Old August 13th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Many Birds with One Stone

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:32:52 on Thu, 12 Aug
2004, remarked:
Well, that's obviously *enough* usage for you, then. Odd how
it varies from person to person. PT's big drawback is assuming
one size fits all.

Er. Buses, buses with winding routes, buses on express routes,
trains, the underground, all that. Is that one-size? If so,
the worlds most fabulously comprehensive public transport system
could be sniped at by saying "it assumes one size fits all".
Perahps you mean PT's big drawback is not providing people with
their own car?

I was saying "one size does not fit all *people*", not "all routes". And
yes, the car is more successful at fitting, having everything on offer
from an old banger to a brand new Range Rover.

Old banger to brand new? Not so different to some bus routes then!

While cars are indeed invaluable in many instances for most people
at some time or another, it isn't true they always outperform PT.
If forced to choose, I'd be crazy to choose the car. And I have no
idea what your point is re all *people* vs all routes; I was
pointing out the dubious nature of saying that PT is in any sense
single sized. The sizings available may indeed not fit an array
of people, but _single_ sized it isn't[1].

[1] Unless, I suppose, you live somewhere with only a small
number of poorly connecting bus routes. But the newsgroups line
contains london and urban, so it's not clear that would be the
most relevant assumption here.

#Paul
Old August 13th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 at 20:44:26, Paul Weaver
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:27:35 +0100, Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 at 19:58:22, Paul Weaver
wrote:

That's what I do at the moment, fortunatly my shifts and 24 hour stores
allow it (except on Sundays), still annoying waste of an hour every two
days though. Invovles the lovely walk along the A4 from North End road
to Cromwell Street and back of course - or a walk from costsly safeway
at shepherds bush with heavy bags

What about North End Road Market, or doesn't that exist any more? I
used to shop there, years ago.

The market is way down the other end of the road, near fulham.

Ah, fair enough.

Why the
hell would I buy food from 6 or 7 different stalls (even if they did sell
what I wanted, instead of dodgy CD's and other forgeries) with dubious
hygiene at the best of time?

Sometimes the fruit and vegetables are better quality. Not always, I
agree!

I take it they do frozen pizzas and 6 packs
of orange juice there?

There is at least one small supermarket in that part of the street,
IIRC....
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 13th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 at 21:52:16, Greg Hennessy wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:27:35 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

Aren't Express/Compact/Meetro stores more expensive?

Sainsbury's are, by miles. I don't go to them if I can help it.

They are a veritable Lidl when compared to Waitrose.

Well, that's true. But Waitrose is *always* expensive, and Sainsbury's
only is in their "Local" format. Mind you, it's dearer than Tesco,
which in turn is dearer than Lidl (we have both in our street, so I go
to Lidl unless I want stuff which Lidl doesn't sell, like cut flowers,
in which case I go to Tesco. Lidl is nearer and its coleslaw & potato
salad are much nicer!).

Old August 13th 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at
08:31:17 on Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Lance Lamboy
remarked:
Public transit is more successful at fitting people than the private
automobile.

Some people.

The nearest parking lot to me is farther away than the nearest subway
station. Then when I got to my destination, the same would probably be
true. It's just easier to take the subway.

Yes, it will be true for some people. But try taking a train from
Atlanta to Orlando (rather than driving). Takes 2 days via Washington!
Old August 13th 04, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:02:28 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
08:31:17 on Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Lance Lamboy
remarked:
Public transit is more successful at fitting people than the private
automobile.

Some people.

The nearest parking lot to me is farther away than the nearest subway
station. Then when I got to my destination, the same would probably be
true. It's just easier to take the subway.

Yes, it will be true for some people. But try taking a train from
Atlanta to Orlando (rather than driving). Takes 2 days via Washington!

So the claim that driving is more successful at fitting all people is
demolished. As for Atlanta to Orlando, have you thought about taking a
plane or a bus? It is not at all clear that driving is more convenient
for that trip than public transit.

--
Lance Lamboy

"Go F*ck Yourself" ~ Dick Cheney

Old August 13th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 at 14:02:28, Roland Perry
wrote:

Yes, it will be true for some people. But try taking a train from
Atlanta to Orlando (rather than driving). Takes 2 days via Washington!

I'm afraid those distances mean nothing to me - how long would it take
if you drove? I loved Amtrak trains when I used them, so I wouldn't
actually mind 2 days, but if it's a case of "going to Birmingham by way
of Bethnal Green", then perhaps not!

Old August 13th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at
09:20:11 on Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Lance Lamboy
remarked:
So the claim that driving is more successful at fitting all people is
demolished.

There was no *absolute* claim to that effect. Indeed, it is your
absolute claim that PT is always more successful that is in peril.

As for Atlanta to Orlando, have you thought about taking a
plane or a bus? It is not at all clear that driving is more convenient
for that trip than public transit.

Everyone cringes when mentioning the bus in USA. Taking the plane will
be an economic decision. For a family of five, the car will likely win.