Old August 20th 04, 02:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Many Birds with One Stone

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:05:25 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote (more or less):

Gawnsoft typed

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:08:20 +0100, "PeterE"
wrote (more or less):

Lance Lamboy wrote:

Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for
delivery. Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they
put a slip on the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go
home without your groceries. The supermarket delivers your
groceries. There is a small fee for the service which you pay at the
checkout counter.

Assuming you have physically visited the store, in what way is that more
convenient than taking the stuff home with you?

I can get 100 kilograms delivered. That's awkward and painful to
carry!

Can you really eat 100kg of groceries? My, these cyclists do have big
appetites! ;-)

Sometimes I have to spread it over two courses...

--
Cheers,
Euan

Old August 20th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Paul Weaver wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:20:39 -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Groceries would be tougher, since many of them need to be put in the
refrigerator or freezer upon arrival; I doubt my landlord would go that

far.
Unfortunately there's no delivery service in my area, so I drive the 3
blocks to the store every other week.

You'd have to go to the store every day or two if you were carrying food
back.

Some of us cope with that. It does, of course, depend on how close by
your shops are, and how fit you are - but it's certainly not an
insurmountable problem. The new Tesco Express/Metro and Sainsburys Local
shops popping up all over the place help to meet this need very well in
London.

I manage to pick up many things at a fairly basic local coop within easy
walking and get more exotic fare at a convenient town centre sainsburys on
my way home from the station, before catching the bus. Better shops around
interchanges make the transit journey more useful, sometimes substituting
for separate journeys to the supermarket later on.

No different to chained car trips really.

--
Mark