Old June 28th 13, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 8.5% cut in central govt grant to TfL; suburban West Anglia trainsto be de

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:26:29 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,

(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

I'm surprised no-one commented on the Goblin electrification and WA
news in this and my previous piston the same topic.

[snip]

I am delighted we have got the go ahead - the extra capacity is
urgently needed. The only worry is that work will probably not start
until 2015/16 (a guess on my part btw).

This leaves the issues of no through platforms at Gospel Oak and the
platform length at South Tottenham - have there been any feasibility
studies on either of these?

Are they planning to run west of Gospel Oak anyway? I agree South Tottenham
could be a problem,. I presume the 378s do SDO?

I have seen nothing rumoured or hinted at about running beyond Gospel
Oak. The problem is train paths. TfL have said they are trying to get
unused but historic freight paths surrendered on the NLL but I doubt
they would want to have NLL paths released but only use from Gospel
Oak westwards. They'd want to use them from Stratford to take pressure
off on the heavily loaded eastern section as well as the western bit.

Now that the Olympics are out of the way, why is the eastern section still
packed? is it all down to Westfield?
Old June 28th 13, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Now that the Olympics are out of the way, why is the eastern section still
packed? is it all down to Westfield?

Stratford is a major interchange. I expect a fair portion of the
traffic heads to docklands via the Jubilee/DLR; but I'm sure that
TfL can see the flows via oyster.

--
Mike Bristow
Old June 28th 13, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:28:17 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:20:05 -0500, Recliner
wrote:

Now that the Olympics are out of the way, why is the eastern section still
packed? is it all down to Westfield?

Well there is still massive construction work going on at the Olympic
site so plenty of construction workers travelling.

Westfield is a draw but loads of people catch trains at Hackney
Central and Homerton. The hospital is one source of demand but there
is plenty of housing and Overground fares are only 20p more than the
bus for PAYG and for a longish distance that makes it cheap. Not that
many buses from Hackney to Stratford or Highbury for connections to
other tubes and trains without a fare penalty.

Stratford is now one of the busiest stations in London - Diamond
Geezer had the numbers on his blog the other day - so no surprise that
the connectivity offered there will pull people on to Overground
services. Whenever I've used Stratford there is a constant stream of
people to / from the Overground platforms.

Yes, same here, though I expected it to drop after the Games. It's
very different to the old Silverlink service from the low level (now
DLR) platforms.

Old June 28th 13, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message

Once they have a common fleet, it's at least a possibility, so worth
considering. Lots of passengers interchange at Gospel Oak, so they'd
presumably welcome through trains (particularly those heading west -- it's
a lot of stairs down and up).

Or use the recently-installed lifts.

Old June 28th 13, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stephen Furley" wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

Once they have a common fleet, it's at least a possibility, so worth
considering. Lots of passengers interchange at Gospel Oak, so they'd

presumably welcome through trains (particularly those heading west -- it's
a lot of stairs down and up).

Or use the recently-installed lifts.

Despite them, I've seen young mothers dragging push chairs down and up the
many stairs. I think able bodied people don't want to be seen using lifts
unless they have heavy luggage, etc.
Old June 29th 13, 06:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:13:14 on
Fri, 28 Jun 2013, Paul Corfield remarked:
Quite why a sign and "straight ahead" arrow has not been shown on the
sign which points you to the stairs I don't know.

Often this sort of situation (and not especially rail-related) is
because they don't actually want people to use the lifts (they'll wear
out faster, and people will complain if they break), the installation
being merely to tick a box on a form somewhere. A lot of cycling
"facilities" are in the same category.
Old June 29th 13, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
news
I have seen nothing rumoured or hinted at about running beyond Gospel
Oak. The problem is train paths. TfL have said they are trying to get
unused but historic freight paths surrendered on the NLL but I doubt
they would want to have NLL paths released but only use from Gospel
Oak westwards. They'd want to use them from Stratford to take pressure
off on the heavily loaded eastern section as well as the western bit.

If the curve towards Kentish Town and St. Pancras hadn't been obliterated
could any case have been made for a service via that route to somewhere on
the Southern. South to East travel in London often seems to be poorly
catered for. That curve could not now be re-instated.

The curve from South Tottenham towards Tottenham Hale could be re-instated I
think; at least the route was still unobstructed when I last looked, a
couple of years ago. Could there be any case for a service that way; maybe
Stanstead to somewhere if the airport is expanded?

It's not so long ago that a passenger service on the North London East of
Dalston didn't exist, but look at it now.

Old June 30th 13, 08:59 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Furley[_2_] View Post
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
news
I have seen nothing rumoured or hinted at about running beyond Gospel
Oak. The problem is train paths. TfL have said they are trying to get
unused but historic freight paths surrendered on the NLL but I doubt
they would want to have NLL paths released but only use from Gospel
Oak westwards. They'd want to use them from Stratford to take pressure
off on the heavily loaded eastern section as well as the western bit.

If the curve towards Kentish Town and St. Pancras hadn't been obliterated
could any case have been made for a service via that route to somewhere on
the Southern. South to East travel in London often seems to be poorly
catered for. That curve could not now be re-instated.
Which curve are you referring to? Scanning an old Ian Allen gazetteer, it
seems that once there were two leading off from between Upper Holloway and
Gospel Oak going towards Kentish Town. Are they both closed and
unrestorable?

Long, long ago I occasionally travelled from Leyton Midland to St. Pancras.
From Upper Holloway, we took the descending line which is still used by
freight trains. We came to a junction immediately prior to tunnels. One tunnel
lead to Kentish Town and St. Pancras and the other lead to the Midland Line
going towards Cricklewood.

I've often wondered if the route towards St. Pancras is still navigable. As, in
order to maximise utilisation of the Thames Link route, several improbable
services have been suggested, it seems to me that a Barking/Upper
Holloway/St Pancras International/South London service might not be a bad idea.