Old March 22nd 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

Default Driving Instructions

If I am on the Chiswick roundbaout and I want to get to central london what
roads should i be using (looking to get near Bow Street) - is it the A4?

I should have a GPS system but just wanna know whats going on if I cant use
it for whatever reason!

Old March 22nd 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

mo wrote:
If I am on the Chiswick roundbaout and I want to get to central
london what roads should i be using (looking to get near Bow
Street) - is it the A4?

Yes. I think you'll find that the signs say "Central London A4".

I should have a GPS system but just wanna know whats going on if I
cant use it for whatever reason!

It will be much more fun if the GPS has problems nearer to Bow Street!
By the way, why do you assume the GPS system will route you via the
Chiswick Roundabout? Where are you starting from?

--
Richard J.

Old March 22nd 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , mo
writes
If I am on the Chiswick roundbaout and I want to get to central london what
roads should i be using (looking to get near Bow Street) - is it the A4?

The straightest route is, theoretically via the A4, Hammersmith Flyover,
Cromwell Road, Piccadilly underpass, Piccadilly Circus then via
Haymarket to Trafalgar Sq, Strand, Aldwych, etc.

However, it will all depend upon the time of day, and the type of
vehicle you are driving (you are not allowed to take commercial vehicles
or vehicles with adverts through the royal parks) as this will affect
the route.

Lets take a fairly quiet time. I would go from Cromwell Road to
Knightsbridge, Hyde park Corner, Constitution Hill, The Mall, Trafalgar
Sq, Duncannon St, The Strand, Aldwych, L Catherine St, L Exeter St, R
Wellington St forward to Bow St. Where *exactly* are you going in Bow St
and what time are you travelling. (at least my knowledge is still up to
date g)

I should have a GPS system but just wanna know whats going on if I cant use
it for whatever reason!

You need to be a bit concerned as there are some places in central
London where GPS signal is lost and you've gone past the point you
needed before you get the signal back.

In case you're wondering I am a working licensed taxi (black cab) driver
and also have a GPS system in my cab so can speak from experience.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old March 22nd 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message
mo wrote:
If I am on the Chiswick roundbaout and I want to get to central
london what roads should i be using (looking to get near Bow
Street) - is it the A4?

Yes. I think you'll find that the signs say "Central London A4".

I should have a GPS system but just wanna know whats going on if I
cant use it for whatever reason!

It will be much more fun if the GPS has problems nearer to Bow Street!
By the way, why do you assume the GPS system will route you via the
Chiswick Roundabout? Where are you starting from?

we start in Southampton - last time we went I dont think it did go via the
chiswick roundbaout, but the Chiswick roundabout is about the only focal
point I know around London because I use it for the A406 to visit relatives
in North London and I know it also has roads going towards Central London -
so where will I end up if I go on the A4?

Old March 22nd 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
Lets take a fairly quiet time. I would go from Cromwell Road to
Knightsbridge, Hyde park Corner, Constitution Hill, The Mall, Trafalgar
Sq, Duncannon St, The Strand, Aldwych, L Catherine St, L Exeter St, R
Wellington St forward to Bow St. Where *exactly* are you going in Bow St
and what time are you travelling. (at least my knowledge is still up to
date g)

In a Car on Saturday about 4ish. We are going to Russell Street to a theatre
which is right enxt to Bow Street (i figure more ppl know Bow street)

The route you list above sounds similar to the one the GPS system took us to
last time.. i def remember going past Harrods, the strand and places like
that! (and under the arch)

Old March 22nd 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , mo
writes
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
Lets take a fairly quiet time. I would go from Cromwell Road to
Knightsbridge, Hyde park Corner, Constitution Hill, The Mall, Trafalgar
Sq, Duncannon St, The Strand, Aldwych, L Catherine St, L Exeter St, R
Wellington St forward to Bow St. Where *exactly* are you going in Bow St
and what time are you travelling. (at least my knowledge is still up to
date g)

In a Car on Saturday about 4ish. We are going to Russell Street to a theatre

The Theatre Royal by any chance?

which is right enxt to Bow Street (i figure more ppl know Bow street)

The route you list above sounds similar to the one the GPS system took us to
last time.. i def remember going past Harrods, the strand and places like
that! (and under the arch)

At that time of day you shouldn't get too much trouble with the traffic,
BUT you can't use Constitution Hill and The Mall because they are shut
at that time on a Sunday. There is also the possibility that there may
be a demonstration or some other reason why you will be diverted so try
to plan for that possibility.

From Southampton you will be coming in along the M3, then the A316, go
past Twickenham and Richmond then use the flyover ( a bit narrow and
bumpy but saves a lot of waiting time at the lights) at the Hogarth
Roundabout (not Chiswick) to get to the A4.

There are a few possibilities for you to get to Russell Street. Try this
one.
From Brompton Road
R Beachamp Place (just before you get to Harrods)
Forward (bear L slightly) Pond St
R Sloane St (or if you feel confident R at Lyall St which is after
Sloane St)
Sloane Sq
L Cliveden Place
through to Lower Grosvenor Place
L Buckingham Palace Road
L into St James Park (immediately in from of Buckinghamn Palace)
R & L Birdcage Walk
F Parliament Sq
F Bridge St (towards Westminster Bridge)
L Victoria Embankment
L Temple Place (immediately after you've gone under Waterloo Bridge)
L Arundel St
L Strand
R Aldwych
L Drury Lane
L Russell Street

Old March 22nd 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message news:5

BUT you can't use Constitution Hill and The Mall because they are shut at
that time on a Sunday.

we are going on a Saturday! we are going to the Fortune Theatre...

From Southampton you will be coming in along the M3, then the A316, go
past Twickenham and Richmond then use the flyover ( a bit narrow and bumpy
but saves a lot of waiting time at the lights) at the Hogarth Roundabout
(not Chiswick) to get to the A4.

the route i normally take is M3, M25, M4 to Chiswick Roundabout - I can joi
nthe A4 that way cant I?

where does the A4 end up? will it be easy enough to find signs pointing to
covent garden way (or what signs should we look for)

also last time we went we stayed in a NCP car park but i noticed a lot of
car parking spaces on roads, does russell street have any and if not any
large roads to check out before the NCP?

There are a few possibilities for you to get to Russell Street. Try this
one.

cheers - i have a feeling we will get los tand it will all go to pot

Old March 22nd 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

mo wrote:
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message news:5

BUT you can't use Constitution Hill and The Mall because they are
shut at that time on a Sunday.

we are going on a Saturday! we are going to the Fortune Theatre...

From Southampton you will be coming in along the M3, then the
A316, go past Twickenham and Richmond then use the flyover ( a bit
narrow and bumpy but saves a lot of waiting time at the lights) at
the Hogarth Roundabout (not Chiswick) to get to the A4.

the route i normally take is M3, M25, M4 to Chiswick Roundabout - I
can joi nthe A4 that way cant I?

No point. It's a longer way round, and you'll hit the roadworks on M25
near Heathrow and quite possibly a queue on M4 approaching Chiswick. M3
to its end, then A316 is much more direct.

where does the A4 end up? will it be easy enough to find signs
pointing to covent garden way (or what signs should we look for)

also last time we went we stayed in a NCP car park but i noticed a
lot of car parking spaces on roads, does russell street have any
and if not any large roads to check out before the NCP?

Going into Theatreland on a Saturday, you should expect lots of
congestion, lots of one-way streets, inadequate signs for your purpose,
virtually all street parking spaces occupied. I don't know about NCP
car parks in the area. I'm wondering why you are planning to drive all
the way. I wouldn't dream of driving that far into the centre on a
Saturday.

You might like to consider doing the last bit by Tube or train. For
example:

- Park in multi-storey next to Richmond station (just off A316),
continue by train to Waterloo, pleasant walk over Waterloo Bridge
- Park at Chiswick Station (just off A316, free street parking
available), trains every 15 minutes to Waterloo.
- Park at Hammersmith (not sure where but it can't be worse than the
centre), continue by Piccadilly Line to Covent Garden.
--
Richard J.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
mo wrote:

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message news:5

BUT you can't use Constitution Hill and The Mall because they are
shut at that time on a Sunday.

we are going on a Saturday! we are going to the Fortune Theatre...

From Southampton you will be coming in along the M3, then the
[...]

Much of the on-street parking in Kensington is free after 1.30pm on a
Saturday; it should be easy enough to park on the northern part of
Gloucester Road (turn left off the A4) or one of the side streets just
off it and dive into the Tube there for the Piccadilly line, 15 minutes
to Covent Garden.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 22nd 05, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message news:zm20e.3623
No point. It's a longer way round, and you'll hit the roadworks on M25
near Heathrow and quite possibly a queue on M4 approaching Chiswick. M3
to its end, then A316 is much more direct.

i notice that the A316 goes onto the Chiswick roundabout - so would it have
been quicker for me to have used this route to the Chiswick roundabout all
those times i went there in the past rather than the M4 route???

http://multimap.co.uk/map/browse.cgi...=6&right.y=142

so are you suggesting i take the A316 onto the chiswick roundbaout and then
the A4?

whats the a316 like - is it 1 or 2 lanes and is traffic free flowing on it -
is it as easy to drive on as the M4 would be and how much time would i be
saving?

cheers