Old May 15th 15, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Longest and Shortest

On 15/05/2015 09:12, Roland Perry wrote:

I think that should only be counted if there are no other bus stops on
the route. The OP was asking for the distance between bus stops (the
street furniture) not the longest distance between buses stopping (the
timetable).

Otherwise we get involved in things like the Oxford Tube running
non-stop from Hillingdon to Shepherds Bush.

Oi - I said that yesterday in the first reply to this thread!

Old May 15th 15, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/05/2015 09:12, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 22:54:11 on Thu, 14
May 2015, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

But the between stops distances on the X26 (and other limited stop
services) are likely to win.

Kingston to New Malden ?

X26 Length 23.75 miles (38.22 km) so the average stage is 1.8 miles

I think that should only be counted if there are no other bus stops on
the route. The OP was asking for the distance between bus stops (the
street furniture) not the longest distance between buses stopping (the
timetable).

I don't think he was - there are oodles of of examples of bus stops next
to each other (i.e. distances under 10 metres) serving different routes.

FWIW, I'd interpret his question as what is the most distant of two bus
stops served on the same (non-limited stop route) route in the same
direction. One would also have to disregard any lengths between distant
bus stops that included hail-and-ride sections.

Old May 15th 15, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:16:11 on Fri, 15 May
2015, Mizter T remarked:
But the between stops distances on the X26 (and other limited stop
services) are likely to win.

Kingston to New Malden ?

X26 Length 23.75 miles (38.22 km) so the average stage is 1.8 miles

I think that should only be counted if there are no other bus stops on
the route. The OP was asking for the distance between bus stops (the
street furniture) not the longest distance between buses stopping (the
timetable).

I don't think he was - there are oodles of of examples of bus stops
next to each other (i.e. distances under 10 metres) serving different
routes.

FWIW, I'd interpret his question as what is the most distant of two bus
stops served on the same (non-limited stop route) route in the same
direction.

Agreed, it seemed pretty obvious that "on the same bus route" was one of
the criteria.

Where I lived for a while in Nottingham the bus stops in the suburbs
were as little as 100m apart. eg southbound he

https://goo.gl/maps/JII2E

Old May 15th 15, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
Where I lived for a while in Nottingham the bus stops in the suburbs
were as little as 100m apart. eg southbound he

https://goo.gl/maps/JII2E

"It's déjà vu all over again"[1]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.transport.london/between$20bus$20stops/uk.transport.london/8o0qIuR4XdI/2DULSKf0tx4J

[1] copyright Yogi Berra
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old May 15th 15, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:54:07 on Fri, 15 May
2015, Robin remarked:

Where I lived for a while in Nottingham the bus stops in the suburbs
were as little as 100m apart. eg southbound he

https://goo.gl/maps/JII2E

"It's déjà vu all over again"[1]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.transport.london/between$20bus$20stops/uk.transport.london/8o0qIuR4XdI/2DULSKf0tx4J

[1] copyright Yogi Berra

Interesting that the thread mentions consecutive bus stops either side
of a dual carriageway. I experienced these two, 20m apart, last year:

https://goo.gl/maps/OQbYI

.... running for a bus on the NW side of the road, then thought "hang on,
if I wait for it to go up to the roundabout and back, I've got plenty of
time."

Old May 15th 15, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
Interesting that the thread mentions consecutive bus stops either side
of a dual carriageway. I experienced these two, 20m apart, last year:

https://goo.gl/maps/OQbYI

... running for a bus on the NW side of the road, then thought "hang
on, if I wait for it to go up to the roundabout and back, I've got
plenty of time."

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

So another question for the rules of the "closest bus stops" record is
whether the distance is measured "as the bus drives" or "as the
passenger runs/walks/crawls"?

And I feel so nerdish after even thinking of that question that I'm off
for a very large drink

Old May 15th 15, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 15 May 2015 18:39:31 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

I think that that is a definite winner.
A Gold Award for you. Thanks!
Old May 15th 15, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/05/2015 19:08, Offramp wrote:

On Friday, 15 May 2015 18:39:31 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

I think that that is a definite winner.
A Gold Award for you. Thanks!

Half an answer - the shortest. There's also the longest...
Old May 15th 15, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\05\15 22:47, Mizter T wrote:

On 15/05/2015 19:08, Offramp wrote:

On Friday, 15 May 2015 18:39:31 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

I think that that is a definite winner.
A Gold Award for you. Thanks!

Half an answer - the shortest. There's also the longest...

I can't be bothered to measure them, but can I suggest

Lea Valley Road in Ponders End

Blackwall Tunnel

Pinkham Way / North Circular Road

M4 Spur to Heathrow

Barnet Way in Mill Hill / Borehamwood
Old May 16th 15, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:00:59 on
Sat, 16 May 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:
I suspect the distance between the Walthamstow
Central Station stop and the next stop in the Bus Station is shorter.
Now these may well be set down stops but so what - they're still
stops. It's only a tiny distance further to Stop E (boarding and
alighting). There may be other bus stations where similar distances
apply.

Perhaps we need a supplementary rule that one should be able to get on
at the first stop, and off at the second - thus making it the shortest
trip between bus stops.

The problem with longest distance is it can vary by route - you get
long gaps between stops on the X26 and X68 (how far is it between West
Norwood and Waterloo?).

There are bus stops en-route, but limited stop buses don't use them.
Your interpretation here is "the longest ride on a bus after you've got
on, before having an opportunity to get off".