Old June 26th 12, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The dangleway

In article ,
(Jarle H Knudsen) wrote:

Any chance the Air Line will open in the next two weeks?

I see ads in yesterday's Metro saying "Inaugural flight 28.06.12".

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old June 26th 12, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, 26 June 2012 11:10:23 UTC+1, Mike Bristow wrote:

Just in time for the journey from Dunwich back to London!

Dunwich as in the Dunwich Horror?
Old June 26th 12, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Offramp wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 June 2012 11:10:23 UTC+1, Mike Bristow wrote:

Just in time for the journey from Dunwich back to London!

Dunwich as in the Dunwich Horror?

No, as in the Dynamo.

--
Mike Bristow

Old June 26th 12, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:11:40 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

On 18/06/2012 07:06, Neil Williams wrote:

Great, yet another non integrated element in TfL's fare system.

What on earth were you expecting? It's a fair ground ride writ large.

Indeed. So, as Neil says, remove the roundel. While you're at it,
remove the word "barclays" from all tfl.gov.uk URLs. We can have a
commercial TfL domain name for that (and the dangleway).

I wonder what it would cost to integrate the more obviously public
transport river journeys into the TfL structure -- or to tender for
new ones? That's somewhere between "transport" and "fun", and it has
been done elsewhere...

I'd also like to see bus connections for free and no extra charge for
an NR journey -- but I take the point about how to explain the
necessary fare rises.

Richard.

Old June 26th 12, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard wrote:

I wonder what it would cost to integrate the more obviously public
transport river journeys into the TfL structure -- or to tender for
new ones? That's somewhere between "transport" and "fun", and it has
been done elsewhere...

One way to do it and manage demand might be to introduce first class within
the Travelcard area. This would allow use on first class on trains, not
currently available in the TfL fare system unless you buy a point to point
first class paper ticket, as well as perhaps other premium quasi-TfL
services like the dangleway and river services, and perhaps even consider
introducing Schnellbus style high quality express buses as well.

This would come at a fixed supplement to the standard zonal single fares or
a higher one to Travelcards or Oyster caps. That's how they do it in
Hamburg.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 28th 12, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:36:57 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 09:13:21 on
Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
Oyster fare is £3.20 (I assume on PAYG).

Does it form a component of daily capping?

No

There is an interesting subtlety though that I've just spotted. If you
make 5 trips in a week using PAYG then those trips are charged at
£1.60 each. This is obviously to encourage regular usage and is much
closer to the "normal" PAYG rate of £1.50 peak or £1.40 off peak for
tube & dlr. I assume Oyster does something clever in logging
dangleway journeys separately and once 5 are recorded in a week there
is an add back of £8.

This raises the interesting anomaly that 3 journeys (9.60), or 4 journeys
(12.80) are more expensive than 5 journeys (8.00). So anyone doing 2 return
journeys in a week will effectively be paid 4.80 if they take another single
journey. Presumably you could touch in with your Oyster and then decline to
travel to avoid ending up on the wrong side of the river.

Peter Smyth

Old June 28th 12, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/06/2012 18:38, Peter Smyth wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

There is an interesting subtlety though that I've just spotted. If you
make 5 trips in a week using PAYG then those trips are charged at
£1.60 each. This is obviously to encourage regular usage and is much
closer to the "normal" PAYG rate of £1.50 peak or £1.40 off peak for
tube & dlr. I assume Oyster does something clever in logging
dangleway journeys separately and once 5 are recorded in a week there
is an add back of £8.

This raises the interesting anomaly that 3 journeys (9.60), or 4
journeys (12.80) are more expensive than 5 journeys (8.00). So anyone
doing 2 return journeys in a week will effectively be paid 4.80 if they
take another single journey. Presumably you could touch in with your
Oyster and then decline to travel to avoid ending up on the wrong side
of the river.

It doesn't quite work like that - rather, they've devised something
called the "5+ Reward" which credits a user back 50% of the cost of the
previous week's journeys when they make a further trip on the cable car
- though despite references to the "previous week" this is actually
available for collection for up to six weeks.

It's explained he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/23851.aspx#5plus

For the record, I'll copy and paste the relevant blurb below:
---quote---
5+ Reward

If you use Oyster to pay as you go for 5 or more Emirates Air Line
journeys in a calendar week (Sunday to Saturday), you'll get the 5+
Reward. The 5+ Reward is 50 per cent off the total price paid for 5
journeys or more during a week.
How do I get the 5+ Reward?

If you make 5 journeys or more in a calendar week, you'll pay the full
pay as you go fare for all the journeys you made. However, when you
travel the following week, 50 per cent of the total cost of your
previous week's journeys will be credited back to your Oyster card.

At the end of each week, we will work out how much to reward you and
automatically send this to the Emirates Air Line gates ready for you to
collect from the following week.

The 5+ Reward will be loaded on to your Oyster card as pay as you go
credit when you touch your Oyster card on a yellow card reader at the
Emirates Air Line gates. The 5+ Reward can only be collected as part of
an Emirates Air Line journey.

Your 5+ Reward will be available to collect from the next calendar week
for up to 6 weeks; after this, it will expire.
[...continues...]
---quote---
Old June 28th 12, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/06/2012 12:44, Mizter T wrote:

On 16/06/2012 00:14, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
Any chance the Air Line will open in the next two weeks?

No chance.

And if proof was needed that I don't know what I'm talking about, one
week and five days later...

TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/24391.aspx

Archive URL:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/24391.aspx
Old June 29th 12, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 00:19:44 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

*Thursday* 28 June 2012.

I suspect that might just allow Jarle to sneak a ride before he has to
head to the airport!

Alas, I had an early flight. Guess I will have to come back

--
jhk