Old December 16th 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...

units can be coupled to each other. The reason this
is not done on all stock is because it requires the
electrical wiring to be duplicated through the
coupling (couplers are either left or right handed,
IYSWIM), which is more expensive and more prone to failure.

I've no idea how its actually done but couldn't they just
be connected with seperate cables (instead of via the coupler),
which twist in the middle so to match up with the other unit?

eg:

A --- ----B
\ /
\ /
/ \
/ \
B--- ----A

Or just arrange the wires vertically in the middle.... but I don't think
it's that simple.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 16th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

And the turning needn't all be done before the loop is closed. It seems
perfectly possible to run trains (preferably in the late evening) out
of service Easling Common / Northfields - Hammersmith (cross to the
District) - Tower Hill - Aldgate - Edgware Rd - Hammersmith (cross to
the Picc) - Ealing Common / Northfields.

Old December 16th 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ups.com,
James typed:

And the turning needn't all be done before the loop is closed. It
seems perfectly possible to run trains (preferably in the late
evening) out of service Easling Common / Northfields - Hammersmith
(cross to the District) - Tower Hill - Aldgate - Edgware Rd -
Hammersmith (cross to the Picc) - Ealing Common / Northfields.

Oh yes. I wonder why they haven't thought of that. It seems much easier
than running them round the Heathrow loop.

*looks skywards*

Bob

Old December 16th 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, James
writes

And the turning needn't all be done before the loop is closed. It seems
perfectly possible to run trains (preferably in the late evening) out
of service Easling Common / Northfields - Hammersmith (cross to the
District) - Tower Hill - Aldgate - Edgware Rd - Hammersmith (cross to
the Picc) - Ealing Common / Northfields.

Not as easy as it seems. The people who can drive 73TS (like me) don't
know the route Hammersmith - Tower Hill - Aldgate - Edgware Road -
Hammersmith. The people who know this route can't drive a 73TS. Then
there is the problem that due to some odd electrical equipment - I think
the Static Converters fitted at refurb. (someone who knows will be along
shortly to elucidate) 73 TS isn't passed to travel over certain parts of
LU anyway.

The plan is to turn all trains on the last day the loop will be
available to us. Anything left over, I'm told arrangements will be made
for a Picc driver (Acton, I gather so no unusual moves for me :-() to do
a special stock move Northfields - Hammersmith - Mansion House (not sure
why they need to go this far?) - Reverse to High Street Ken, reverse
back to Hammersmith to use that triangle. He will have a District
'conductor' with him who knows that route.
Old December 16th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes

I've no idea how its actually done but couldn't they just be connected
with
seperate cables (instead of via the coupler), which twist in the middle
so
to match up with the other unit?

It's all done through the coupler face. There are no cables to be
connected/disconnected on this stock. A series of contacts are covered
up and as the trains come together this magically opens. The air is
connected in a similar fashion. It would require the whole coupling to
be redesigned (which would no doubt require a revised safety case),
tested, fitted and then training given to all involved. I can't see it
being worth it for a 20 month closure.

Old December 16th 04, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

Or just arrange the wires vertically in the middle.... but I don't think
it's that simple.

I suspect if that was done from the outset it would work fine. Isn't
that how mainline stock works, sort of?
Old December 16th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

The plan is to turn all trains on the last day the loop will be
available to us. Anything left over, I'm told arrangements will be
made for a Picc driver (Acton, I gather so no unusual moves for me
:-() to do a special stock move Northfields - Hammersmith - Mansion
House (not sure why they need to go this far?) - Reverse to High
Street Ken, reverse back to Hammersmith to use that triangle. He
will have a District 'conductor' with him who knows that route.

Why go all the way to Mansion House?

Clive Feather states that lineside shielding for 1973TS is only
available on the District between Ealing Common and Gloucester Road.
Unless shielding has been extended to Mansion House, the signalling is
going to go out to lunch if a 73TS is turned during traffic hours.
Why not go via the Cromwell Triangle instead? Or even Lillie Bridge?

Old December 16th 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes

I've no idea how its actually done but couldn't they just be connected
with seperate cables (instead of via the coupler), which twist in the
middle
so
to match up with the other unit?

eg:

The problem arises that in service, if a train brakes down and needs
assistance from the rear then a mechanical coupling cannot be made by
the end with the sprung buffer to another of the same. (I forget whether
this is A or D end.
--
Clive Coleman.
Old December 16th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve Fitzgerald
] writes

It's all done through the coupler face. There are no cables to be
connected/disconnected on this stock. A series of contacts are covered
up and as the trains come together this magically opens. The air is
connected in a similar fashion. It would require the whole coupling to
redesigned (which would no doubt require a revised safety case),
tested, fitted and then training given to all involved. I can't see it
being worth it for a 20 month closure.
--

We were taught to use a square with a clip to attach it to the coupler
called a presspahn (If I recall correctly) which covers the "Dutch oven"
Old December 16th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

The plan is to turn all trains on the last day the loop will be
available to us. Anything left over, I'm told arrangements will be
made for a Picc driver (Acton, I gather so no unusual moves for me
:-() to do a special stock move Northfields - Hammersmith - Mansion
House (not sure why they need to go this far?) - Reverse to High
Street Ken, reverse back to Hammersmith to use that triangle. He
will have a District 'conductor' with him who knows that route.

Why go all the way to Mansion House?

Clive Feather states that lineside shielding for 1973TS is only
available on the District between Ealing Common and Gloucester Road.
Unless shielding has been extended to Mansion House, the signalling is
going to go out to lunch if a 73TS is turned during traffic hours.
Why not go via the Cromwell Triangle instead? Or even Lillie Bridge?

I think reversing at Gloucester Road would mean wrong-direction running
on the inner Circle track to High St Kensington. Is that permitted? (or
is can trains cross from Glos Rd inner Circle back to the outer circle?)

Alternatively, going the other way around the triangle, you'd have to
run wrong-direction on the outer Circle track.

Lillie Bridge wouldn't result in a turn - the train would go in with
whatever end (let's say it's A) at the south end of the depot, but could
only leave the way it came or to Olympia, where A would be at the south
end. Leaving Olympia you would travel to Earl's Court, with no turn
having taken place.

Mansion House, as the first point with a reversing siding, is probably
easier operationally than reversing at the other points with a crossover
(South Kensington and Embankment).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7