Old August 22nd 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Boscastle (global warming)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:17:52 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Lukipela" wrote in message
om...

There was a tornado trying to form over where
I live at about 9 o'clock yesterday evening.

I saw one of these when I was in the Lake District in approx 1980. It looked
to reach all the way to the ground, but I was a long way off, so I can't be
sure. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think they have much power
when they form at British latitudes.

Apparently there are an average of 33 tornados per year in the UK
and taking into account land area the UK has the highest number
of reported tornados per square kilometer of any country in the
world.
See
http://www.torro.org.uk/
Fore more information.

Peter Harris
--
The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity.
Old August 22nd 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Global warming (was Boscastle)

"John Mullen" wrote in message
"Terry Harper" wrote in message

They don't know why there is a recent divergence. They are postulating.
Man-made additions to the CO2 in the atmosphere did not suddenly start

in
the 1980s.

If the scientific mainstream (say 9 out of 10 scientists who study this

kind
of thing for a living), and also the article *you* chose to highlight your
argument, both disagree with you, please do tell why your opinion is
nonetheless right.

Personally I don't know a scientist who does disagree with me, and certainly
the published opinion in the Magazines of the Royal Society of Chemistry
does not support those hypotheses.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old August 22nd 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default LU driver's managers told him to stop assisting stab victim

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:42:18 +0000 (UTC), "Piccadilly Pilot"
wrote:

Mark Hewitt wrote:

Dogs but not cats eh? I guess that's a throwback to when you had to
have a licence to keep a dog?

Correct.

Similarly, a dog-owner is liable for any damage done by said dog, but
a human who a cat choses to share a home with is not in regard to said
feline.

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old August 22nd 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Lukipela" wrote in message
m...

There was a tornado trying to form over where
I live at about 9 o'clock yesterday evening.

I saw one of these when I was in the Lake District in approx 1980. It

looked
to reach all the way to the ground, but I was a long way off, so I can't

be
sure. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think they have much

power
when they form at British latitudes.

Enough, say, to take the roof off a domestic garage, and it wouldn't do you
much good if it dropped the roof on top of you.

Going back on topic, it's recorded that a tornado took the roof off
Gunnersbury station on 8 December 1954 - though the record is presumably
wrong (it must have been some other variety of storm) as tornados are a
Summer phenomenon).
Peter

Old August 22nd 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

[...]

Really? Well, personally I once met a guy in a pub who claimed the Holocaust
never happened. And published opinion in the Daily Mail blames asylum
seekers for all our ills.

Seriously, you ought to go and read up on this stuff before you shoot your
mouth off again. It is a serious topic.

John

Old August 22nd 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Mullen" wrote in message

Seriously, you ought to go and read up on this stuff before you shoot your
mouth off again. It is a serious topic.

I have done. Have you ever done anything on environmental protection? Maybe
you might like to publish your credentials.

Old August 22nd 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Terry Harper" wrote in message
"John Mullen" wrote in message

Seriously, you ought to go and read up on this stuff before you shoot

your
mouth off again. It is a serious topic.

I have done.

Well, keep it up, old chap. Read more widely though...

Have you ever done anything on environmental protection? Maybe
you might like to publish your credentials.

Nope. I won't ask if you have because if you had you would surely know
better....

John

Old August 22nd 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Mullen" wrote in message
"Terry Harper" wrote in message
"John Mullen" wrote in message

Seriously, you ought to go and read up on this stuff before you shoot

your
mouth off again. It is a serious topic.

I have done.

Well, keep it up, old chap. Read more widely though...

Have you ever done anything on environmental protection? Maybe
you might like to publish your credentials.

Nope. I won't ask if you have because if you had you would surely know
better....

In that case you forfeit the right to comment further, since you have had
access to my qualifications since this started. I have answered every
question correctly, and received a string of snide remarks from someone who
is obviously afraid to reveal himself. Anyone with experience of the subject
would have been able to do far better.