Old February 1st 04, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Adverse weather affecting tubes

"Dave Bisping" wrote in message
93.157...
Unfornatly they are the ones at the 'cutting edge', agreed they get abuse
but I'm sorry they themselves do no faviours with the way they treat
passengers

Does it not occur to you that there may not be time for an individual
"please" and "thank you" to everyone on the station?

It's such arrogant pillocks that get other people killed.

Old February 1st 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Cast_Iron wrote:
"Dave Bisping" wrote in message
93.157...
Unfornatly they are the ones at the 'cutting edge', agreed they get
abuse but I'm sorry they themselves do no faviours with the way they
treat passengers

Does it not occur to you that there may not be time for an individual
"please" and "thank you" to everyone on the station?

Did it not occur to you to read this part of Dave's post that you
conveniently snipped:
"sitting on a platform for 30mins with no infomation where the next train
was, and then being told in no uncertain terms to get off the station.
Personally I get more than a little Miffed at this."

Why don't you think there wasn't time for a proper explanation of the need
to close the station?

It's such arrogant pillocks that get other people killed.

How, exactly, in the context of this incident? (I agree with you that he's
ignorant, but that's because no-one bothered to tell him why the station
was closed.)
--
Richard J.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message ...
"Richard J." typed

I'd be surprised if there was any. There's none out here in Aylesbury.

LU say that there are no Met trains to Chesham or Watford and severe delays
to Amersham, also delays on the Piccadilly, all caused by "adverse
weather". Can't they cope with a normal winter's day, or are conditions
really bad?

They're really not too bad round here.

No, they can't cope with a normal winter's day.

Last year when London ground to a halt after a inch of snow I
thankfully was waiting for a train just as it started to snow.
Starting work at 7am isn't great but at least I was on my way home
just at London went over the edge of chaos due to a bit of snow.
What I find highly amusing is this year. The media went overboard with
warnings and doom stories about the snow and how the whole of UK was
set to collapse on itself. Loads of warning for snow that quite
frankly didn't arrive when it was due and when it did was just a bit
of a a light dusting. But still London Underground managed to collapse
on itself. I mean how can London Underground be taken seriously as a
transport provider when after loads of warnings about snow coming and
when a little bit did come it just keeled over and died on its arse.
Up here in Yorkshire where to be honest we didn't have much more snow
than London but it was more. All the main roads kept moving and
gritting meant no main roads the snow set. And the only accidents
because of snow was people in 4x4 vehicles who ignored the big red
signs saying "ROAD CLOSED" on dodgy roads and promptly crashed.
And of course in true L.U style LU has blamed everyone from the snow
to maitanince companies for the problems and of course it self was
blameless. But the question to ask is surely L.U. should ensure its
contractors and the people resonsible for keeping trains running in
the snow were ready for the snow and were caple of dealing with it.
Instead of LU moaning and whinging in the press about everyone else
screwing up maybe it should make sure that next year when it snows it
is sure the trains will still run.
Old February 2nd 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
Anon wrote: [top posting corrected]
"Dave Bisping" wrote in message
93.157...
Faringdon station closed tonight at around 6:30 due to 'safety'
reasons, it was hard to hear this over the speakers but it seems
this was because there was some snow on the end of the platforms,
trains were non- stopping,

Very rude station staff trying to get people,of the platforms
including threating to call the police to remove disgruntled
passengers and physically pushing people (who as usual were give no
proper explanation)

I can not comment about this particular experience but if a member of
staff asks you to leave the station then you should without fuss. Any
questions you have should be addressed when you are outside.

I don't think you're living in the real world. Consider this: I'm waiting
on Farringdon station for a Met train home after a hard day at work. It's
cold and snowing. I have a valid ticket which has opened the barrier to
let me get to the platform. Suddenly station staff tell me to leave the
station without a proper explanation. Are you seriously suggesting I
should meekly trudge along the platform, up the stairs and into the street
before questioning this?

If indeed it was "some snow on the end of the platform" that caused the
station to be closed, the travelling public deserves an explanation of why
it was too dangerous at Farringdon, but OK at virtually all suburban
above-ground platforms, which of course have far more of their platforms
uncovered than Farringdon.

So why not just let the people waiting on the platforms get on the
trains and not let anyone else into the station? One station closed.
No riot. But then that would have been to simple for L.U. And the
staff wouldn't been able to have the smug feeling of crapping on
someone from above.
Old February 2nd 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Lots of people are offering suggestions on how to evacuate a station. As
none of us know the real story in this situation it is pointless to continue
to comment.
Even if the staff were useless, rude and incompetent the station still
needed to be evacuated.

It is normal procedure to put people on a train if one is available. The
main aim is to clear the station as quickly as possible. To evacuate by
train a member of staff would advise the driver of the situation and then
both would manually open the doors to let people on. The member of station
staff would normally gather everyone together on the platform so they would
be put into one carriage.
As this can take time asking people to leave may be the quicker option. I
think you would find at stations like Highgate staff are more likely to
evacuate by train because of the lay out of the station.

One thing I do know is that everytime I evacuate a station I learn something
new. So lets hope the staff at Farringdon will do better next time.

Old February 4th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

One thing I do know is that everytime I evacuate a station I learn something
new. So lets hope the staff at Farringdon will do better next time.

Maybe instead of L.U. evacuating stations every 5 seconds they should
train their staff better to manage and control situations better.
Im sure with all the expertise and experince in the underground they
could come up with ways to deal with incidents in a controlled way
which instead of causing chaos by evacuating and closing a station can
deal with the incident.
Taking this example of the ice on Farrigdon platform. Have you ever
heard of rock salt?
Old February 4th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...

Taking this example of the ice on Farrigdon platform. Have you ever
heard of rock salt?

Part of the wonders of PPP is the fact that the infrastructure companies are
responsible for providing such things as rock-salt.

In general, it is far more sensible to carry out a controlled evacuation
when there is no immediate threat to injury and then re-open those parts of
the station unaffected once controls are introduced. However, controlled
evacuations require sufficent staff to carry this out, rather than mininum
numbers of staff.

Old February 5th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message . ..
"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...

Taking this example of the ice on Farrigdon platform. Have you ever
heard of rock salt?

Part of the wonders of PPP is the fact that the infrastructure companies are
responsible for providing such things as rock-salt.

Will if the PPP people couldn't do it Im sure using some initiative
and a bit of daring someone could have gone and brought some. Or
nicked some out of those big plastic bins the council puts by the side
of the road full of the stuff? (do you have that in London?)