Old February 25th 17, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 13:01:52 on Sat, 25 Feb
2017, tim... remarked:

the auto-top-up that works for me is
5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

yes

that's the point!

How can a £5 auto-topup work for you when it doesn't exist?

Old February 25th 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:01:52 on Sat, 25 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

the auto-top-up that works for me is
5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

yes

that's the point!

How can a £5 auto-topup work for you when it doesn't exist?

there's nothing in my post that says it exists

tim

Old February 25th 17, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 12:47:25 +0000
On 2017-02-25 12:14:53 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

For anyone with a contactless card it's kind of losing its role anyway.
I cashed all my Oysters in and now just use contactless.

Gotta love contactless. Chip and pin arrives - there being a damn good reason
for the PIN - then the banks decide they'll get more transactions if they
remove the PIN and pretend its not really needed after all. So why do I
need one if I put the card in the slot but not if I use contactless? What
exactly is the qualitative difference? Answer: there isn't one. But the
banks have convinced suckers theres no security risk with contactless. Ah
well, you can't educate pork. Must be a field day for card thieves.

--
Spud

Old February 25th 17, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:16:49 +0000
On 2017-02-25 18:59:08 +0000, d said:

Gotta love contactless. Chip and pin arrives - there being a damn good reason
for the PIN - then the banks decide they'll get more transactions if they
remove the PIN and pretend its not really needed after all. So why do I
need one if I put the card in the slot but not if I use contactless? What
exactly is the qualitative difference? Answer: there isn't one.

There's a *quantitative* difference, namely the £30 cap, and the fact
that if you do more than N transactions in a row the PIN will be called
for.

For various values of N.

Yes, thieves could nick a wallet and go around spending about 5 x £30
(£150) with it before they had issues. But that's not going to, er,
break the bank. And if it did happen, the end customer is not liable.

Oh sure. All you have to do is get a crime number from plod then sit on an
0845 number going through half a dozen menus to eventually get through to
some gimp from india who you need to convince that you're not trying to
commit fraud. And then you might get your money back next week. Great so
long as you don't need it in the meantime.

It's basically making cards more of an effective replacement for cash,
and I encourage that, as cash is a faff (and encourages the black
market etc).

In what universe is cash a faff??

--
Spud

Old February 25th 17, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25/02/2017 19:39, wrote:

That's fine until you get a railcard. Then the only way to get the railcard
discount is to use Oyster, until 2018 at least.

What's changing in 2018?

--
Clive Page
Old February 25th 17, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on 25 Feb 2017 at 02:29 ...
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
purchases within 30 minutes, and without having to nominate a
particular station. It will also be possible to pick up purchases on
buses.

TfL are also planning to introduce an Oyster app to complement this
improvement.

Details are at:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttach/3/Issue%
2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent out-of-London
users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline too once,
topping up for a planned journey the next day. Living in Cambridge I
can't even be sure where I'll start an Oyster journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some value
in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest would you lose
by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the utter pain?

--
Richard J.
Old February 26th 17, 12:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 25 Feb 2017 at 02:29 ...
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...60/attach/3/Is

sue%2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent
out-of-London users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline
too once, topping up for a planned journey the next day. Living in
Cambridge I can't even be sure where I'll start an Oyster journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some
value in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest would
you lose by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the utter pain?

They rules are not that difficult to work around, especially now I go to
King's Cross so much less. I used to have to ensure I kept a balance big
enough to get through the gates there to avoid the hideous queues at the
ticket machines. It's just easier to top up from the comfort of my home
though.

More often than not I have my bike with me and don't use the tube.

--
Colin Rosenstiel