Old November 5th 12, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

Default Dartford crossing

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
On 05/11/2012 10:29, tim..... wrote:

well...

According to news out today, the system of collection will be "manual
post
payment"

It will be both 'pre payment' and 'post payment'; DART-Tag accounts would
continue;

Pre-payment DART-tag is also an out of date solution (not the tag itself,
but the requirement to always have credit available).

What's wrong with an automated post payment system?

It's how the CC now works.

And what wrong with everyone using the same flipping system!

Governments should be using technology to make things easier for us, not
harder.

It's bad enough that we have to pay for these things, I don't think that
it's right in the 21st century that we should have to go trawling through
pages of info to find out what it is that we have to do.

I know that this subject is going to be widely understood by posters to this
group, but what about people from further away, who use the crossing once a
year, or even less?

As an example, I've just come back from Portugal, and my 3 year old map
shows that Portugal has some toll motorways and some non-toll motorways.

Except than in the meantime the non-toll motorways have become not (non-toll
motorways), they are electronically tolled motorways with no information
available displayed as to what they are, except for this little symbol.

http://www.portugaltolls.pt/document...5-c6788c0c029f.

Fortunately, I correctly guessed what the symbol meant and realising that I
didn't have the means to pay [1] (and only wanting to use them for a short
distances) avoided them and went on the local roads (and/or the
pay-at-the-booth toll roads).

But I don't see why I should have had to have done so. I doesn't seem to me
that driving around using three year old information is unreasonable and
leaving me at risk of a fine for doing so just isn't fair, IMHO. It not
what governments are meant to do.

tim

[1] for those that are interested, the methods of payment are detailed here,
if you can understand it, which I'm struggling with (and not because it's in
Portuguese, because it isn't):

http://www.visitportugal.com/NR/exer...,frameless.htm

(And FWIW, I didn't enter into Portugal on one of these roads, but at a
pay-at-the-booth toll road, but I did want to exit using one of these roads.
Isn't it just a great idea that foreigner car owners can only register their
car for payment at entry points on these roads?)

Old November 5th 12, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On 05/11/2012 10:29, tim..... wrote:

well...

According to news out today, the system of collection will be "manual post
payment"

It will be both 'pre payment' and 'post payment'; DART-Tag accounts
would continue;

Pre-payment DART-tag is also an out of date solution (not the tag itself,
but the requirement to always have credit available).

What's wrong with an automated post payment system?

What makes you think they won't have one?

Old November 5th 12, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:42:16 on Mon, 5 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
Especially if they continue to make it free between 22:00 and 06:00. How
will someone know if they have snuck into the free period and thus don't
have to phone up to pay, or just missed it by a couple of seconds and
do?

They could send that hat round for an illuminated sign informing road
users of the situation.

There's still the possibility of the sign changing the instant that you
pass it.

What happens now if you turn up at the toll booth one second before the
deadline?

there *isn't* a barrier in your way

tim

Old November 5th 12, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On 05/11/2012 10:29, tim..... wrote:

well...

According to news out today, the system of collection will be "manual
post
payment"

It will be both 'pre payment' and 'post payment'; DART-Tag accounts
would continue;

Pre-payment DART-tag is also an out of date solution (not the tag itself,
but the requirement to always have credit available).

What's wrong with an automated post payment system?

What makes you think they won't have one?

The lack of reportage that there will be.

tim

Old November 5th 12, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at 14:30:49 on Mon, 5 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
What happens now if you turn up at the toll booth one second before
the deadline?

there *isn't* a barrier in your way

There's a traffic light.

Old November 5th 12, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On 05/11/2012 14:50, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:30:49 on Mon, 5 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
What happens now if you turn up at the toll booth one second before
the deadline?

there *isn't* a barrier in your way

There's a traffic light.

Is there a pulse of cars after the cutoff time, ie people driving
deliberately slowly to save the money?
Old November 5th 12, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:30:49 on Mon, 5 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
What happens now if you turn up at the toll booth one second before the
deadline?

there *isn't* a barrier in your way

There's a traffic light.

Which will be on green when there isn't a barrier in you way (and red when
there is)

tim

Old November 5th 12, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/11/2012 14:50, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:30:49 on Mon, 5 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
What happens now if you turn up at the toll booth one second before
the deadline?

there *isn't* a barrier in your way

There's a traffic light.

Is there a pulse of cars after the cutoff time, ie people driving
deliberately slowly to save the money?

I certainly drove slowly to make sure that I didn't arrive just before the
10 pm cut off time.

I never arrived close enough to see what happened 2 seconds before/after.

tim

Old November 5th 12, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at 15:55:09 on Mon, 5 Nov
2012, tim..... remarked:
What happens now if you turn up at the toll booth one second before
the deadline?

there *isn't* a barrier in your way

There's a traffic light.

Which will be on green when there isn't a barrier in you way (and red
when there is)

But you said there weren't any barriers...
Old November 5th 12, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

Roland Perry wrote in news:kekQFUmq
:

What happens now if you turn up at the toll booth one second before
the deadline?

there *isn't* a barrier in your way

There's a traffic light.

Which will be on green when there isn't a barrier in you way (and red
when there is)

But you said there weren't any barriers...

Have they changed that? Until recently, even after 10pm you had to stop,
or at least substantially slow down at the barrier and red light. The
barrier then rose without your having to put any money in.

It was a bit of a trap for the unwary, as the booths were in darkness and
it was easy to assume that you could just drive through at speed.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |