Old June 16th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Roland Perry typed

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
So now you can laugh at the £20 note I keep neatly folded & hidden
behind my Oyster Card...

£20 is fine. My taxi was closer to £100.

In which case I would have done as you did and asked the cabbie to stop
at a cashpoint. I would also have enquied as to whether some sort of
plastic was acceptable payment.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old June 16th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london
Al Al is offline

Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 at 23:41:12, Al wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Al
writes
You are willing to spend not a penny of your cash ameliorating that risk
-- nor will apparently spend a moment of your time planning against the
day one of those risks hit.

Indeed, I'm acting just like any UK resident does when he runs out of
cash: I go and look for an ATM.

I'm afraid, Mr Perry, that you are projecting again. I venture that most
people that run out of cash look in their wallet before going to the ATM,
but perhaps you have evidence otherwise?

Well, duh! Obviously - as where else do you keep your cash???? And
when you have looked in your wallet and found that you have no cash,
what do you do? You go to the nearest ATM, of course!

No, Annabel, *you* go to the nearest ATM; I use the twenty quid behind my
biz cards set aside precisely for that purpose. That way I continue to
enjoy my friends' company at the pub, while you are searching the high
street for a bank leaving others wondering why you always disappear just
before your round.

If dodging your round and looking for banks is how you wish to spend your
life, fine. Just don't imagine that's how the rest of us wish to spend
ours.

Of all the foolish statements you have made on this thread, I think that
one is the most foolish.

This from a woman who believes in taking international flights without
carrying a penny in cash!
--
Al
Old June 16th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
In which case I would have done as you did and asked the cabbie to stop
at a cashpoint.

I did, but it was irritating, and the first one we found (at a motorway
services on the M25) charged me two quid for using it. By that stage the
jetlag and general frustration meant I didn't have the energy to go find
an eighth. (The first five were at Gatwick, the sixth was the free one
at the same services - also non-operational).
Old June 17th 04, 07:29 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

"Al" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Al
writes
Then this is even worse for Mr Perry! There is absolutely no financial
cost whatsoever to taking the pounds he may need on the way back with

him
at the time he flies out, much less have to convert foreign money to GBP
when he comes to fly back.

I'm out of the USA for months at a time.

As was I. You'll find that currency from some months back is still usable.

Not always... I turn my back for two years and what did the buggers do? Went
and changed the fifty pee piece didn't they just!
And me with about two hundred quids worth of 'em too :-)
--
ZK - juggling my eyeballs from one eye-socket to the other

Old June 19th 04, 12:34 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Al wrote the following in:

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Al
writes
You are willing to spend not a penny of your cash ameliorating
that risk -- nor will apparently spend a moment of your time
planning against the day one of those risks hit.

Indeed, I'm acting just like any UK resident does when he runs
out of cash: I go and look for an ATM.

I'm afraid, Mr Perry, that you are projecting again. I venture
that most people that run out of cash look in their wallet before
going to the ATM, but perhaps you have evidence otherwise?

Err. Surely if someone had run out of cash then by definition they
wouldn't have any in their wallet.

--
message by Robin May-Silk and his close friend, Robert Kilroy-Kotton
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Spelling lesson: buses only has ONE s.

Old June 19th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote the following in:
y.com

The reason I post my small grumbles is because it's not often that
we hear about the UK through a tourist's eyes (we just get
questions ahead of the trips, and one answer often given is to get
cash from ATMs). A friend travelled to the UK many years ago, and
had taken the precaution of getting pounds from his bank in the
USA. Unfortunately these were green paper pounds, and it was a
year after they'd been phased out here!

My girlfriend's cousin visited from America last year and I was pretty
surprised to find on the day he arrived and I tried to use his money to
buy a tube ticket for him that he'd been issued an old style £20 note.
Are banks and bureau de changes allowed to do this? And do they do it
in the UK as well as in America?

Old June 19th 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin May
writes

My girlfriend's cousin visited from America last year and I was pretty
surprised to find on the day he arrived and I tried to use his money to
buy a tube ticket for him that he'd been issued an old style £20 note.
Are banks and bureau de changes allowed to do this? And do they do it
in the UK as well as in America?

If you mean the notes with the picture of Michael Faraday (rather than
Elgar) they ceased to be legal tender on 28 Feb 2001 and so certainly
should not have been issued to anyone in 2003.

--
Paul Terry
Old June 19th 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote the following in:

In message , Robin
May writes

My girlfriend's cousin visited from America last year and I was
pretty surprised to find on the day he arrived and I tried to use
his money to buy a tube ticket for him that he'd been issued an
old style £20 note. Are banks and bureau de changes allowed to do
this? And do they do it in the UK as well as in America?

If you mean the notes with the picture of Michael Faraday (rather
than Elgar) they ceased to be legal tender on 28 Feb 2001 and so
certainly should not have been issued to anyone in 2003.

I can't really remember much about what the note looked like, just that
it was the kind that is no longer legal tender and came before the
current type. So it probably was the one you were describing. As it
happens, it was very late 2003, so he was issued with this note nearly
three years after it had gone out of date.

People may be interested to note (pun intended) that it was accepted by
a tube ticket machine.

Old June 19th 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

In message , Robin May
writes
Surely if someone had run out of cash then by definition they
wouldn't have any in their wallet.

What Al is suggesting is that people should have a "buffered wallet", so
that when they use up the "last" of their cash, then there's a note
hidden somewhere for emergencies. I can operate such a scheme (don't use
the last £20 note unless it's an emergency) without having to hide it
away. But it still means I have only £20 on me at times, and therefore
require an ATM when making a large cash purchase.
Old June 20th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , k
writes

Hmm, I tried all five that I'm aware of at the north Terminal.

I think there are a few more than 5!

Perhaps you can suggest where they are. I've always thought there ought
to be at least one near the Pay machines for the car park, but I've only
ever found the two groups I described earlier.

there's outlets where you can get cashback, there's travel from the
airport you can pay for with credit or debit cards,

But not taxis you've booked in advance.

but there are other places?

Places for what?

You do seem to have a *lot* of trouble traveling around in this
country reading through your posts in UTL. Do you go out of your way
to find problems?

I'm a public transport supporter, but I also think it should deliver a
quality product, otherwise people will revert to private cars. When I
see obvious failings, I make a note.

(Latest problems: a lack of lifts at either Ealing Broadway or Acton
Town - getting to Heathrow by tube with heavy bags is a real hassle).