Old September 30th 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central Line P&R [was: Took A Ride to Epping]

wrote in message

I wonder if it would have made sense to double track the section to north
weald , terminate trains there and capture commuter traffic from the M11.
There are plenty of empty fields around there that could have been turned
into
a huge park and ride facility, unlike Epping station which is pretty much
hemmed in.

I'd use a station out that way if it was easily accessed from the M11.

I live a little beyond the top of the M11 and quite often need to get into
central London.

I generally either use Ely station (£3 a day parking nearby) or drive down
to Redbridge or Blackhorse Road and Tube in from there.

ISTR Newbury Park was built with the intention of being convenient for all
kinds of road traffic (buses and cars) from the A12. I presume in the last
55 years or so, its capacity has become a bit inadequate?

Re-open the Ilford loop, I say! Who needs allotments anyway?

:-)

--
Brian

Old October 1st 12, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 20:01:00 +0100
"Brian Watson" wrote:
I generally either use Ely station (£3 a day parking nearby) or drive down
to Redbridge or Blackhorse Road and Tube in from there.

Blackhorse road seems an odd choice. Surely driving all the way into
walthamstow negates any time saving benefits of getting the tube , not to
mention lack of parking?

B2003

Old October 1st 12, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:19:03 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
It is opposite the station across Forest Road in front of the
industrial units.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UT...d+station+car+
ark

Clearly visible on the satellite view.

Thought that was private. Fair enough.

B2003

Old October 1st 12, 03:58 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Even in the morning rush hour the Billet Road/Blackhorse Lane route
works well. Why? Because there are no traffic lights, only a couple
of pesky pedestrian lights! Without God-forsaken traffic lights,
London's road traffic moves quite smoothly.

Old October 2nd 12, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote:
I generally either use Ely station (£3 a day parking nearby) or drive down
to Redbridge or Blackhorse Road and Tube in from there.

Blackhorse road seems an odd choice. Surely driving all the way into
walthamstow negates any time saving benefits of getting the tube , not to
mention lack of parking?

I can time a road journey from home to keep going at a sensible speed down
the M11 and round the North Circ to Blackhorse Road, arriving at about
9.15-9.30.

I've never had a problem parking there at that time.

Doing the last bit by Victoria line means using an efficient method into the
centre of London.

Similarly, getting out (except at the VERY peak time) is easy and I can
listen to the radio on the way home without distressing my fellow
travellers.

--
Brian

Old October 2nd 12, 07:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Took A Ride to Epping

"Robin9" wrote in message

Even in the morning rush hour the Billet Road/Blackhorse Lane route
works well. Why? Because there are no traffic lights, only a couple
of pesky pedestrian lights! Without God-forsaken traffic lights,
London's road traffic moves quite smoothly.

Speed enforcement on that section is a bit strict, but the traffic MOSTLY
keeps moving.

--
Brian

Old October 2nd 12, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote:
I generally either use Ely station (£3 a day parking nearby) or drive down
to Redbridge or Blackhorse Road and Tube in from there.

Blackhorse road seems an odd choice. Surely driving all the way into
walthamstow negates any time saving benefits of getting the tube , not to
mention lack of parking?

I can time a road journey from home to keep going at a sensible speed down
the M11 and round the North Circ to Blackhorse Road, arriving at about
9.15-9.30.

I've never had a problem parking there at that time.

In that case I might mention it to my relatives. Perhaps they can try it
instead of redbridge.

B2003

Old October 2nd 12, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:58:31 +0100
Robin9 wrote:
Even in the morning rush hour the Billet Road/Blackhorse Lane route
works well. Why? Because there are no traffic lights, only a couple
of pesky pedestrian lights! Without God-forsaken traffic lights,
London's road traffic moves quite smoothly.

I've certainly seen that happen - traffic lights pack up , traffic goes
a lot quicker. Of course there's no such thing as a free lunch - the people
who suffer are pedestrians who now find it almost impossible to cross and cars
coming in from side roads.

B2003