Old November 8th 12, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

Default Dartford crossing

In message , at 19:05:27 on Thu, 8 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
The M6 Toll is admittedly well known, and I have a vague recollection
that the Humber, Severn and Forth bridges are tolled (none of which I've
used in the last 20+ years). Beyond that... nothing.

tim's assertion upthread is of course quite daft.

what, the assertion that a well travelled person live Roland should
know the half dozen major tolled roads in the UK?

Surprisingly enough, I've rarely encountered toll roads.

I amazed that he doesn't

JOOI Which ones are missing from my list?

Old November 8th 12, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at 18:52:20 on Thu, 8
Nov 2012, Ian Jackson remarked:
- the Tyne Tunnel (rejoicing in the title "A19" - it used to be the A1),

Point of information:
The Tyne Tunnel was never the A1. The A1 was the road over the Tyne
Bridge. The Western Bypass is now the A1.

The only time I've been to Newcastle is either travelling through by
train, or once about 20 years ago when I flew there from Heathrow (one
of only two domestic flights I've ever taken - the other was London to
Glasgow).
Old November 8th 12, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at 18:56:58 on Thu, 8 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
When I used the Dartford Crossing about three months ago (for the
first time in years) I had no idea if it was still tolled, and if so
what the charging arrangements were. It was cheaper than I was
expecting (for a tolled road, I'd have been just as happy if it had
been free).

but you did know that you might expect to pay a toll

I used to go through the tunnel regularly in the 80's, both to and from
Gatwick but also to suppliers in the Dorking area. This time I think I
did take the precaution of having some change handy, should it be
needed. Not being able to pay with cash would be a significant surprise.

The M6 Toll is admittedly well known, and I have a vague recollection
that the Humber, Severn and Forth bridges are tolled (none of which
I've used in the last 20+ years). Beyond that... nothing.

So you do know that you need to check about paying a toll

Like my Dartford trip, I might take some change with me.

How much easier it would be if there were one national scheme that you
registered with that meant that you didn't (need to check)

No, I am registered with too many things already (keeping them up to
date with changes of address and card details is a significant issue).

For one toll every couple of years, it's not a useful exercise.

BTW I believe that the Forth bridge is now free.

Old November 8th 12, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at 16:36:15 on
Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Nick Finnigan remarked:

most will not want to use a toll road somewhere in the country before
they change their cars or credit cards.

I have a personal plate, so that one is sorted (originally so that it
was easier back in the day, when paying for petrol with a CC required
you to also state the vehicle reg number).
Old November 8th 12, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On 08/11/2012 20:20, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:05:27 on Thu, 8 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
The M6 Toll is admittedly well known, and I have a vague recollection
that the Humber, Severn and Forth bridges are tolled (none of which
I've
used in the last 20+ years). Beyond that... nothing.

tim's assertion upthread is of course quite daft.

what, the assertion that a well travelled person live Roland should
know the half dozen major tolled roads in the UK?

Surprisingly enough, I've rarely encountered toll roads.

I amazed that he doesn't

JOOI Which ones are missing from my list?

Penrhyndeudraeth, Clifton are two I can think of, but they might not
count as major :-)

Old November 8th 12, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:52:20 on Thu, 8
Nov 2012, Ian Jackson remarked:
- the Tyne Tunnel (rejoicing in the title "A19" - it used to be the A1),

Point of information:
The Tyne Tunnel was never the A1. The A1 was the road over the Tyne
Bridge. The Western Bypass is now the A1.

The only time I've been to Newcastle is either travelling through by
train, or once about 20 years ago when I flew there from Heathrow (one of
only two domestic flights I've ever taken - the other was London to Glasgow).

Wow, I'm surprised. From memory, I've flown between London and Manchester,
Leeds Bradford, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Belfast (plus
Jersey and the IoM, and three Irish airports).
Old November 8th 12, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at
20:37:30 on Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Clive George
remarked:
JOOI Which ones are missing from my list?

Penrhyndeudraeth, Clifton are two I can think of, but they might not
count as major :-)

There's a toll bridge at Pangbourne, of course. Not exactly a trunk road
though.
Old November 8th 12, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 14:40:50 on Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Recliner
remarked:
The only time I've been to Newcastle is either travelling through by
train, or once about 20 years ago when I flew there from Heathrow (one of
only two domestic flights I've ever taken - the other was London to Glasgow).

Wow, I'm surprised. From memory, I've flown between London and Manchester,
Leeds Bradford, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Belfast (plus
Jersey and the IoM, and three Irish airports).

Normally I drive to Scotland, as I need a car at that end. I've flown to
Cork and Dublin, but don't count those as 'domestic'.
Old November 8th 12, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On 08/11/2012 21:01, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
20:37:30 on Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Clive George
remarked:

JOOI Which ones are missing from my list?

Penrhyndeudraeth, Clifton are two I can think of, but they might not
count as major :-)

There's a toll bridge at Pangbourne, of course. Not exactly a trunk road
though.

There's a toll road in London. Also not exactly a trunk road!
Old November 8th 12, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , JNugent
writes

There are also:
- the Tyne Tunnel (rejoicing in the title "A19" - it used to be the A1),

Point of information:
The Tyne Tunnel was never the A1. The A1 was the road over the Tyne
Bridge. The Western Bypass is now the A1.

Point of information: The Tyne Tunnel *was* intended to be on the A1.

The road we now know as the A19 was intended to be the new A1,
replacing the original A1 which went through the centre of Newcastle.
The intention was to commission the first of two bores under the Tyne,
at which point the new road would open throughout, then build the
second bore as traffic built up.

The plan fell apart when construction of the first bore ran into
problems resulting in a long-delayed completion at a cost vastly
greater than the original budget. It was then realised that building
a second bore alongside using the same deep tunnelling techniques was
almost certain to prove impracticable.

Leaving the A1 running through Newcastle could not be tolerated. So,
at that point, re-routing the A1 along what is now the Western Bypass
alignment was considered to be the best option. The A19 was left as
an arterial road with just a single bore under the Tyne.

Of course the Western Bypass got busier and congestion became severe.
So a proposal was mooted to build a second tunnel under the Tyne using
a completely different technique. Instead of boring a tunnel through
the problematic rock, a trench would be dredged in the river and
prefabricated tubes floated into it and joined underwater.

This is called an "immersed tube tunnel". Previous UK examples
included the A55 Conwy Tunnel in North Wales and the A289 Medway
Tunnel between Chatham Dockyard and the Wainscott Bypass in Kent.

The Tyne Tunnel now has two bores each carrying two lanes of traffic.
There is, however, no intention to revert to the original plan and
apply "A1" to the A19/Tyne Tunnel road system.