Old August 15th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Many Birds with One Stone

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:58:09 +0100, Derek * wrote:

But then is *spitefully* expensive. Say 20-25% more expensive than
ASDA.

That's an understatement.

One has opened locally replacing a Safeway, there is no way I'd do a weekly
shop there. Their prices are wholly unacceptable.

which in turn is dearer than Lidl (we have both in our street, so I go
to Lidl unless I want stuff which Lidl doesn't sell, like cut flowers,
in which case I go to Tesco. Lidl is nearer and its coleslaw & potato
salad are much nicer!).

Probably due to their German origin, there was a time for 15 years
after the war, when the Germans could not afford to eat fresh meat so
sausages and salads became the order of the day, as the years went by
this morphed into high quality sausages and salads.

Lidl's salads, cooked meats and cheeses are a revelation in terms of taste
and quality.

greg

--
Es ist mein Teil - nein
Mein Teil - nein

Old August 15th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 at 10:47:37, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 18:25:23 on Fri, 13
Aug 2004, Brimstone remarked:
My mother walked to and from the shops, about a mile each way, bringing
the goods home in a shopping trolley. Why are so many people wimps these
days?

Probably for the same reason they have central heating and don't spend
several hours a day setting and raking out coal fires, or have an
inside loo rather than a bucket in an outhouse. Standards have changed.

You'll also find that supermarkets dislike you removing their trolleys
these days - they have deposit schemes, and clever wheels that lock up
as you try to leave the premises.

Er - Brimstone didn't say a supermarket trolley, he said a shopping
trolley. Which is different.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 15th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 14 Aug 2004:
In message , at 11:24:09 on Sat, 14
Aug 2004, Brimstone remarked:
"I've got three siblings and when we were kids we usually had
at least one dog. My mother walked to and from the shops,
about a mile each way, bringing the goods home in a shopping
trolley. Why are so many people wimps these days?"

Where does it say "supermarket" in that quote?

What other kinds of shopping trolley are there?

Well, shopping trolleys! The kind that are like a large shopping-bag on
wheels.

Old August 15th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Mark Gibson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 Aug 2004:

I figure if they charge me $1.00 to "lease" a shopping cart, I might
as well keep it. The local Walmart doen't seem to care much when I
roll a shopping cart to where I live across the street. They just
send a cart person to pick them up every so often.

Don't you get your coin back when you return the trolley, as we do?

I'd far rather have a coin-operated trolley than a wheel-lock one, as
you can sometimes take them home, empty them, and then take them back
(or bribe a passing child with the coin).

Old August 15th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Mark Gibson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 Aug 2004:

I figure if they charge me $1.00 to "lease" a shopping cart, I might
as well keep it. The local Walmart doen't seem to care much when I
roll a shopping cart to where I live across the street. They just
send a cart person to pick them up every so often.

Don't you get your coin back when you return the trolley, as we do?

I'd far rather have a coin-operated trolley than a wheel-lock one, as
you can sometimes take them home, empty them, and then take them back
(or bribe a passing child with the coin).

At Sainsburys on Cromwell Road, both schemes are in operation
(coin-operated and wheel-lock). So if you try to take a trolley away
with you, it locks and you can't wheel it back to get the money back!

However, students are resourceful; when desperate a few of them will
just lift the trolley high enough over the locking area so that it
doesn't lock, et voila.

I think some years ago Sainsburys used to employ students to go round
the local area recovering trolleys that other students had nicked!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old August 15th 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Dave Arquati wrote:

I think some years ago Sainsburys used to employ students to go round
the local area recovering trolleys that other students had nicked!

Sounds like an enterprisding job creation scheme, even if not totally
legal.

Old August 15th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Brimstone" wrote in message
Dave Arquati wrote:

I think some years ago Sainsburys used to employ students to go round
the local area recovering trolleys that other students had nicked!

Sounds like an enterprisding job creation scheme, even if not totally
legal.

Shopping carts cost something like $70 from what I have seen in the paper.
Stealing shopping carts of course means higher prices have to paid by other
people.

Old August 15th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Jack May" wrote in message

"Brimstone" wrote in message
Dave Arquati wrote:

I think some years ago Sainsburys used to employ students to go round
the local area recovering trolleys that other students had nicked!

Sounds like an enterprisding job creation scheme, even if not totally
legal.

Shopping carts cost something like $70 from what I have seen in the paper.
Stealing shopping carts of course means higher prices have to paid by

other
people.

And returning them saves everyone money

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old August 15th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

Jack May wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
Dave Arquati wrote:

I think some years ago Sainsburys used to employ students to go
round the local area recovering trolleys that other students had
nicked!

Sounds like an enterprisding job creation scheme, even if not totally
legal.

Shopping carts cost something like $70 from what I have seen in the
paper. Stealing shopping carts of course means higher prices have to
paid by other people.

Quite so, which is why my comments were phrased in an ironic style.

Old August 16th 04, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:44:52 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:
So instead of getting the whatever that you carefully picked out in
the shop, at home and useful that afternoon; you get to take a day off
work, and wait in all of next Thursday, in the hope that the one they
deliver from the warehouse doesn't have a big scratch on the side.

Indeed. While I am very much part of the target demographic for
things like supermarket delivery, I just can't guarantee to be in at
any given point to receive delivery of an item, and I wouldn't want
such things delivering to work.

Somerfield specify their delivery down to a 2-hour slot.

I normally get my shopping done at a time when I expect to be at home
anyway for 2 hours on the same or following day.

--
Cheers,
Euan