Old May 25th 15, 07:59 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2015 11:56:50 +0100, Basil Jet

wrote:

On 2015\05\24 11:25, Paul Corfield wrote:

The other
"Transit" schemes were downgraded from tram or trolleybus operation to
bus schemes and even there only a half arsed scheme at Barking Reach
has been built with some fancy paving and branded bus shelters. It's
still just a double deck operated bus service.

This is the only infrastructure I've found...

I don't think half-arsed sums that up. It's definitely total-arsed.

Is the problem with trams that the tracks are bad for cyclists? I can't
see why trams need grooves or flanges in this day and age. A pair of
flat metal rails set in the tarmac with sensors which steer the wheels
onto the rails would reduce squealing, be safer for cyclists and would
allow points to have no moving parts. They would also be impossible to
derail.

Given that the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland are
perfectly capable of having cycle, tram and trolleybus infrastructure
working alongside each other with little difficulty I don't think
that's an issue. Of course the UK has little experience of such
infrastructure and parallel modal working that we will imagine all
sorts of risk, crises, accidents etc which is really a load of old
********. We decided that we didn't want to do that "continental
rubbish" after the 1950s and 60s so we've wasted nigh on half a
century wedding ourselves to the car when we could have achieved a
better mix of modes.

A further UK-only hazard is the 1870 Tramways Act which still makes tramway
operators responsible for maintaining the highway around the tracks at their
expense, in effect subsidising their opposition.

London is now struggling to install cycle infrastructure that is
adequate and appropriate because we don't have the relevant expertise
and the plans have been criticised by everyone - cycle lobbyists,
business, taxi drivers etc. What is being built now will inevitably
be a compromise and unlikely to satisfy anyone.

Of course the Embankment cycleway could have been a tramway reserved track
as well.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
We already have a "reserved track" transport service along that corridor. It's

I am, of course, aware that most "regulars" in this forum have no regard for
cars or motorists, but I must point out that the changes to the Embankment
route since TfL was first set up have substantially increased congestion and
air pollution in London. I believe public transport enthusiasts affect a concern
for the environment?
Old May 25th 15, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New 'London Connections' map with added LO and new family member,

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2015 21:30:49 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\05\24 20:11, Paul Corfield wrote:

Yes the aforementioned Lea Valley service that runs from Stratford
daily.

... which presumably includes the proposed STAR services, although it
seems odd that new services entirely in London should be run by anyone
but London Overground.

Honest answer is "don't know". Nothing I have read has ever set out a
view as to who the train operator would be. The logical thing to
assume is that AGA would run the service given they already run
everything on the line via T Hale. However I suspect logic will not
figure in the minds of local politicians who will undoubtedly be
shouting at whoever is Mayor that it should be a TfL Overground
service because AGA are useless / not be trusted / hopeless /
expensive / unreliable etc etc. I can already imagine the wording of
Mayor's Questions from Joanne McCartney on this subject. She clearly
wants AGA out of the picture as fast as possible and will also be
keeping the pressure on TfL over Overground progress after 31.5.15.
She even asked the Mayor about a "tree no one accepts responsibility
for" at Bruce Grove which is apparently growing through the station
buildings! I suspect she will be there on 31.5.15 to see if LOROL are
chopping it down.

Clearly STAR will be a separate local stopping service that will share
tracks from north of Lea Bridge and in to Stratford. I note in recent
papers I read that Network Rail want to construct more platforms at
Stratford as part of STAR so they have capacity to cope with expansion
as early as possible rather than having to keep coming back to do ever
more expensive alterations. For once that seems the sensible thing to
do.

Looking closer at the timetable, there is nothing in Table 21 that uses the
Lea Valley line meaning that all its services go beyond the Oyster zonal
limit at Broxbourne. So, unless Hertford East is added to TfL's empire,
something that I suspect will not be welcome there, things will stay as they
are after 31st May.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 25th 15, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
17:52:45 on Sun, 24 May 2015,
remarked:
In article ,

(Roland Perry) wrote:

In message , at
13:29:43 on Sun, 24 May 2015,
remarked:
Stratford to Bishops Stortford serves six stations in Greater
London, and five beyond.

Via the Lea Valley route which we have already identified as the
only remaining AGA route in Greater London. Do keep up!

Although that was probably in the context of Liverpool St services.

AGA will still have London services other than from Liverpool St from
31st May?

Yes. Stratford to Bishops Stortford.

That is no more a London service than Liverpool St to Hertford East or
Bishop's Stortford and beyond with similar proportions of stations inside
and outside the zones. Although there are 6 stations within the zones
between Stratford and Bishop's Stortford,

To which it is providing a service. It's not compulsory to end your
journey at Harlow or Bishops Startford.

they aren't all in Greater London. that only covers zones 1-6.

I'm taking my definition of "London" as what's shown on TfL's map of
"London rail and tube services" (see the thread title).

Zones beyond 6 are only there to allow Oyster to work outside Greater
London. Are you asking for Oyster zones all the way to Bishop's Stortford?

--
Colin Rosenstiel