Old August 14th 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Many Birds with One Stone

In message , at 11:24:09 on Sat, 14
Aug 2004, Brimstone remarked:
"I've got three siblings and when we were kids we usually had
at least one dog. My mother walked to and from the shops,
about a mile each way, bringing the goods home in a shopping
trolley. Why are so many people wimps these days?"

Where does it say "supermarket" in that quote?

What other kinds of shopping trolley are there?

Old August 14th 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:24:09 on Sat,
14 Aug 2004, Brimstone remarked:
"I've got three siblings and when we were kids we usually
had at least one dog. My mother walked to and from the
shops, about a mile each way, bringing the goods home in a
shopping trolley. Why are so many people wimps these days?"

Where does it say "supermarket" in that quote?

What other kinds of shopping trolley are there?

Ones that you can buy and take home quite legititmately. I take it from that
that you have someone else to do your shopping for you or you use the
four-wheel motorised variety?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCat...ct_I d=999134 is an example.

Old August 14th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Lance Lamboy" wrote in message
news
That is not my claim. Sometimes a helicopter will be the best
transportation option. Othertimes a dog sled will be optimal. In Iraq,
it is foolish to travel in an unarmored vehicle.

Like LA?

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old August 14th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:43:24 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
13:19:59 on Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Lance Lamboy
remarked:
Most grocery stores do deliveries so why would a huge family have a
problem.

There are several practical problems.

You never get to see what's on special offer at the store that day, so
always buy at "list price".

You don't get a very good impression of what new products are coming on
the market, so you get stuck in a rut buying the things you are familiar
with.

Substitutions can be a big problem, with many stores taking a
sub-optimal approach to this. It means you can end up missing the one
vital ingredient for a recipe.

Occasionally you get things like "10kg of apples" instead of "10
apples". I can be sorted out, but is a pain.

And, obviously, you have to book a slot for the delivery and make sure
you are at home. If you are housebound, that's not an issue; but if you
are travelling elsewhere that day (especially by bus) the times you can
guarantee to be at home can be unpredictable.

Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for delivery.
Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they put a slip on
the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go home without your
groceries. The supermarket delivers your groceries. There is a small fee
for the service which you pay at the checkout counter.

It's just like when you go to a takeout/delivery pizza place. You can
place your order, wait, and then take your pizza home. Or you can place
your order, ask for delivery, and go home.

I don't personally get my groceries delivered but it is really popular
with elderly people.

--
Lance Lamboy

"Go F*ck Yourself" ~ Dick Cheney

Old August 14th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 12:15:09 on Sat, 14
Aug 2004, Brimstone remarked:

What other kinds of shopping trolley are there?

Ones that you can buy and take home quite legititmately.

[M&S url]

Ah, I wouldn't call that a *trolley*, more of a backpack on wheels.

I take it from that that you have someone else to do your shopping for
you or you use the four-wheel motorised variety?

I carry it in either a backpack-on-wheels (can't bring myself to call it
a trolley) or in the plastic bags the store provides.

Old August 14th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:15:09 on Sat, 14
Aug 2004, Brimstone remarked:

What other kinds of shopping trolley are there?

Ones that you can buy and take home quite legititmately.

[M&S url]

Ah, I wouldn't call that a *trolley*, more of a backpack on wheels.

I take it from that that you have someone else to do your shopping
for you or you use the four-wheel motorised variety?

I carry it in either a backpack-on-wheels (can't bring myself to call
it a trolley) or in the plastic bags the store provides.

I see your point about the back-pack bit. If you want a "proper" shopping
trolley try http://www.sholley.com :-)

Old August 14th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Lance Lamboy wrote:

Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for
delivery. Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they
put a slip on the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go
home without your groceries. The supermarket delivers your
groceries. There is a small fee for the service which you pay at the
checkout counter.

Not sure that that system is prevalent in the UK, although it's possible
that one or two places operate it.

Old August 14th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Brimstone" wrote in message
Is that Birmingham, Alabama or Birmingham, Warrwickshire?

Birmingham, West Midlands.
Or (offically, postal wise): Birmingham, United Kingdon.

Old August 14th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Lance Lamboy" wrote in message
news
Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for delivery.
Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they put a slip on
the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go home without your
groceries. The supermarket delivers your groceries. There is a small fee
for the service which you pay at the checkout counter.

Still have to be at home (and god help you if you're in the shower or
something) for a 2 hour window.

I don't personally get my groceries delivered but it is really popular
with elderly people.

Housebound people? Wow. Same with students too.

Old August 14th 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Lance Lamboy wrote:

Here is how it works. You go to the grocery store. You pick up your
groceries. You take them to the checkout counter. You ask for
delivery. Instead of bagging your groceries, they get boxed and they
put a slip on the box with your address, phone number, etc. You go
home without your groceries. The supermarket delivers your
groceries. There is a small fee for the service which you pay at the
checkout counter.

Assuming you have physically visited the store, in what way is that more
convenient than taking the stuff home with you?

It's just like when you go to a takeout/delivery pizza place. You can
place your order, wait, and then take your pizza home. Or you can
place your order, ask for delivery, and go home.

Does anyone actually physically go to a pizza shop or curry house to order
something for home delivery?

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
"The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crime