Old August 16th 04, 12:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Many Birds with One Stone

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:31:31 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote (more or less):

Paul Weaver wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:04:31 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:20:39 -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Groceries would be tougher, since many of them need to be put in the
refrigerator or freezer upon arrival; I doubt my landlord would go that far.
Unfortunately there's no delivery service in my area, so I drive the 3
blocks to the store every other week.

You'd have to go to the store every day or two if you were carrying food
back.

Some of us cope with that. It does, of course, depend on how close by
your shops are, and how fit you are - but it's certainly not an
insurmountable problem. The new Tesco Express/Metro and Sainsburys Local
shops popping up all over the place help to meet this need very well in
London.

That's what I do at the moment, fortunatly my shifts and 24 hour stores
allow it (except on Sundays), still annoying waste of an hour every two
days though. Invovles the lovely walk along the A4 from North End road to
Cromwell Street and back of course - or a walk from costsly safeway at
shepherds bush with heavy bags

Tesco Kensington I take it... yes, the A4 isn't particularly nice to
walk along is it!

One solution which I haven't tried out myself is the elderly person's
shopping trolley thing which they wheel about like a suitcase. They
should really make them in patterns other than tartan; they might get
some custom from Imperial students! :-)

John Lewis sell them in matt black, at £26 for the largest/most
expensive.

(I bought one a few weeks ago.)

Aren't Express/Compact/Meetro stores more expensive? They certainly have
less of a choice - although I'm used to supermarkets selling clothes,
DVD's, TV's etc. Safeway at the bush is better in that regard, but not
best. Looking forward to moving out in 40 days

I had a choice between a Sainsburys Local practically next door and
Sainsburys on Cromwell Road about 15 mins walk away. The prices were
more expensive at the Local and the goods were more restricted - but
having everyday items close at hand helped extend the periods between
having to go to the larger store.

--
Cheers,
Euan

Old August 16th 04, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:00:55 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote (more or less):

In message , at 11:24:09 on Sat, 14
Aug 2004, Brimstone remarked:
"I've got three siblings and when we were kids we usually had
at least one dog. My mother walked to and from the shops,
about a mile each way, bringing the goods home in a shopping
trolley. Why are so many people wimps these days?"

Where does it say "supermarket" in that quote?

What other kinds of shopping trolley are there?

The kind that you can buy for taking your shopping home in. e.g. at
John Lewis for £26.

Old August 16th 04, 01:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:57:09 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote (more or less):

Lance Lamboy wrote:

Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for
delivery. Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they
put a slip on the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go
home without your groceries. The supermarket delivers your
groceries. There is a small fee for the service which you pay at the
checkout counter.

Not sure that that system is prevalent in the UK, although it's possible
that one or two places operate it.

Somerfield do it. You choose a two hour slot for same or next day
delivery, and they don't charge if you've spent £25 or more.

Old August 16th 04, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:08:20 +0100, "PeterE"
wrote (more or less):

Lance Lamboy wrote:

Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for
delivery. Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they
put a slip on the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go
home without your groceries. The supermarket delivers your
groceries. There is a small fee for the service which you pay at the
checkout counter.

Assuming you have physically visited the store, in what way is that more
convenient than taking the stuff home with you?

I can get 100 kilograms delivered. That's awkward and painful to
carry!

Old August 16th 04, 01:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:49:09 +0100,
wrote (more or less):

Roland Perry wrote:
If forced to choose, I'd be crazy to choose the car.

Depends on what journey you are doing.

I meant only ever using PT, or only ever using a car.

Like everyone who occasiuonally shifts a sofa has to buy their own
van for day-to-day transport?

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old August 16th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Gawnsoft typed

One solution which I haven't tried out myself is the elderly person's
shopping trolley thing which they wheel about like a suitcase. They
should really make them in patterns other than tartan; they might get
some custom from Imperial students! :-)

John Lewis sell them in matt black, at £26 for the largest/most
expensive.

(I bought one a few weeks ago.)

I think Tchibo have them on sale at the moment, for less ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 16th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Gawnsoft typed

wrote (more or less):

Lance Lamboy wrote:

Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for
delivery. Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they
put a slip on the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go
home without your groceries. The supermarket delivers your
groceries. There is a small fee for the service which you pay at the
checkout counter.

Assuming you have physically visited the store, in what way is that more
convenient than taking the stuff home with you?

I can get 100 kilograms delivered. That's awkward and painful to
carry!

Can you really eat 100kg of groceries? My, these cyclists do have big
appetites! ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 16th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Gawnsoft wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 16 Aug 2004:

Somerfield specify their delivery down to a 2-hour slot.

So do Tesco's and, I believe, Iceland.com

I normally get my shopping done at a time when I expect to be at home
anyway for 2 hours on the same or following day.

I tried getting our shopping delivered from Tesco, but husband said he'd
rather see what we were buying, thank you very much, so he goes. But I
do get it delivered if it's stuff like a lot of water (still or
sparkling) or fruit juice that neither of us could carry, and we aren't
going past in the car at an appropriate time.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 17th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote ...

I tried getting our shopping delivered from Tesco,

We regularly use Sainsburys to You for most things.

The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is the web site which seems rather
slow and touchy. Often wait ages for a page to appear (even with 512
broadband), and often get a message "Error on Page" which prevents me going
any further.

May just be my PC doing something odd, but try as we might, neither
Sainsburys nor I have managed to find the reason.

Anyone else experienced this?