Old August 20th 04, 08:48 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Global warming (was Boscastle)

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"David Chorley" wrote in message
om...

A change in the concentration of carbon dioxide
would have to be huge to perform this degree of effect.

2. Paeleontology.
The records of prehistoric London show a
savannah-like climate with species much more
like East Africa as recently as 10000 years ago

You sound like a knowledgeable bloke, but if global warming is hokum, why
does New Scientist tell me it's real? Is this to do with research grants,
like the asteroids heading towards the Earth that the astronomers find
whenever they are trying to get increases in funding?

Astronomers continually detect asteroids which will pass near Earth.
They quite correctly point out that there is a small probability of
impact. The media then blows this up, and Jo Public has no idea what
probability is, so the whole thing gets blown out of all proportion.
Subsequent obeservations (multiple observations are required to define
the orbit) reduce probability to zero.

Because of public ignorance, astronomers are now not sure how to
report potentially hazardous objects. Should they keep them secret?

Anyway, Spaceguard and related NEO (Near Earth Object) searches are
essential, because sooner or later (probably later, but maybe next
month) an asteroid is going obliterate a few 1000km2. It probably
happened twice last century. And it now appears that less than a
million years ago, we were hit by what Hollywood called an Extinction
Level Event. With amzing luck, it hit Antarctica, only causing tidal
waves and a 7m rise in sea level, but no huge dust cover.

Furthermore, aren't you concerned that the North Atlantic Conveyor seems to
be stopping, or is that hokum too?

More information is required, but given the impact of this event
hapenning, we need to investigate FAST. If it is, buy shares in treble
glazing firms. We will have a few decades to revamp our entire
infrastructure to handle a Labrador type of climate - yes the railways
could still run fine, but not in their current state.
Old August 21st 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:48:12 -0700, Alex Terrell wrote:
yes the railways could still run fine, but not in their current state.

Bit like now then?