Old June 5th 12, 10:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

On Jun 5, 10:24*am, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 02/06/12 19:02, SB wrote:

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Ian

I'm not connected with the railway but the impression I gained is that
the plan is to run steam trains NW - Ongar since there will be run-
round facilities at both ends, with a DMU shuttle at the Epping end
where it's just a single line. On the opening weekend, the loop at
Ongar was not ready.

Old June 5th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 02/06/12 19:02, SB wrote:

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Ian

I'm not connected with the railway but the impression I gained is that
the plan is to run steam trains NW - Ongar since there will be run-
round facilities at both ends, with a DMU shuttle at the Epping end
where it's just a single line. On the opening weekend, the loop at
Ongar was not ready.

I'm a Member, I couldn't volunteer this weekend due to other
commitments, but I hope to start soon!
Old June 6th 12, 12:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 5, 11:33*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:24:54 on Tue, 5 Jun 2012,
The Real Doctor remarked:

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Clearance under the M11 bridge?

Epping to Ongar would have been the perfect line for preserved 1938
and Standard tube trains. I know Electricity, Elfin Safety. There
are US preserved Trolley Lines with 600v DC overhead.
Old June 6th 12, 12:14 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Jun 6, 1:07*pm, 77002 wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:33*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:24:54 on Tue, 5 Jun 2012,
The Real Doctor remarked:

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Clearance under the M11 bridge?

Epping to Ongar would have been the perfect line for preserved 1938
and Standard tube trains. *I know Electricity, Elfin Safety. *There
are US preserved Trolley Lines with 600v DC overhead.

Has anyone seen the rusty tube loco. wreck outside Epping Station? It
looks like a long abandoned battery loco. Surprised the scrap metal
wallas haven't had it. Its been there for years. Apparently its been
offered to EOR but they don't want it.

CJB.
Old June 6th 12, 12:24 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 05:14:10 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

On Jun 6, 1:07*pm, 77002 wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:33*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:24:54 on Tue, 5 Jun 2012,
The Real Doctor remarked:

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Clearance under the M11 bridge?

Epping to Ongar would have been the perfect line for preserved 1938
and Standard tube trains. *I know Electricity, Elfin Safety. *There
are US preserved Trolley Lines with 600v DC overhead.

Has anyone seen the rusty tube loco. wreck outside Epping Station? It
looks like a long abandoned battery loco. Surprised the scrap metal
wallas haven't had it. Its been there for years. Apparently its been
offered to EOR but they don't want it.

From what I've read, EOR harks back to the line's origins as a steam
railway, and ignores its temporary status as an electrified Tube line.
So any Tube memorabilia would have limited or no relevance.

Old June 6th 12, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes
From what I've read, EOR harks back to the line's origins as a steam
railway, and ignores its temporary status as an electrified Tube line.
So any Tube memorabilia would have limited or no relevance.

And to think that when I was at Hainault I used to work on that shuttle,
but both intermediate stations were open then.
--
Clive
Old June 6th 12, 12:59 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 6, 1:44*pm, Clive wrote:
In message , Recliner
writesFrom what I've read, EOR harks back to the line's origins as a steam
railway, and ignores its temporary status as an electrified Tube line.
So any Tube memorabilia would have limited or no relevance.

And to think that when I was at Hainault I used to work on that shuttle,
but both intermediate stations were open then.

The UK has countless preserved railways that reflect steam in the 20s/
30s/40s/50s. It would be so good to have a line doing something
different. A line with preserved tube trains at the end of an active
tube line would be special. Keep in mind that in the early tube years
the route to Ongar had electric passenger trains, and steam freight
trains.

Their line, their choices I guess.
Old June 6th 12, 02:15 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2012\06\06 13:07, 77002 wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:33 am, Roland wrote:
In , at 10:24:54 on Tue, 5 Jun 2012,
The Real remarked:

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Clearance under the M11 bridge?

Epping to Ongar would have been the perfect line for preserved 1938
and Standard tube trains.

Of course not, it's the middle of nowhere, and Tube stock only makes
sense in a Tube. The Aldwych branch (accessed from Holborn only) would
be much better. Even the abandoned Thameslink tunnels from Barbican to
Moorgate would be a better place for preserved Tube stock than a field
in Essex.
Old June 6th 12, 02:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:15:04 on
Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Basil Jet remarked:
Epping to Ongar would have been the perfect line for preserved 1938
and Standard tube trains.

Of course not, it's the middle of nowhere, and Tube stock only makes
sense in a Tube.

Or on a line leading from London to the "Secret" Nuclear bunker.

The Aldwych branch (accessed from Holborn only) would be much better.
Even the abandoned Thameslink tunnels from Barbican to Moorgate would
be a better place for preserved Tube stock than a field in Essex.

For a museum, I agree, although neither of those is much good for giving
rides on the trains.
Old June 6th 12, 02:51 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 6, 3:15*pm, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2012\06\06 13:07, 77002 wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:33 am, Roland *wrote:
In , at 10:24:54 on Tue, 5 Jun 2012,
The Real *remarked:

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

As a matter of interest, why two train sets on each side of North Weald
and not end-to-end trains? Some issue with steam in the forest?

Clearance under the M11 bridge?

Epping to Ongar would have been the perfect line for preserved 1938
and Standard tube trains.

Of course not, it's the middle of nowhere, and Tube stock only makes
sense in a Tube. The Aldwych branch (accessed from Holborn only) would
be much better. Even the abandoned Thameslink tunnels from Barbican to
Moorgate would be a better place for preserved Tube stock than a field
in Essex.

Come on Basil, the Thameslink tunnels would not look right. The
platforms are too high and the tunnels are too big. The Aldwych
Branch, with Aldwych Station re-opend by preservationists would be
perfect. But, we both know that is not going to happen. The Ongar
Branch is the next best thing.