Old February 27th 17, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
wrote on 25 Feb 2017 at 02:29 ...
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
purchases within 30 minutes, and without having to nominate a
particular station. It will also be possible to pick up purchases on
buses.

TfL are also planning to introduce an Oyster app to complement this
improvement.

Details are at:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttach/3/Issue%
2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent
out-of-London users like me. I got caught out by the evening
deadline too once, topping up for a planned journey the next day.
Living in Cambridge I can't even be sure where I'll start an Oyster
journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some
value in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest
would you lose by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the
utter pain?

what pain is that

going up to a machine and adding 5 pounds at the time that is
convenient

You're not familiar with the queues at machines at some stations? The only
times that are convenient are the times when one is passing through the
station.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 27th 17, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 21:37:12 on Sat, 25
Feb 2017, Richard J. remarked:

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some value
in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest would you lose
by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the utter pain?

I top up my Oyster manually when it gets to about £2. The only use I
have for it is two Z1 singles. The issue with pre-paid one-function
cards is that you can easily end up with a lot of them. A provincial
bus card being one example.

It's like those coffee-shop cardboard loyalty cards - when I buy a
coffee there's rarely a choice of vendor, so I'd need to be carrying
around half a dozen cards all the time.

My usage is so irregular I just add £5 usually, occasionally just a bit of
small change, to cover my immediate needs. My most recent usage days were a
long series between 29th October and 1st December (11 days in all which some
of you might guess the reason for), before that 15th September, 2nd August
and 23rd April. Before that the last use was in 2015. Looking at the history
I am reminded of another reason I'm glad that the crediting system has
improved. I had a refund in 2015 due to the Heathrow T5 gates not
communicating properly (my wife had a similar problem there in the other
direction on the same trip) and arranging to pick it up was a right hassle.
Nowadays they can just credit your bank account.

I see I also got some odd messages and history records at North Sheen where
the ticket machines are inside the ticket barriers and I topped up between
entry and exit, something Oyster isn't really designed to do.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 27th 17, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:59:24 +0000
Guy Gorton wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:16:49 +0000, Neil Williams
It's basically making cards more of an effective replacement for cash,
and I encourage that, as cash is a faff (and encourages the black
market etc).

Neil

Cash is so simple and fast. Perhaps not as fast as contactless but I
will not use contactless for lots of reasons. I have two such cards
and hope, when they are replaced to get new cards without that
dangerous and vulnerable feature.

Contactless is easy to disable. Just cut horizontally for about 1.5cm inwards
from the right hand side of the card. I've done it to all of mine so they'll
be of little use if nicked plus it has the added bonus of me not having to
drag my oyster card out of my wallet at every tube gate because of card clash.

--
Spud

Old February 27th 17, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 12:59:28 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message
Oh sure. All you have to do is get a crime number from plod

Oh no you don't

I imagine it depends on the bank. Using someone elses card without permission
is fraud and the police probably would want it reported anyway though perhaps
some banks wouldn't.

--
Spud

Old February 27th 17, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jarle Hammen Knudsen" wrote

What's changing in 2018?

Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a way
deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Why are they spending money on a fast pickup feature when the need for

one will be gone in a year's time?

My understanding is that current Oyster cards will be dealt with as now,
newly issued Oyster cards will be contactless style.

--
Mike D

Old February 28th 17, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 23:21:38 -0000
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
"Jarle Hammen Knudsen" wrote

What's changing in 2018?
Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a way
deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Why are they spending money on a fast pickup feature when the need for

one will be gone in a year's time?

My understanding is that current Oyster cards will be dealt with as now,
newly issued Oyster cards will be contactless style.

Err, Oyster have been contactless since they were introduced.

--
Spud