Old March 1st 17, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at
01:40:04 on Wed, 1 Mar 2017, Matthew Dickinson
remarked:

One change will be that PAYG balances will no longer be displayed at the gateline or bus reader
(although low balance warnings might be pushed to gatelines and bus readers) which is one reason
why TfL want their own app up and running.

That's verging on the unacceptable. But conforms with my general theory
that new technology almost always introduces obstacles/drawbacks of its
very own, that were not in the previous revision.

My own classic Oyster occasionally flashes up a message about "your card
is about to expire", or something similar (if they want people to read
it they should display it longer). But it isn't, and the next gateline
won't repeat it. Mystery glitch perhaps.

Old March 1st 17, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:22:55 on Wed, 1 Mar
2017, Neil Williams remarked:

So they're removing an extremely useful piece of functionality? Seriously?
Doesn't surprise me given the ticket office closures. TfL seems to be
increasingly running things for the convenience of itself rather than the
passenger.

There will be advantages - weekly capping for one, not having to "pick
up" travel products another.

OK, so now we *have* found some features where the new Oyster card's
operation is different from the passenger's perception. I'm getting a
headache.
Old March 1st 17, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 10:33:01 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
My own classic Oyster occasionally flashes up a message about "your card
is about to expire", or something similar (if they want people to read
it they should display it longer). But it isn't, and the next gateline
won't repeat it. Mystery glitch perhaps.

That appears to be a bug with some of the gate software. The FOI obtained
copy of Ticketing & Revenue Update that started this thread has a Q&A
about it on page 13.

Old March 1st 17, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-03-01 10:35:17 +0000, d said:

Not sure what you're referring to with travel products.

Prepurchased time-based tickets bought online, like period Travelcards.
Though I suppose if you added a monthly cap you could do away with
them.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old March 1st 17, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/03/2017 09:21, Roland Perry wrote:

If you want to discuss "early adopters of social media" instead,
then my view is that Facebook moved out of the early adopter phase
in 2009. I joined Facebook in June 2007.

When I was a student, c.1999 someone I vaguely knew set up a website
where people could upload newfangled digital photos relatively easily,
label their mates in them and generally cyberstalk people. If only I'd
given him a few quid to develop the idea further and introduce it to a
wider public...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK