Old July 4th 18, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Electric black cabs

In message , at 17:26:50 on
Wed, 4 Jul 2018, David Walters remarked:

The majority of homes (in England) have a garage (40%)

Of which perhaps a half are too narrow to accommodate a car with
side-impact doors, and most of the rest are used as a shed.

Old July 5th 18, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 17:29:47 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:37:52 on Wed, 4 Jul
2018, John Williamson remarked:

You appear to made a significant lifestyle choice in the
characteristics of your residence.

Such as not earning enough, you mean?

In Central London, unless you have a million or more to spare, all you
get is a flat or terraced house, and while there may be a car park
under the block, installing a charger in "your" parking slot is likely
to be forbidden.

Of course, housing is cheaper in Birmingham or Manchester, but then
again, wages are much lower, so most of us will have the same problem
there.

There's plenty of places in between, where people have made the
lifestyle choice of a reasonable house, plus perhaps a 1hr each way
commute to London.

Or at least thats what they thought. Then they started using Thameslink.

Old July 5th 18, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 18:23:08 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:26:50 on
Wed, 4 Jul 2018, David Walters remarked:

The majority of homes (in England) have a garage (40%)

Of which perhaps a half are too narrow to accommodate a car with
side-impact doors, and most of the rest are used as a shed.

There is often hard standing in front of the garage so even if the car
isn't under cover it is off the street and can be charged.
Old July 5th 18, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:26:13 on
Thu, 5 Jul 2018, David Walters remarked:

The majority of homes (in England) have a garage (40%)

Of which perhaps a half are too narrow to accommodate a car with
side-impact doors, and most of the rest are used as a shed.

There is often hard standing in front of the garage so even if the car
isn't under cover it is off the street and can be charged.

That depends when the house was constructed. There was a trend perhaps
10-15 years ago for planners to restrict the hard-standing to less than
a car-length (generally by having really short front 'gardens') in order
to dissuade people from multiple car ownership. And didn't that work out
well?
Old July 5th 18, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 11:49:27 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:26:13 on
Thu, 5 Jul 2018, David Walters remarked:

The majority of homes (in England) have a garage (40%)

Of which perhaps a half are too narrow to accommodate a car with
side-impact doors, and most of the rest are used as a shed.

There is often hard standing in front of the garage so even if the car
isn't under cover it is off the street and can be charged.

That depends when the house was constructed. There was a trend perhaps
10-15 years ago for planners to restrict the hard-standing to less than
a car-length (generally by having really short front 'gardens')

There are also semi-detached houses that share a drive with the unattached
next door, have garages behind the house and the gap between the houses is
too narrow and lots of other examples which will be awkward or impossible
for an EV charger to be be usable but it's probably still possible to
install an EV charger at the majority of homes.

Old July 5th 18, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:49:54 on
[...]

In fact "installing chargers" isn't the main problem. It's
upgrading the local electricity supply infrastructure to be able to cope
with the extra load (even assuming central generating has the capacity).
Old July 5th 18, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 13:38:09 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In fact "installing chargers" isn't the main problem.

boltar stated "the majority of people in this country ... don't have a
driveway" which is what I was questioning.

It's
upgrading the local electricity supply infrastructure to be able to cope
with the extra load (even assuming central generating has the capacity).

I don't really know about that. I've seen some people claim smart chargers
which know how busy the local grid is will save the day. If I had an
EV I'd plug it in almost every time I parked at home but it wouldn't need
anything like a full charge most of the time.
Old July 5th 18, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:35:10 on
Thu, 5 Jul 2018, David Walters remarked:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 13:38:09 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In fact "installing chargers" isn't the main problem.

boltar stated "the majority of people in this country ... don't have a
driveway" which is what I was questioning.

Neither garages nor "other off street parking" equate to "driveways".
Houses (and increasing so in new developments) have garages in blocks
some distance away. Again, often due to planning fashion, trying to hide
them away from view. Or older properties with garages at the end of
their garden reached by a narrow lane down the backs of the houses.

A bit of everything here https://goo.gl/maps/Wnf3zaaVXW82 including
houses with no front drives on the road, a block of garages at the end,
and round the corner to the right a row of maisonettes towards the lake,
with only pedestrian access.

It's upgrading the local electricity supply infrastructure to be
able to cope with the extra load (even assuming central generating
has the capacity).

I don't really know about that. I've seen some people claim smart chargers
which know how busy the local grid is will save the day. If I had an
EV I'd plug it in almost every time I parked at home but it wouldn't need
anything like a full charge most of the time.

The National Grid has done extensive studies of this and has concluded
there are many homes which have little prospect of supporting EV
charging in the foreseeable future because the local supply is only
sized at about 2kW per property (and most of that will be used up by
existing consumption patterns).

They have predicted that overall generating and supply capacity would be
saturated at about 20% EV penetration, and that's if they spend the next
decade putting some remediation measures in place. And if every possible
smart/off-peak etc tuning is done.
Old July 5th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/07/2018 14:35, David Walters wrote:

I don't really know about that. I've seen some people claim smart chargers
which know how busy the local grid is will save the day. If I had an
EV I'd plug it in almost every time I parked at home but it wouldn't need
anything like a full charge most of the time.

Although if the Powers That Be have their way, if it had charge in it
when you plugged it in, it would be used as reserve grid capacity for
any peaks, and so would need something approaching a full recharge
before you disconnected it. Sort of a mobile version of the Tesla Power
Wall.

Admittedly, this charge could be done off peak, but it could be a pain
if you need the car late at night before it had time to refill itself.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old July 5th 18, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 15:06:50 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:35:10 on
Thu, 5 Jul 2018, David Walters remarked:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 13:38:09 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In fact "installing chargers" isn't the main problem.

boltar stated "the majority of people in this country ... don't have a
driveway" which is what I was questioning.

Neither garages nor "other off street parking" equate to "driveways".
Houses (and increasing so in new developments) have garages in blocks
some distance away. Again, often due to planning fashion, trying to hide
them away from view. Or older properties with garages at the end of
their garden reached by a narrow lane down the backs of the houses.

I think we should agree to disagree on how difficult this will be. I
know people who have installed EV chargers in places that weren't next to
their home and it was complicated but achievable and they were the first
to do it. I think it will get easier, there will be local installers to
take away the hassle etc.

[...]

I can't find that study, do you have a link to it? I found
https://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/arti...ams-future-evs
which is more than a little vague.