Old August 12th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

Default Passport to Pimlico - 2004 version?

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:27:53 +0200, Tim Challenger wrote:

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:42:29 -0600, Hatunen wrote:

Finn, Estonian and Hungaian don't sound a bit "European"

Well they do. Just define than as sounding like a language that's spoken in
Europe.
Actually, when spoken in a group I think Finnish sounds like Italian, but
without and words that I can recognise.

What, every word ends in a vowel?

Old August 12th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:31:16 +0100, Paul Weaver wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:27:53 +0200, Tim Challenger wrote:

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:42:29 -0600, Hatunen wrote:

Finn, Estonian and Hungaian don't sound a bit "European"

Well they do. Just define than as sounding like a language that's spoken in
Europe.
Actually, when spoken in a group I think Finnish sounds like Italian, but
without and words that I can recognise.

What, every word ends in a vowel?

Yes

I'm being serious though. I often have mistaken a group of Finns in a
restaurant for (quiet) Italians, until I could really hear the actual
words.

--
Tim C.
Old August 23rd 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

Annabel Smyth wrote the following in:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 at 11:35:34, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:50:08 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Is it me, or is there a major flaw in this: most people with a
right to British residence *won't carry* any such papers?

Passport? EU citizens still have to carry a passport with them at
all times (or a photocopy, at least) don't they? The same applies
for other foreigners. They should have some form of ID.

EU citizens usually have an ID card, so don't need their
passports.

My girlfriend (who is American) doesn't carry a passport or any
immigration papers. She does carry her American driving (or drivers as
they say) licence, which is a form of identification. But I don't see
why some form of ID is any use. All it does is prove that you are from
some other country, which is the reason they stopped you in the first
place. It doesn't show you're in the country legally.

--
message by the incredible Robin May.
"The British don't like successful people" - said by British failures

Who is Abi Titmuss? What is she? Why is she famous?
http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old August 23rd 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:50:08 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Is it me, or is there a major flaw in this: most people with a
right to British residence *won't carry* any such papers?

Passport? EU citizens still have to carry a passport with them at
all times (or a photocopy, at least) don't they? The same applies
for other foreigners. They should have some form of ID.

EU citizens usually have an ID card, so don't need their
passports.

My girlfriend (who is American) doesn't carry a passport or any
immigration papers. She does carry her American driving (or drivers as
they say) licence, which is a form of identification. But I don't see
why some form of ID is any use. All it does is prove that you are from
some other country, which is the reason they stopped you in the first
place. It doesn't show you're in the country legally.

It shows who you are, so they can then check up on you.
--
Tim C.
Old August 23rd 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

In message , at 10:59:15 on
Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Robin May remarked:
But I don't see
why some form of ID is any use. All it does is prove that you are from
some other country, which is the reason they stopped you in the first
place. It doesn't show you're in the country legally.

Except that the Home Office Immigration department has a list of people
who are in the country legally, so if you can reliably establish
someone's name, you can check it against that list.
Old August 24th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

In article , Roland
Perry writes
Except that the Home Office Immigration department has a list of people
who are in the country legally, so if you can reliably establish
someone's name, you can check it against that list.

I don't recall any scanning of EU passports at Waterloo last time I came
that way, and I don't think either Paris or Brussels did so either. And
I'm sure there was no scanning last time I used a ferry.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old August 25th 04, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,rec.travel.europe

In message , at 20:39:06 on Tue, 24
Aug 2004, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
Except that the Home Office Immigration department has a list of
people who are in the country legally, so if you can reliably
establish someone's name, you can check it against that list.

I don't recall any scanning of EU passports at Waterloo last time I
came that way, and I don't think either Paris or Brussels did so
either. And I'm sure there was no scanning last time I used a ferry.

Very interesting, but in what way is that relevant to Americans being
legally entitled to live in the UK?