Old March 20th 12, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster complaints

In message , at 10:39:17 on Tue, 20
Mar 2012, Robin9 remarked:
What local regeneration?

If you really want to know (rather than pick a fight), look at the
information readily available online.

Old March 21st 12, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:55:46PM +0000, Mizter T wrote:
On 20/03/2012 12:20, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 03:28:54PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
That's the Olympic Park, most of the infrastructure I refer to is
elsewhere, in the transport, local regeneration and so on.

What transport? There's no new stations. What regeneration? Westfield
would have been built anyway according to the developers, and anything
else might just about make up for all the business that were knocked
down to make way for the gigantic white elephant.

Significant ODA transport funding has for instance gone towards the
North London Line upgrade (both new trains and infrastructure), the DLR
three car project (both rolling stock and infrastructure), and the new
DLR route from Stratford International to Canning Town (which includes
new stations).

I sit corrected then - thanks.

Still not convinced that it's enough to make the whole thing worthwhile
though, and there's still all the money being wasted on a stadium etc
and on people running in circles.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Compromise: n: lowering my standards so you can meet them
Old March 21st 12, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 01:02:50PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:20:33
on Tue, 20 Mar 2012, David Cantrell remarked:
What regeneration?

In Stratford and Lee Valley.

Such as?

But there are many other Olympic venues
too, and don't be so naive to believe they'd all have been spruced up
anyway.

Oh sure. Sports venues that will after the Olympics be used by
approximately no-one. And a few years after the Olympics and all the
razzmatazz have been and gone, they'll go back to quietly decaying away.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Erudite is when you make a classical allusion to a
feather. Kinky is when you use the whole chicken.
Old March 21st 12, 05:46 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Why should it be necessary to do online research? According to the Olympics propagandists, there is so much regeneration that it should be evident to local residents. It isn't evident and that is why we are sceptical. Certainly we see money being wasted on nonsense such as pavements in good order being replaced but we East Londoners are not silly enough to regard that as regeneration.

Let those who assert that regeneration is taking place provide examples, and we will give an opinion.

By the way, the purpose of a forum such as this to exchange ideas, information and opinions. If someone asks a question, they are not necessarily looking for a fight.
Old March 22nd 12, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:46:28 on Wed, 21
Mar 2012, Robin9 remarked:
What local regeneration?-

If you really want to know (rather than pick a fight), look at the
information readily available online.

Why should it be necessary to do online research? According to the

Olympics propagandists, there is so much regeneration that it should be

evident to local residents. It isn't evident and that is why we are

sceptical. Certainly we see money being wasted on nonsense such as

pavements in good order being replaced but we East Londoners are not

silly enough to regard that as regeneration.

Let those who assert that regeneration is taking place provide examples,

and we will give an opinion.

By the way, the purpose of a forum such as this to exchange ideas,

information and opinions. If someone asks a question, they are not

necessarily looking for a fight.

There's a cynical tone to your questions which implies you want to pick
a fight with the Olympic project, if nothing else.

Old March 22nd 12, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:53:57 on Thu, 22
Mar 2012, Robin9 remarked:
I am cynical about the UK Olympics, as are most sensible people.

Asking "What local regeneration?" can not reasonably be interpreted as

looking for a fight either with members of this forum or, now that you

are repositioning yourself, with the "Olympic project."

Given that the Olympic project claims the regeneration is obvious, and
that you aren't looking for a fight, I assume you'll quietly agree to
disagree with them.
Old March 22nd 12, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 22, 5:53*pm, Robin9 wrote:

Roland Perry;129100 Wrote:
[...]
There's a cynical tone to your questions which implies you want to pick
a fight with the Olympic project, if nothing else.

I am cynical about the UK Olympics, as are most sensible people.

That's a really lame way of making an argument, because you're
basically dismissing those you disagree with rather than showing any
willing to engage with them and their ideas ('exchange opinion' as you
yourself said above). It's along the lines of "any right thinking
person"...

Old March 23rd 12, 06:18 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
On Mar 22, 5:53*pm, Robin9 wrote:

Roland Perry;129100 Wrote:
[...]
There's a cynical tone to your questions which implies you want to pick
a fight with the Olympic project, if nothing else.

I am cynical about the UK Olympics, as are most sensible people.

That's a really lame way of making an argument, because you're
basically dismissing those you disagree with rather than showing any
willing to engage with them and their ideas ('exchange opinion' as you
yourself said above). It's along the lines of "any right thinking
person"...

Asking "What local regeneration?" can not reasonably be interpreted as
looking for a fight either with members of this forum or, now that you
are repositioning yourself, with the "Olympic project."
I haven't made an argument, lame or otherwise. I've asked a question which remains unanswered. It is difficult "to engage" with people who do not answer a simple question such as "what local regeneration".
Old March 23rd 12, 06:29 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

As no-one in this forum seems willing or able to provide examples of regeneration,
I have no reason to change either my opinion or my attitude to the
propaganda put out by those running the UK Olympics.