Old October 22nd 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

In message . ac.uk,
Alan J. Flavell writes
a compulsory ticket area

What would this be then? I've never seen signs to say, "You must be in
possession of a ticket to pass this spot.
--
Clive

Old October 22nd 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim \(moved to sweden\)" typed

Not a solution at all. How much of my time am I expected
to use up to receive my 40p refund?

Too true, and how much of your, or your employer's phone bill? We should ask.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 22nd 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TKD wrote:
So, what happens if the Bus card-reader is broken, and the driver
waves you on - happens a couple of times per month on the routes that
I use (308, 678). Take it I should insist on paying cash?

You can add the 8, 277 & 15 to that list and countless more probably.

The official TfL position is that you should pay the cash fare and request
a refund of the price difference from them...

Unless you were capped that day in which case you would be entitled to
a full refund.

Or if that journey was the last one that day and took you past a cap then
you would get a refund of any extra you paid in total beyond the cap.

Not a very elegant solution.

Surely since they advertise that Oyster Prepay is an accepted form of
payment, and given that you have enough credit to pay, it's totally
their problem...?

I was having a discussion along these lines with a friend yesterday, who
said that he was on a bus recently where someone got on and tried to pay
for a cash fare - with a £50 note. Unsurprisingly the driver wouldn't
accept it. Apparently the whole bus had to wait for a few minutes whilst
they wrangled about it (and I think the driver just gave up after a while).

Do TfL advertise appropriate means to pay? (e.g. not £50?)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old October 22nd 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:28:21 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"TKD" typed

So, what happens if the Bus card-reader is broken, and the driver
waves you on - happens a couple of times per month on the routes that
I use (308, 678). Take it I should insist on paying cash?

You can add the 8, 277 & 15 to that list and countless more probably.

And 302 & 305...

The official TfL position is that you should pay the cash fare and request
a refund of the price difference from them...

Unless you were capped that day in which case you would be entitled to
a full refund.

Or if that journey was the last one that day and took you past a cap then
you would get a refund of any extra you paid in total beyond the cap.

Not a very elegant solution.

Time-consuming above the line of duty IMHO...

Not that a punter's time *ever* counts for anything. I wonder how many
hours' work are lost because punters try phoning their
Council/bank/doctor/hospital and are put on 'hold' for ages or have to
redial 20 times to get through?

Technically none, because they should be phonig in their own time, not
their employer's.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War, and in Films & TV:
http://www.nickcooper.org.uk/
Old October 22nd 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 21 Oct 2005 07:01:38 -0700, "Richard Adamfi"
wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

Of course the bus company might have *accidentally* erased the tape by then.

However, if you request to see the CCTV but it is no longer available,
then the fact that you were willing to request the CCTV shows strong
evidence in your favour of your innocence.

Or bluffing.

Old October 22nd 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
TKD wrote:
[...]

The legal tender rules apply (as you acquire the debt when
you insist on making the journey).

As do the rules about giving change, which are that they don't
have to.

Insist on paying with a 50 pound note or get a free ride
and you are (legally) not going to win. Technically, by insisting
on change, you have not offered to pay.

A broken Oyster machine is a completely different (untested)
problem.

tim

Old October 22nd 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Clive wrote:
In message . ac.uk,
Alan J. Flavell writes

a compulsory ticket area

What would this be then? I've never seen signs to say, "You must be in
possession of a ticket to pass this spot.

Leeds railway station on passing from the councourse to the platforms.

Raoul
Old October 22nd 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:20:11 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

I was having a discussion along these lines with a friend yesterday, who
said that he was on a bus recently where someone got on and tried to pay
for a cash fare - with a £50 note. Unsurprisingly the driver wouldn't
accept it. Apparently the whole bus had to wait for a few minutes whilst
they wrangled about it (and I think the driver just gave up after a while).

The whole subject of Legal Tender, the difference between settling an
existing debt and offering to enter into a new transaction, the
obligation to give change etc. is a fascinating one.

I trust we will now hear the results of research, not off-the-cuff
opinions. But I doubt it :-)
Old October 22nd 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:40:50 +0100, Clive
wrote:

What would this be then? I've never seen signs to say, "You must be in
possession of a ticket to pass this spot.

There's loads on the DLR. And it's been implicit since forever. Why
else issue platform tickets?