Old August 22nd 12, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground Maps Unravelled

In message , at 08:50:24 on Tue, 21 Aug
2012, d remarked:

That works if there is a turn-up and go service everywhere, or the map

Is there a metro system in the world that isn't turn up and go?

When does that kick in... 4tph? I'm sure we can find a 3tph Metro.

Old August 22nd 12, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

On 22 Aug 2012 11:15:55 GMT, Neil Williams wrote:

wrote:

If you use smartphones a lot the battery can go within a day which isn't much
use if you're spending the day away from the hotel.

I charge mine every night, but it rarely if ever needs more.

I need about two and half charges a day on my Samsung Galaxy S II, so I
carry extra batteries and have a separate battery charger. Problem solved.

I found my HTC smartphone needed more than one charge a day so I
bought an aftermarket battery with 50% more capacity which, although
slightly bigger, still just fits in the battery compartment. It gave
the phone the extra time needed so I only charged it once a day.

But what made the biggest difference was upgrading the Google OS to
4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Power management is much better and I can get
two days out of one charge as long as I avoid a couple of apps that
are particularly power hungry.

Old August 22nd 12, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote i

This is obvious. If you try to buy a *really* dumb phone, of the

sort
that was common a decade ago - a Nokia 6310i, for example - you just
can't. It doesn't matter that there's still a small market for them,
they're just not made any more.

You may have to buy a ruggedised phone ?

But some people need phones with no camera because they visit or work
in places where no such devices get past the security perimeter and
have been able to find them.

--
Mike D

Old August 22nd 12, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/08/2012 10:18, Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

Is there a metro system in the world that isn't turn up and go?

Merseyrail on a Sunday. The S Bahn Stuttgart.

You might have had a fair wait at Shoreditch if you weren't careful.

I'm pretty certain events-only stations exist at places like sports
stadia. I think Ulm has a tram branch to a conference centre. Depending
what counts as a metro, I think there are S-bahn branded rail services
which are hourly, perhaps even every 2 h, which might catch out someone
who is used to a Berlin-style operation. Southern "metro" services to
Epsom Downs are hourly, although I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone
outside Southern use the term.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 22nd 12, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-08-22, David Cantrell wrote:
There are a handful of members who don't have email, but that handful
was deemed to not be important enough to justify the costs of catering
to their choice of not having email.

Discrimination, pure and simple. They are saying "we don't care who you
are or how long you've been here or what contribution you have made or
could make, if you don't have email we don't care about you". Nice. Not
having email is not necessarily a matter of choice.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry
Old August 23rd 12, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:30:04 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 22/08/2012 14:04, d wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:29:34 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
price of manufacturing smartphones is dropping quickly (retail price,
unsubsidised, has already dropped from hundreds of pounds to tens of
pounds),

Depends. You can pick up some old symbian stuff for 90 quid but thats
about as low as it goes at the moment.

So this article is a complete work of fabrication and lies:

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/08/2...ndroid_phones/

Fair enough, I was just going by what I'd seen in some phone shops
recently when the wife was looking for something.

B2003

Old August 23rd 12, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:18:05 +0100
"Paul Scott" wrote:
In another thread, boltar is complaining that the ELL cannot be considered
turn up and go because the trains don't run every 1-2mins, that's about 40
tph.

I doubt 4 tph is going to cut it with boltar...

Not really. Though the utterly hopeless service to JFK airport on the
NYC subway probably had something similar though its been years since I've
been there so maybe its improved.

B2003

Old August 23rd 12, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:08:05 +0100
Richard wrote:
The Summer timetable on the "metro" in Palma (Mallorca) is a whole *1*
tph. The usual service is 4 tph with 2 tph for the first and last
hour, and half that at weekends. Just shows that it is only really
there for the university.

Given its a small town on a small island that really has no business having
a metro in the first place I'll let them off. Still, its nice to see where
spain wasted all its euros. Another good example is the Bulnes Funicular
in the picos europa. Its entirely underground, must have cost a bloody
fortune to build since its all tunnelled through granite and runs from nowhere
to a small village consisting of 2 cafes and 3 donkeys. Its not even a
skiing area so they can't even get their money back in winter. Unbelievable.
Nice ride though!

B2003