berlin? Köpenick is in the
East, Funkturm in the West.

I'm sorry I ,meant the Fernhesturm. I don't think the Funkturm has a cafe
.. As a good radio amateur I naturally went up the Funkturm as well. It had
a good radio museum on the ground floor at the time and I think it was still
in use for SFB BBC and BFBS.

AT the time Berlin had more FM stations than anywhere else becasue there was
also the DDR networks from the Fernesturm, , French forces , AFN and RIAS
as we;;/

..

Old January 6th 12, 09:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

I think his point was, and I think he is right, that the DDR authorities
allowed anyone to cross the wall who was either not one of their own
nationals or a national of another country (ie the Eastern Block) with whom
they had an agreement to stop travel.

The West German authorities did not check entries to West Berlin from East
Berlin, presumably because of the four powers agreement which said that West
Berlin was made up of British, American and French Sectors.

Nationals of anywhere outside the Eastern Block could arrive at Schonefeld
Airport and get a transit visa to Friedrichstrasse and cross into the West
there. If I recall it resulted in quite a few Palestinians living in West
Berlin at the time.

As an aside there's quite a good article on Friedrichstrasse Station (in
English) on Wikipedia at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_...C3%9Fe_station

which has diagrams and other periond information,

Old January 6th 12, 12:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 06/01/12 10:37, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , Charles Ellson
writes

He doesn't manage Scotrail. He owns it. We call that "capitalism".

He doesn't own ScotRail, he is joint owner of Stagecoach Group. The
brand "ScotRail" (not to be confused with "ScotRail prefixed or
suffixed Ltd.") belongs to the Scottish Government.

And last I heard was managed by First group which is nothing to do with
Stagecoach.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lüko's mistake, and I feel a bit silly for not
having spotted it.

Ian
Old January 6th 12, 01:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

In message , at 14:26:33 on Thu, 5 Jan 2012,
The Real Doctor remarked:

Hitler apologists

Paging Mike Godwin.
Old January 6th 12, 01:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

In message , at 11:20:14 on Thu, 5 Jan
2012, d remarked:
If you're so addicted to the online world that you need to be connected 24/7
via your phone instead of waiting until you get to a PC then you'll just have
to suck it up won't you. If operators want to part fools from their money
then good luck to them.

I'm addicted to online (that much is very clear) but I rarely rely upon
mobile phone companies to provide pay-per-byte connectivity.
Old January 6th 12, 01:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

In message , at 19:03:33 on
Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Charles Ellson remarked:

Mercury was also mentioned but unlike BT they had nothing in the way of
a universal service obligation and served a very small market.

I'm not aware that dialling the Mercury Access code was in any way
restricted, other than people, wherever they were, signing up for a
Mercury subscription.