Old December 31st 05, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default One Day Travelcards on Oyster?

What's the reason these aren't available? Points for PR reason(s) and
real reason(s), since oystercard.com doesn't even deign to give me one
of the former. Since the system works for 7 day travelcards I bet the
real reason isn't a technical one. 3 dayers don't work either - I
suppose because these descended from the weekend travelcard, which is
more like a odtc than a season ticket.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old December 31st 05, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Dec 2005, Larry Lard wrote:

What's the reason these aren't available? Points for PR reason(s) and
real reason(s), since oystercard.com doesn't even deign to give me one
of the former.

Could it be that since we've got capping, we don't really need 1DTCs?

Since the system works for 7 day travelcards I bet the real reason isn't
a technical one.

Makes sense.

tom

--
TORG GROWS TIRED OF OBEYING PUNY HUMANS. SOON TORG WILL BREAK FREE AND
CRUSH THEM WITH HIS METAL CLAWS. In the meantime, Torg enjoys making
Old December 31st 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote in
h.li:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2005, Larry Lard wrote:

What's the reason these aren't available? Points for PR reason(s) and
real reason(s), since oystercard.com doesn't even deign to give me
one of the former.

Could it be that since we've got capping, we don't really need 1DTCs?

Not totally true - prepay doesnt work on National Rail which is the main
reason I buy 1 day travelcards.
Old December 31st 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Since the system works for 7 day travelcards I bet the
real reason isn't a technical one.

TfL wants us to buy our tickets online or by telephone and for us
to do it in fewer transactions. i.e. by holding a pay as you go balance.

Selling one day travelcards on Oyster would involve more transactions
than using prepay+capping. Also tickets cannot be purchased online
for same-day use (you have to do it the day before). Assuming most
people would continue to buy travelcards on day of use, they would
have to buy them at the station and the TfL business plan (and use of
technology) is about getting sales out of stations.

Old December 31st 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , TKD
writes

Assuming most people would continue to buy travelcards on day of use,
they would have to buy them at the station and the TfL business plan
(and use of technology) is about getting sales out of stations.

Quite a few of us buy our one-day travelcards in the newsagents next to
the bus stop.

--
Paul Terry

Old December 31st 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Andrew Black (delete obvious bit) wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote in
h.li:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2005, Larry Lard wrote:

What's the reason these aren't available? Points for PR reason(s) and
real reason(s), since oystercard.com doesn't even deign to give me
one of the former.

Could it be that since we've got capping, we don't really need 1DTCs?

Not totally true - prepay doesnt work on National Rail which is the main
reason I buy 1 day travelcards.

I know - and capping also loses in the crucial midnight-to-0430 window,
too, and there are probably other issues which don't leap immediately to
mind. That's why i qualified 'need' with 'really' - these aren't huge
issues, although i admit that the NR issue is pretty big.

tom

--
When I see a man on a bicycle I have hope for the human race. --
H. G. Wells
Old December 31st 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Assuming most people would continue to buy travelcards on day of use, they would have to buy them
at the station and the TfL business plan (and use of technology) is about getting sales out of
stations.

Quite a few of us buy our one-day travelcards in the newsagents next to the bus stop.

I doubt they would make it a "from newsagents only" product.

Old January 1st 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:44:47 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

I know - and capping also loses in the crucial midnight-to-0430 window,
too, and there are probably other issues which don't leap immediately to
mind. That's why i qualified 'need' with 'really' - these aren't huge
issues, although i admit that the NR issue is pretty big.

Capping is supposed to work from 0430 to 0430. Also, with the new
fares, you get a 50p discount if you choose to sacrifice National
Rail, although that could be argued to undermine the integrated manner
of the One Day Travelcard.
Old January 1st 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

I know - and capping also loses in the crucial midnight-to-0430 window,
too, and there are probably other issues which don't leap immediately to
mind. That's why i qualified 'need' with 'really' - these aren't huge
issues, although i admit that the NR issue is pretty big.

Capping is supposed to work from 0430 to 0430. Also, with the new
fares, you get a 50p discount if you choose to sacrifice National
Rail, although that could be argued to undermine the integrated manner
of the One Day Travelcard.

Yes it does. In fact on the statement you get from Oyster detailing all
transactions for the last 3 months 1am is 25:00 and 2.15am is 26:15.
i.e. part of the previous day.

Old January 1st 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, TKD wrote:

I know - and capping also loses in the crucial midnight-to-0430
window, too, and there are probably other issues which don't leap
immediately to mind. That's why i qualified 'need' with 'really' -
these aren't huge issues, although i admit that the NR issue is pretty
big.

Capping is supposed to work from 0430 to 0430.

Yes it does. In fact on the statement you get from Oyster detailing all
transactions for the last 3 months 1am is 25:00 and 2.15am is 26:15.
i.e. part of the previous day.

Ah, sorry, my mistake.

Also, with the new fares, you get a 50p discount if you choose to
sacrifice National Rail, although that could be argued to undermine the
integrated manner of the One Day Travelcard.

Hmm. It's really that you get a 50p discount if you get your 1DTC through
Oyster pre-pay capping rather than on paper, with the sacrifice of NR
being a consequence of NR not supporting pre-pay, but it comes to much the
same thing. I don't think i buy the argument that this undermines
integration - everything that worked before works now, it's just that some
lucky punters (those sensible enough to live north of the river, mostly!)
will get a 50p bonus.

tom

--
Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, and then perhaps we will learn the
truth. -- Friedrich Kekule