Old February 16th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default KEN LIVINGSTONE: RACIST

d wrote:

I'm not defending anything or anyone here, but there's a massive difference
between a cog and the machine it goes in. Unless he compared that person to
Hitler, and not a guard, then your analogy is somewhat erroneous.

It would be if I agreed with your inherent assumption that the guards
were "just following orders" and had no moral responsibility to stop what
they were doing.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 16th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message
As far as I can make out he simply used the camp guard jibe as a
comparator because the reporter (who hasn't been criticised AFAIK) was
"only following orders". What is "racist" about that?

I don't think it's necessarily racist, though coming from a man who
champions political correctness to extreme it's more than a little
hypocritical.

But the thing that strikes me most is what an odd thing it was to say. If I
felt I was being harassed by a reporter, I can think of many things I might
do or say, but I really can't imagine the subject of concentration camps
coming into my head.

But only London would elect such an incompetent oddball as Ken Livingstone!

Old February 16th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:02:41 -0000, David Splett wrote:

But only London would elect ... Ken Livingstone!

That may be because only London could. It *is* where he stood...

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767311.html
(Class 455 unit 5743 masquerading as unit 5750 at Wimbledon in 1991
Old February 16th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
As far as I can make out he simply used the camp guard jibe as a
comparator because the reporter (who hasn't been criticised AFAIK)
was "only following orders". What is "racist" about that?

I don't think it's necessarily racist, though coming from a man who
champions political correctness to extreme it's more than a little
hypocritical.

But the thing that strikes me most is what an odd thing it was to
say. If I felt I was being harassed by a reporter, I can think of
many things I might do or say, but I really can't imagine the subject
of concentration camps coming into my head.

But only London would elect such an incompetent oddball as Ken
Livingstone!

Just in case you're not aware one of the excuses used by concentration camp
guards for their behaviour, and disallowed by the Nuremburg Trials, was that
they were "only following orders".

Given that the reporter in question was questioning Livingstone at the time
and place that he was, was in compliance with orders from his superior, what
is the difference?

Old February 16th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:06:01 +0000 (UTC), Brimstone
wrote:

David Splett wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
[...]

He didn't use that as justification for his actions.

And he didn't kill anyone, in case that evaded your attention.
Old February 16th 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

Given that the reporter in question was questioning Livingstone at the time
and place that he was, was in compliance with orders from his superior, what
is the difference?

You can't tell the difference? Be serious.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 16th 05, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

David Splett wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
[...]

Killing people is irrelevant, the excuse that one is "only following orders"
is and is not sufficient excuse for behaving in an unreasonable manner to
another person. If the reporter wasn't out to get a story against
Livingstone why did he break it? He could have simply let it pass.

Old February 17th 05, 06:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT: KEN LIVINGSTONE: RACIST

Brimstone wrote:

Killing people is irrelevant,

That shows a lack of respect for human life.

the excuse that one is "only following orders" is and is not
sufficient excuse for behaving in an unreasonable manner to
another person.

You think the systematic slaughter of millions is simply
"behaving in an unreasonable manner" and is on the order of
magnitude of a few unfair articles? Get real.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 17th 05, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

Killing people is irrelevant,

That shows a lack of respect for human life.

It's irrelevant to the discussion.

the excuse that one is "only following orders" is and is not
sufficient excuse for behaving in an unreasonable manner to
another person.

You think the systematic slaughter of millions is simply
"behaving in an unreasonable manner" and is on the order of
magnitude of a few unfair articles? Get real.

I didn't say it was of the same magnitude. Go back and read what I said, not
what you think I said , but to do that it looks as if you'll have to get rid
of your prejudices.